Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

15C Wheelset with 33MM tire

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 09-08-19, 09:19 AM
ericleecw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Greetings,

I have a fulcrum 3 wheelset and its only 15C and therefore will only fit up 32MM tire per recommendation chart. Anyone here use a 33 MM cross tire with a 15C wheelset? I will be running this with tubes.

thanks
Old 09-08-19, 11:40 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
It'll work. Only potential concern is "wallowing" if you use low pressures.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-08-19, 07:38 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
That set up is what we used to call “totally normal.” It’s fine. The ETRTO recommendation chart everyone refers to is literally 25 years old and was never any good.
Old 09-09-19, 05:07 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
That set up is what we used to call “totally normal.” It’s fine. The ETRTO recommendation chart everyone refers to is literally 25 years old and was never any good.
Good to know! I have an old front wheel with sun m13 rim (13mm of course) that I'll try to put into duty as a backup. Congrats on the podium, that one was unusually tough for me. When I'm on, that type of profile suits me, but not this weekend. Quad went more smoothly!
Old 09-10-19, 05:18 AM
ericleecw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The 15C will primarily be used for CX and running at most 40 PSI with tubes. Will that still be an issue?
Old 09-12-19, 02:42 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
40psi on a 33mm tire? That should work. I've ridden my tires like that, and they get a little squirmy on pavement as the tire is pinched a little.
ETRTO chart recommends 15c for up to 32mm, so you should be fine. The steering will be a little better with say a 22c, but run what ya got.
Old 09-12-19, 02:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Depending on how much you weigh, they may get squirmy on any off-camber stuff. But other than that, it should be fine.
Old 09-13-19, 05:47 AM
ericleecw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all. I weigh 160 lbs and right now run 40 psi using Schwalbe CX Pro which is 30mm. Coming from road it just "looks" too low.

The CX guys on my team are saying i should go 30-35 psi for better rolling resistance which seems counter intuitive since higher PSI has lower rolling resistance or tarmac at least.

So with 33mm tire can i go lower than 40 PSI?
Old 09-13-19, 12:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by ericleecw
Only one way to find out for sure.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-16-19, 11:01 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by ericleecw
Thanks all. I weigh 160 lbs and right now run 40 psi using Schwalbe CX Pro which is 30mm. Coming from road it just "looks" too low.

The CX guys on my team are saying i should go 30-35 psi for better rolling resistance which seems counter intuitive since higher PSI has lower rolling resistance or tarmac at least.

Every tire, rider and course is a bit different, so it's something you should experiment with, but generally speaking your teammates are probably correct in saying that 30-35psi will be faster than 40+, assuming you can run that low of a pressure without pinch flatting. Lower psi will smooth out the ride and roll faster over bumps, give you more traction in wet/mud, but it also comes at a greater chance of pinch flatting. This is the basic risk/reward factor in CX tire pressure.

Generally you want to run the lowest psi possible. Clinchers with inner-tubes pinch flat much easier than tubulars, and they also have stiffer sidewalls so the benefits of running them at ultra-low pressures more diminished and also come with higher risks. Keep going down this rabbit hole and you'll quickly learn why tubulars are so popular for CX.

I weigh around 165lbs and 35psi is about the minimum I feel comfortable running my 33mm clinchers, but I'll run as low as mid 20's on my 33mm tubulars, and the newer Donnely tubulars don't even have an inner-tube to pinch (it's a tubeless casing), so I would imagine they can be run extremely low and still not flat.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-17-19, 03:54 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Every tire, rider and course is a bit different, so it's something you should experiment with, but generally speaking your teammates are probably correct in saying that 30-35psi will be faster than 40+, assuming you can run that low of a pressure without pinch flatting. Lower psi will smooth out the ride and roll faster over bumps, give you more traction in wet/mud, but it also comes at a greater chance of pinch flatting. This is the basic risk/reward factor in CX tire pressure.

Generally you want to run the lowest psi possible. Clinchers with inner-tubes pinch flat much easier than tubulars, and they also have stiffer sidewalls so the benefits of running them at ultra-low pressures more diminished and also come with higher risks. Keep going down this rabbit hole and you'll quickly learn why tubulars are so popular for CX.

I weigh around 165lbs and 35psi is about the minimum I feel comfortable running my 33mm clinchers, but I'll run as low as mid 20's on my 33mm tubulars, and the newer Donnely tubulars don't even have an inner-tube to pinch (it's a tubeless casing), so I would imagine they can be run extremely low and still not flat.
Challenge accepted, bunny hopped a curb poorly at ~25psi and put 3 holes in my new PDX tubelss tubular. Was able to use a plug on the hole in the tread but the sidewall holes won't stay sealed. I think its done for...
Old 09-18-19, 10:41 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Challenge accepted, bunny hopped a curb poorly at ~25psi and put 3 holes in my new PDX tubelss tubular. Was able to use a plug on the hole in the tread but the sidewall holes won't stay sealed. I think its done for...
Oh wow. That sucks, and your warning is noted. I haven't run mine below 30psi yet, but was gonna mess around in a park this weekend and see how low I could go with them.

I'll watch out for curbs.
Old 09-18-19, 10:54 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Oh wow. That sucks, and your warning is noted. I haven't run mine below 30psi yet, but was gonna mess around in a park this weekend and see how low I could go with them.

I'll watch out for curbs.
I didn't think it was really an issue either with sealant but i guess sidewall cuts are always an issue. My fault for being careless and first time I've actually cut through the sidewall of a cyclocross tire tubeless or tubular
Old 10-14-19, 12:36 PM
tpower

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Any particular reason why you would just get a wider wheel? I'm guessing cost? Although, older rim brake wheelsets can go for like $125-200 around here. Pretty inexpensive, just want to look for the good hubs so you can rebuild them in future if needed. I picked up a beat up Major tom, White Industries set with tubular glued, used it a season, then re-built it and have it on backup bike now.

I run 28-32 psi with tubes on aforementioned set...but 19mm internal rim. Obviously depends on course. So with a 15mm internal you're kind of hot air ballooning the tire, which could lead to more pinch flats and squirmy feel.

My first cx wheelset was just stock generic, cheap and man it was squirmy. I didn't know it until I upgraded. Gives a lot more confidence in corners now and much more predictable.
Old 01-13-20, 03:25 PM
nkrulewitz
SteelSquirrel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Uh Oh!
Old 01-13-20, 03:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

I'm 170 and have gone down to 40psi on my ghetto tubeless set up. My kid is 130 and run his in the low 30s. I was afraid he would burp them on off-camber stuff, but he was fine.

And FWIW, Cody Kaiser advises going high pressure in muddy conditions to help the tire dig down to more solid ground. He says if you go low pressure in mud it will tend to float and skate over the mud. YMMV.