Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Weird behavior on Edelux 2 Light

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Weird behavior on Edelux 2 Light

Old 08-09-19, 01:43 AM
  #1  
jade408
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,532

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 41 Posts
Weird behavior on Edelux 2 Light

I have a new bike, with an Edelux 2. Something is a bit off, and I can't seem to properly describe it. So the light field seems absurdly short, the light is topping out at around 2 meters ahead. Then the light just seems to bunch up and not illuminate any further. I can't see any issues with the mounting, and I haven't ridden much at night yet - but the light pattern is different than I remember on my previous bike.

Should troubleshooting start with the hub, wires, wiring, or light?
jade408 is offline  
Old 08-09-19, 05:32 AM
  #2  
tacreamer
Go Ride
 
tacreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 120

Bikes: Enough +1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures? It sounds like it’s mounted upside down.
tacreamer is offline  
Old 08-09-19, 08:57 AM
  #3  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 53 Posts
is it mounted at a different height? Seems like you just need to aim it up a bit more. I always find that a bit annoying. Particularly on the IQ-X, where it's really easy to break the mount

My criteria is mostly to illuminate warning signs from a distance, but not up close. Then I go out and ride some steep hills and see if it is too scary at the bottom. Usually have to aim up a little more for that,.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 08-09-19, 11:36 AM
  #4  
jade408
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,532

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
is it mounted at a different height? Seems like you just need to aim it up a bit more. I always find that a bit annoying. Particularly on the IQ-X, where it's really easy to break the mount

My criteria is mostly to illuminate warning signs from a distance, but not up close. Then I go out and ride some steep hills and see if it is too scary at the bottom. Usually have to aim up a little more for that,.
It is mounted around the same height as I had on my previous bike. Underneath a front rack. Right now it is only illuminating a tiny bit ahead on the road...but I also don't exactly know how far it is lighting up. It is definitely stopping abruptly just ahead of my bike on the road. Max 6 feet ahead....

Originally Posted by tacreamer View Post
Pictures? It sounds like it’s mounted upside down.
Hmm, that is a possibility. Will take a look and take a pic...there is a special upside down mount version right too?
jade408 is offline  
Old 08-09-19, 11:46 AM
  #5  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Posts: 37,469

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5625 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 154 Posts
German law requires bike headlights to have a certain beam shape. There must be a sharp cutoff at the top of the beam to prevent blinding people. This is a good thing. It also mandates a maximum power, which I think is a bad thing. To make use of the lower power, the makers work hard to get the most out of the little power the lights emit. The specially shaped reflector puts most of the energy at the top of the beam. By aiming the light right, the light spreads as if it is shone from above, i.e. the close part of the field to the bike is not brighter than the far part. Definitely make sure the light isn't upside down, but I'm guessing it's not. Make sure it's aimed high enough. If your mechanics are used to lights made for the American market, they will point it down to prevent blinding people. A German spec light should be pointed straight ahead.

Try to ride close to a wall or some pillars and see where the top of the beam is on vertical surfaces. It should be right at the height of the light or maybe a tiny bit lower. This will ensure it doesn't go into anyone's eyes.

One nice thing about the German law is that these lights work well elsewhere. They don't have to have different designs for different markets. They mass produce these lights, and they're not terribly expensive.

Another annoying thing about the law is that it doesn't allow for flashing headlights or taillights. The authors claim flashing lights are too distractive. Clearly, many of us disagree.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 08-09-19, 12:39 PM
  #6  
gecho
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,260

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought this bracket for keeping my edelux 2 mounted upright while positioned beneath my rack. https://velo-orange.com/collections/...-light-bracket

There is an edelux 2 designed to be mounted upside down but I decided to just go with the standard one and get a suitable bracket.
gecho is offline  
Old 08-09-19, 01:03 PM
  #7  
jade408
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,532

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
German law requires bike headlights to have a certain beam shape. There must be a sharp cutoff at the top of the beam to prevent blinding people. This is a good thing. It also mandates a maximum power, which I think is a bad thing. To make use of the lower power, the makers work hard to get the most out of the little power the lights emit. The specially shaped reflector puts most of the energy at the top of the beam. By aiming the light right, the light spreads as if it is shone from above, i.e. the close part of the field to the bike is not brighter than the far part. Definitely make sure the light isn't upside down, but I'm guessing it's not. Make sure it's aimed high enough. If your mechanics are used to lights made for the American market, they will point it down to prevent blinding people. A German spec light should be pointed straight ahead.

Try to ride close to a wall or some pillars and see where the top of the beam is on vertical surfaces. It should be right at the height of the light or maybe a tiny bit lower. This will ensure it doesn't go into anyone's eyes.

One nice thing about the German law is that these lights work well elsewhere. They don't have to have different designs for different markets. They mass produce these lights, and they're not terribly expensive.

Another annoying thing about the law is that it doesn't allow for flashing headlights or taillights. The authors claim flashing lights are too distractive. Clearly, many of us disagree.
I had the same before, and I don't remember the beam pattern working the same way. What is different, is the range is ending after only a few feet, but it is kind of bunching up at the edge of the beam, as opposed to ending in a clean line. I remember having maybe 20 feet of light before....even though it got dinner over the distance (which was fine).

The upside down hypothesis is a good one actually.
jade408 is offline  
Old 08-09-19, 01:20 PM
  #8  
tacreamer
Go Ride
 
tacreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 120

Bikes: Enough +1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is mounted around the same height as I had on my previous bike. Underneath a front rack. Right now it is only illuminating a tiny bit ahead on the road...but I also don't exactly know how far it is lighting up. It is definitely stopping abruptly just ahead of my bike on the road. Max 6 feet ahead....



Hmm, that is a possibility. Will take a look and take a pic...there is a special upside down mount version right too?
Yes, there is a special made upside down version of the Edelux II https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/h...r-hub-dynamos/
tacreamer is offline  
Old 08-09-19, 02:20 PM
  #9  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Posts: 37,469

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5625 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 154 Posts
@jade408, maybe your previous one was upside down and you got used to it. It is supposed to be bunched up at the far end. It will reach out farther and spread out if you point it higher.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.