Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever seen a Yankee Bicycle? Its interesting...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 01:48 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to look for a particular frame for a mountian bike for my wife at a local charity that fixes up bikes for people who need them especially kids and they had a funky bike for sale. It was a Yankee bike. They told me to ride it around and test it out. It shifted from the crank with 9 speeds and had a singlespeed rear wheel and setup. For something funky it could be a nifty commuter for the right person with a chainguard. I just wondered if anyone else had happened upon one of these. Here is a link with pics of one and even the owners manuel on the 2nd page. Also the brake on the rear is a cable that wraps around the rim and when squeezes stops the bike. Its a unique machine.

https://ustimes.com/Bicycle/
Old 10-15-10, 02:44 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterpile
I went to look for a particular frame for a mountian bike for my wife at a local charity that fixes up bikes for people who need them especially kids and they had a funky bike for sale. It was a Yankee bike. They told me to ride it around and test it out. It shifted from the crank with 9 speeds and had a singlespeed rear wheel and setup. For something funky it could be a nifty commuter for the right person with a chainguard. I just wondered if anyone else had happened upon one of these. Here is a link with pics of one and even the owners manuel on the 2nd page. Also the brake on the rear is a cable that wraps around the rim and when squeezes stops the bike. Its a unique machine.

https://ustimes.com/Bicycle/
It would be fun to own as a novelty but I wouldn't want to commute on it unless you can add a front brake. Even then you're going to put a lot of wear and tear on parts you won't be able to get replacements for.
Old 10-15-10, 04:13 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely a collector's item. Certainly not a daily commuter.
Old 10-15-10, 04:15 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Bikes: Oh, yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have worked on these, and they are, at best, a mechanic's minor nightmare. The shifting of the variable diameter "chaniring" is problematic, somewhat imprecise, and tends to wear easily, as it relies on plastic parts to provide indexing. The rear brake requires a unique rim that I have only seen on this bike, and the cable does wear the portion that it rubs against (the "braking surface" if you will). I have no idea how long it is likely to last, but it is guaranteed to eventually cut through the extra flange on the side of the rim, detaching that piece and leaving the rider with no brakes at all. There is some interesting and innovative thinking involved in this bike, and it would be fgreat as a prototype used to assist the design process. As a a finished product, not so much.
Old 10-15-10, 04:21 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting design. don't much care for the brake though. seems like it would drag when not being used and the rim would be quite heavy.
Old 10-15-10, 05:16 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I certainly don't like the idea of a bike with only a rear brake (as far as I can tell, that's all it has).
Old 10-15-10, 05:29 PM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rube Goldberg would be proud. Wow, it's amazing what some people manage to get into production. What a nightmare.
Old 10-15-10, 05:46 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its great to hear some thoughts on the bike especially from people who have experience with it. I was thinking it might be a commuter for someone that rides like a mile or 2 to work and just wants something different but yeah its probably a bad idea if it has plastic parts. YOu could easily add a rear brake if you wanted to actually ride it for any purpose. When I rode it they asked if I felt it shift. I was pushing the button, but didn't know what was supposed to happen exactly and after reading the above website I realize I wasn't crazy it wasn't shifting because I didn't know to pedal backwards. Any-who I wasn't about to pay $120 for it but it was interesting just to see it and then research about it. I wonder what something like that is worth to a collector. I didn't look it over really carefully, but it seems like it was in great shape. When I saw it (mostly the frame) I thought it looked interesting but I would have never thought it was as strange as it turns out it was.
Old 06-22-14, 12:56 PM
belo01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rim band brake on Yankee bike

Originally Posted by Kojak
I certainly don't like the idea of a bike with only a rear brake (as far as I can tell, that's all it has).
This particular bike does just FINE with one brake in the rear....it is SO unconventional that it WILL stop the rear wheel with easy effort....and my experience was that with the kevlar band riding the unique rim, there has been virtually NO wear on the coated cable OR the aluminum rim.

I don't know the longevity of the 9 speed helical gear with the plastic parts- by now, with the bike LONG since no longer being produced even after Nordic Trak purchased the rights to the product.....it is indeed a very special machine...fun to ride.
Old 06-22-14, 01:00 PM
belo01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, not really- no drag noticable and the rim is as light as any other...yah gotta see it to believe it!
Old 06-22-14, 01:13 PM
Saving Hawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by belo01
This particular bike does just FINE with one brake in the rear....it is SO unconventional that it WILL stop the rear wheel with easy effort....and my experience was that with the kevlar band riding the unique rim, there has been virtually NO wear on the coated cable OR the aluminum rim.

I don't know the longevity of the 9 speed helical gear with the plastic parts- by now, with the bike LONG since no longer being produced even after Nordic Trak purchased the rights to the product.....it is indeed a very special machine...fun to ride.
I'm sure the rear brake can stop the rear wheel. The question is if the rear wheel can quickly stop the bike in an emergency. Unless Yankee bikes also come with magic tires they can't.
Old 06-22-14, 07:19 PM
belo01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rim band brake WILL stop the tire & wheel.....stopping a bike with one or both skinny tires seems rhetorical....in practice it works, and the brake works dry OR soaking wet. We all know tires are limiters...
It works so well, I'd never wanna try this setup on both rims....if you miscalculate with the ease of application of this brake, one might go end over end....I'd want the rear to lock up first, and speed kills. If you've ridden one- you'll know what I mean. I've owned a Yankee bike since 1992.
Old 06-22-14, 07:36 PM
Agent4834

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw one of these at a Bike Co-Op I sometimes Volunteer at In Baltimore City... tagged "as is $30"
Old 06-22-14, 07:56 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
One on CL: Unique, collectable vintage Yankee Bicycle

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00J0J_kcW4gT65M5z_600x450.jpg (31.1 KB, 377 views)
Old 06-23-14, 08:39 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To add to the weirdness, I actually bought an adult tricycle (Nordic Track branded) with this shifter off of CL for my mother in law to ride. It works well, though it does seem like a too clever by half solution. I don't have a full picture of the tricycle handy, but here's what the chainring looks like

Old 06-23-14, 05:01 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by belo01
The rim band brake WILL stop the tire & wheel.....stopping a bike with one or both skinny tires seems rhetorical....
70% of your bike's ability to stop lies in the front brake. You will never stop as fast with the rear wheel only.

Have a little knowledge:
Braking and Turning Your Bicycle

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-24-14, 07:17 AM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I think I read about these in Pop Sci when I was in Jr. High.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 06-26-14, 07:24 AM
belo01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone interested in the Yankee Bike- this is not a motorbike, x-country bike, mountain bike, etc... if you are interested in debating the virtues of front brakes on a bike- I am not interested. I am asserting that this recreational bike- the Yankee Bicycle has an extremely efficient rear brake- with technology not used before or after this design- that I own one and it works VERY VERY well. If you have ridden one or owned one, I wouldn't have to explain this to you....you'd be impressed. The Yankee did not come with a front brake, and for a recreational bike- touring about, etc.... it's braking ability is absolutely incredible and unique. It does not require a front brake to stop well......it may not be for everyone's dream of the ideal bike- it just has a great rear unconventional braking system. I hope that is enough for any/all readers expressing interest in this particular bike.
Old 06-15-15, 07:40 PM
Yankeeman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding my Yankee for three years. Takes a little practice to perfect the shifting action of this wonderful machine, but once you do, you'll be in love with the science. And the braking as stated above, is really beyond belief. Love my Schwinn's with the various personalities in my collection, but the Yankee is my go to rider of choice for a great and comfortable riding experience.
Old 06-15-15, 09:11 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Rear-brake-only is for slow speeds/flat terrain, a lot of cruisers have rear coaster brake only, but riding downhill on them is very risky.
Old 05-02-17, 06:38 AM
YankeeFan93

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yankee wanted!

You have to try it to believe it! I worked at the Yankee factory for a couple years and rode my bike 10 mi. each way to work on the IL prairie path in good weather, moved back East, and still ride it occasionally 20+ years later. I would love to find another one or two in good shape, as my teens now think my bike is WAY more comfortable to ride than theirs!
Old 05-02-17, 08:30 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm sure it works, but there's this whole physics thing...
Old 05-02-17, 08:52 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Rube Goldberg would be proud. Wow, it's amazing what some people manage to get into production. What a nightmare.
That's how I feel about bikes with pinion gears at the front. I understand the reasoning and it's a cool device, but come on, it's a bike! KISS.
Old 05-02-17, 10:20 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
What an interesting bike
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-02-17, 10:33 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by YankeeFan93
You have to try it to believe it! I worked at the Yankee factory for a couple years and rode my bike 10 mi. each way to work on the IL prairie path in good weather, moved back East, and still ride it occasionally 20+ years later. I would love to find another one or two in good shape, as my teens now think my bike is WAY more comfortable to ride than theirs!
Where was their factory located? I've lived in the Chicago area for many years and don't remember hearing about them except for here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.