Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Abio's Verdion Belt Drive Bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 09:55 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
I've been riding an Abio bike with belt drive. I'm really liking it too. It's quite and clean and remarkably reliable.

Made some fun modifications recently that I'll be posting up too.
I have also been quite impressed with the Verdion belt drive bike. I have been riding it for the past few months about 3 miles/night, folding and unfolding each time .. Unlike S/C, who I am sure has made some nice mods, i have left it 'box stock' ..

It uses a Shimano 4spd hub with belt drive... belt tension is adjusted with an eccentric bottom bracket, although I have yet to adjust mine.. actually, I haven't had to do any tweaking or maintenance at all past initial set up.. wheels have remained true, spokes haven't loosened, hinges don't creak, the package just works.. The Verdion has a strong frame with large frame and stem hinges (very little flex here).. both hinges have a unique locking feature which must be defeated in order to open or close.. what is good about that is that the folded package won't 'unfold' no matter how you fling it around, same with the stem, it stays in place when folded down because of the interlocs. The Verdion has managed to remain under the radar while being a very capable bike.. whisper quiet when riding, and never a worry about chain oil getting on anything.. I really enjoy it !
Old 01-06-10, 06:35 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll put up a post about my mods soon. Got some fun stuff to report.

In the meantime, are you thinking of making some gearing changes? Is that in the cards?
Old 01-07-10, 09:42 AM
BruceMetras

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
I'll put up a post about my mods soon. Got some fun stuff to report.

In the meantime, are you thinking of making some gearing changes? Is that in the cards?
Looking forward to seeing some of that 'fun stuff' .. Work has really gotten in the way of my play over the holidays, but I have a couple of ideas in mind.. meanwhile, I just use the Verdion daily, 'as is' and continue to really enjoy it.
Old 01-07-10, 11:24 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the review, Bruce. Have you experienced any belt slippage while riding. Just wondering.

I hope more companies start using belt drives.
Old 01-07-10, 01:19 PM
BruceMetras

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalato
Thanks for the review, Bruce. Have you experienced any belt slippage while riding. Just wondering.

I hope more companies start using belt drives.
The cog belt system doesn't slip (as a V-Belt might), but under heavy load, you can get it to not cleanly engage a tooth, resulting in a noise (pop sound)... assuming the frame isn't flexing around, this can be addressed with belt tension, more aggressive tooth profiles, and belt guides.. the Verdion under normal riding conditions is very good in this respect .. I'll be looking into improvements .. I think the new Gates Carbon Drive series has pretty much addressed the issue and will probably be a standard soon for performance oriented belt drives.. I too would like to see a few more belt drive options.. as technology moves along, the belt systems look better and better for certain segments of cycling.