Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has anyone use Rockbros Roof-Top Suction Bike Rack

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-10-19, 08:32 AM
Taha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I have a question, has anyone here use the Rockbros Roof-Top Suction Bike Bicycle Car Rack Carrier before?

I have a friend who is using Sea Sucker and I think that product is very expensive.

I found a cheaper alternative which is the Rockbros Roof-Top Suction. But I don't know if its good.

Any advise and feedback?

Thanks
Old 08-10-19, 08:34 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Rockbros = pure Chinese.
Old 08-10-19, 09:21 AM
ttusomeone

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think attaching your bike to the roof of your car via suction cups and driving at highway speeds is the place you want to try and save a few dollars - I'd recommend going with the tried and true brand. If you're wanting to save money, I'd buy the marine grade suction cups SeaSucker uses and try to fabricate a rack yourself - or look for people selling used ones.
Likes For ttusomeone:
Old 08-10-19, 09:43 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Yep, what they ^ said.
Old 08-10-19, 09:49 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
My phone holder uses suction cup to attach to the windshield. this works fine, but every few weeks i have to re-suction because some air penetrates the vacuum. So now add significant windforces and a bike heavier than my phone.......

Suction cups are fine for short term. Like glazing installation, but not for long term.
Old 08-10-19, 09:54 AM
ttusomeone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
My phone holder uses suction cup to attach to the windshield. this works fine, but every few weeks i have to re-suction because some air penetrates the vacuum. So now add significant windforces and a bike heavier than my phone.......

Suction cups are fine for short term. Like glazing installation, but not for long term.
FWIW, you can't compare the suction cups that hold your phone with the high-grade suction cups on SeaSucker racks. I've used their racks before with no issues, and I'd put them in the category of short term use rather than long term use, since you are only using them for a few hours at a time before at least checking the suction cups if not removing the rack altogether.
Old 08-10-19, 10:57 AM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ttusomeone
FWIW, you can't compare the suction cups that hold your phone with the high-grade suction cups on SeaSucker racks. I've used their racks before with no issues, and I'd put them in the category of short term use rather than long term use, since you are only using them for a few hours at a time before at least checking the suction cups if not removing the rack altogether.
i agree. i have been using a seasucker for about 4 months with great success. i regularly drive 70+ mph on the freeway with it on my car.( i have a 2010 specialized roubaix bike, soon to be a 2014 roubaix) the only time the rack is on your car is when it's in use. if you aren't using it the rack it is in the trunk of the car, compared to the phone suction cup that stays on the car full time..
Old 08-10-19, 12:02 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
You would never catch me using a roof rack let alone one with suction cups. Suction cups are you serious?

Roof racks have too many problems. You risk the roof being scratched every time you mount the rack or the bike. And you can forget the bike is up there and drive under low clearance.

Spend the extra money and get a hitch rack.No scratches and a solid mount.
Old 08-10-19, 12:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,578 Posts
I wouldn't use any RockBros product, all of their "designs" are just stolen from more quality manufacturers and made very cheaply in China. I personally wouldn't trust the Sea Sucker stuff much anyway so a cheap knockoff I wouldn't trust at all. Get a quality hitch rack if you want to carry your bike, Thule, Küat, Yakima, Saris... and then you won't have to worry so much.
Old 08-10-19, 01:34 PM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

the suction cups on a seasucker rack are incredibly strong. i attached the front part with 3 suction cups on the vertical side of a spray booth at work. and it easily supported myself and 2 co-workers weight without problems. i weight 225lbs, 1 co worker weighs 210 and the other was 175.
each suction cup is rated to hold 200+ lbs ( i have to read the instruction for exact weight ratings) and a seasucker has 4. 3 on the front part and 1 in the rear.
Old 08-10-19, 03:03 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by mrt2you
the suction cups on a seasucker rack are incredibly strong. i attached the front part with 3 suction cups on the vertical side of a spray booth at work. and it easily supported myself and 2 co-workers weight without problems. i weight 225lbs, 1 co worker weighs 210 and the other was 175.
each suction cup is rated to hold 200+ lbs ( i have to read the instruction for exact weight ratings) and a seasucker has 4. 3 on the front part and 1 in the rear.
"incredibly strong" until you fail to suction one correctly or it simply fails. You tested in a stable enviroment. There is a heck of a lot of vibration and flexing going on your roof. It is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 08-10-19, 03:42 PM
mrt2you

the fail to suction one correctly argument could be used on any bike rack. failure to properly secure a latch on any bike rack and it can easily fall off.
using the suction pump is idiot proof. place it on the car, pump until the pump retracts into the housing. there is a bright orange warning mark on the to easily see from a distance if the vacuum is lost or weakening. just like anything you need to use common sense to use it. you can't use it on a dirty surface, the cups must be clean and kept clean. when you store it away there are plastic caps to protect the cups from nicks that cause vacuum loss.
according to the FAQ on seasucker website. they have tested them on a NASCAR race car at 140mph without problems. they also recommend regular inspections of the cup pumps for vacuum loss during use.
i myself have driven 200+ miles at freeway speeds, 80+mph, without any problems.

i myself like it. if you don't i won't have any problem with that also. there is more than 1 right answer for almost any situation.
i like it because it's easy to use, you don't have this ugly thing on your car when not in use, it's light and extremely easy to install and stow away, and my favorite is it's easily transferred to other cars without additional effort.

the biggest downside is it can leave light marks where the cups were on your paint. they are most noticeable in the mornings when dew is on your car or you drive down a dusty road. a quick wipe with cleaner or wax and they are gone. i would assume that if you use it a LOT in the same exact place it might leave a fade mark in your paint just like anything that is left on your paint when the car is in the sun for long times. the other big problem is it must be used on a smooth surface so it won't work on every car.

here is a link to the FAQ https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjS882onfnjAhXPLc0KHUhqBgcQFjABegQ IABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.seasucker.com%2Fapps%2Fhelp-center&usg=AOvVaw3GLqCI_sex_69wBpQB5TO9

Last edited by mrt2you; 08-10-19 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-10-19, 05:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I wouldn't use any RockBros product, all of their "designs" are just stolen from more quality manufacturers and made very cheaply in China. I personally wouldn't trust the Sea Sucker stuff much anyway so a cheap knockoff I wouldn't trust at all. Get a quality hitch rack if you want to carry your bike, Thule, Küat, Yakima, Saris... and then you won't have to worry so much.
The cycling industry has, for decades, copied itself.
Japanese brands copied French and Italian component and frame designs, for example. You know this though.

I'm not suggesting rockbros is good, but citing a company copying another as a bad thing is...different from how much of the last half century has gone in the cycling industry.
Old 08-10-19, 07:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The cycling industry has, for decades, copied itself.
Japanese brands copied French and Italian component and frame designs, for example. You know this though.

I'm not suggesting rockbros is good, but citing a company copying another as a bad thing is...different from how much of the last half century has gone in the cycling industry.

I guess in a sense but I feel like what RockBros and others are doing is a bit different then some of the other copies out there. There are some that are the direct copies with no changes except in lower quality or manufacturing standards and then there are some that are similar but different maybe not in looks but in material. Frames are a perfect example of this, a lot of steel frames especially the older stuff looks very similar but is somewhat different. A welded frame might look the same but could use different tubing or have different finishing work done by the builder or something.
Old 08-10-19, 08:15 PM
HerrKaLeun

The physics are the same, air diffuses under the cup over time. There is no 100% airtight material, the molecules are just too small and the gaps between atoms too large.

Many people leave racks on the car for longer. And checking the rack before every drive is just not what people do. Heck, people are supposed to check engine oil, light and other things and never do. A bike rack should just be solidly attached without the need to re-tighten.

IMHO, a hitch rack with platforms is the very best solution. Everything else has some shortcomings.
Old 08-10-19, 08:38 PM
ttusomeone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The physics are the same, air diffuses under the cup over time. There is no 100% airtight material, the molecules are just too small and the gaps between atoms too large.

Many people leave racks on the car for longer. And checking the rack before every drive is just not what people do. Heck, people are supposed to check engine oil, light and other things and never do. A bike rack should just be solidly attached without the need to re-tighten.

IMHO, a hitch rack with platforms is the very best solution. Everything else has some shortcomings.
Except in general, that's not the way people use SeaSuckers. You buy one because you want a temporary roof rack. So you're putting it on when you head out, and then check it when you get where you're going, then take it off when you get back home. When I had mine, it was never on the car for more than a day. All racks have short comings, including a hitch rack. FWIW, I had a SeaSucker for when I needed to carry more bikes than would fit on a two-bike hitch rack.
Old 08-11-19, 06:35 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

They're not perfect either. Depending on the vehicle they can greatly impact rear visibility on say a sedan or smaller hatchback. I don't keep my Kuat rack on my hybrid, because even in empty-and-stowed configuration it obstructs my backup camera--which on that vehicle I really need as the rear visibility is poor. There's also the matter of blocking your rear license tags from LEO view, which I've known people to get pulled over for (but not ticketed, at least yet).
Old 08-11-19, 06:45 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Hi I want a quality product but I don't want to spend more than $50.

I.e. bikeforums in a nutshell.
Old 08-12-19, 07:08 PM
HerrKaLeun

As it turns out, the best way to transport a bike is to ride it.
Old 08-13-19, 10:47 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Taha
Hi guys,

I have a question, has anyone here use the Rockbros Roof-Top Suction Bike Bicycle Car Rack Carrier before?

I have a friend who is using Sea Sucker and I think that product is very expensive.

I found a cheaper alternative which is the Rockbros Roof-Top Suction. But I don't know if its good.

Any advise and feedback?

Thanks
Sea Sucker has been proven and tested. The RockBros knock-off product, still unknown. I'd say go for it and test it out for everyone.