Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Selle SMP experiences

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Selle SMP experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 06:36 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Selle SMP experiences

I pretty much know nothing about these saddles...except that they are shaped funny.

Its actually for my girlfriend. She has tried a bunch of saddles...ladies specific Specialized ones...and pretty much every mens one. The issue for her is the "lady bits". She says it digs into the sensitive parts. I did try to lower the nose of the saddle...but then she tells me that she slides forward. The level position seems to work best for the sit bones...but not the private parts. She has gotten a pro fit...that was with a Specialized 155 Ruby. It was ok at the time of the fitting...but as time went on...she started hating it. From there she went to an Oura, Romin Evo, and now a Toupe. Her sit bones on the ass-o-meter says she should use a 155 saddle...so thats what she got.

Has anyone used or fitted someone with a SMP with similar issues?

Thx.
Old 03-05-15, 07:16 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
I've only ever fitted myself with one of these, and while, as a male, the dynamic differences are obvious, the net effect of discomfort caused by the nose of traditional saddles is the same.

The clear and striking element of the SMP design is that the cutout extends all the way forward, right into the dropped hook of the nose. It's quite a bit different than most cutout saddles which place the opening more in the center of the saddle, which for me is too far rearward to provide any relief. The SMP works great for me, relieving that pressure at the front of the saddle.

I do ride with a fair amount of saddle/bar drop, and perhaps because I have little flexibility in my back, I tip my pelvis forward quite a bit in order to help flatten my back. I think the pelvis angle and back flexibility issues, more than amount of saddle/bar drop, are the primary reasons that some find difficulty with traditional saddles, but that's just a slightly un-wild guess, really. I also liked to flatter myself and think it was a sign of the well-endowed, but your girlfriends case has shot that theory to sh*t.
Old 03-05-15, 07:36 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Pro fitting is based on averaged data from large numbers of riders, but sometimes riders depart sufficiently from the norm to require tweaking of the bike's adjustments even after a pro fit. In this case, maybe start by pushing the saddle forward on the post while maintaining the level position that she says works best.
Old 03-05-15, 07:37 PM
I <3 Robots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the replies!

Was it difficult to initially set up? I've been reading that you can't set it up level as a starting point like most saddles. Watching her ride...it doesn't look like she rotates her pelvis forward.

The saddles are pricey...but if it works out for her...it'll be worth every penny.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Pro fitting is based on averaged data from large numbers of riders, but sometimes riders depart sufficiently from the norm to require tweaking of the bike's adjustments even after a pro fit. In this case, maybe start by pushing the saddle forward on the post while maintaining the level position that she says works best.
I think I'll give it a shot. I just didn't want to move her too far from the position of the original fit. If I move the saddle any farther up...it'll be in a TT position.

Last edited by I <3 Robots; 03-05-15 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-05-15, 07:42 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
We sell the Dynamic (more than any of the other models) at our shop and the general rule of thumb for setup is to "level the bumps."

This video helps to explain it - Montaggio e regolazione della sella

Given the huge library of models they have and like you said, the cost, definitely make sure you get the right model/size for her.
Old 03-05-15, 07:55 PM
I <3 Robots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The narrator mentions something about the reach being shorter?

Of the Dynamics you sold...were some of them women? There are so many models...
Old 03-05-15, 08:15 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Have you seen Steve Hogg's page on SMP fitting? Lots of insights, and detailed info on the model range which may help selection.

ALL ABOUT SMP?S » Bike Fit » Pelvic » Steve Hogg's Bike Fitting Website

I particularly like how he uses "effective width" as an indicator, too, and not just the common max width measurement, which never struck me as particularly relevant to anything since I don't sit that far back. Ironically, I ride both a Dynamic and Selle Italia Flite Classic, which share the same 139mm max width; the Dynamic is definitely more comfy, but I can spend a few hours on the Flite without difficulty, too. Beyond 4hrs, though, and the scales start tipping heavily in favor of the Dynamic.
Old 03-05-15, 08:59 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
This outfit has (at least had) a saddle demo program- try & just pay shipping.

NONSTOP CICLISMO / "Cycling all'Italiana!" / Road Bike Gear & Apparel

I had some issues that resolved with SMP saddle. Still happy.
Old 03-05-15, 09:50 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a SMP Plus which I think might be their biggest saddle. I went through five saddles before I tried the SMP which has now been on my bike for six years. It works great for me. The problem I had was with numbness and pressure from the saddle. The large cut out is why this saddle works for me.
Old 03-05-15, 11:30 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
If you decide to demo an SMP saddle, make sure to give it 3-4 rides before giving up on it. The saddle places ALL of your weight on the sit bones, so the first time you ride it, it can be very uncomfortable after 2 hours. Once your body is accustomed to it, that's not a problem.

Specialized saddles are also very good. In general, you want a firm saddle, since the softer foam deforms and puts pressure on the sensitive bits. Also, what are her riding shorts? My wife got some mid-tier women's shorts, and immediately commented that they were much more comfortable that the cheap ones she had.
Old 03-06-15, 01:07 AM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Definitely demo all of the saddles before you settle on one. Some look wildly different but felt similar to me, while others looked very similar but felt wildly different.

Ultimately I bought a Drakon (?) but then replaced it with a Dynamic ... Or maybe it was the other way around. Whichever it is, I love it. Saddle definitely appears to point down but I never get the sensation of sliding forward.
Old 03-06-15, 08:03 AM
ColtJ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I <3 Robots
I pretty much know nothing about these saddles...except that they are shaped funny.

Its actually for my girlfriend. She has tried a bunch of saddles...ladies specific Specialized ones...and pretty much every mens one. The issue for her is the "lady bits". She says it digs into the sensitive parts. I did try to lower the nose of the saddle...but then she tells me that she slides forward. The level position seems to work best for the sit bones...but not the private parts. She has gotten a pro fit...that was with a Specialized 155 Ruby. It was ok at the time of the fitting...but as time went on...she started hating it. From there she went to an Oura, Romin Evo, and now a Toupe. Her sit bones on the ass-o-meter says she should use a 155 saddle...so thats what she got.

Has anyone used or fitted someone with a SMP with similar issues?

Thx.
im actually in the exact same boat with my wife. We tried the lady Fizik's and two Selle Italia's with biggest cutout S3 and L3, also tried stock saddle and a few others. We tried the ISM and it was ok but I didn't want to leave her on it cause it loaded pressure on hands.

She rode a Selle SMP Glider for the first time yesterday and so far so good but it has only been one short ride.

she felt pressure on the labia (spent some time reading ladies only forums) and the SMP seems to be working best over everything else we've tried. Albeit one short ride so far.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-15, 05:18 PM
timmbo

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.9ssl (brand new 12/30/15)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Drakon, it is a great saddle. I purchases it a year ago and after riding all season I can honestly say it was the best $250 spent. Key thing with the Selle SMP saddles is to make sure you get the correct width for your sit bones. Seems the Dynamic, Drakon, and the Lite 209 are the more popular models.
Old 03-08-15, 05:26 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Saddles either work for you and your butt or don't.

My SMP Composit from way back works great. Grabbed it on a wicked PerformanceBike sale sight unseen and ended up being a great buy.
Old 03-09-15, 04:37 PM
Chucka

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got one of these, SMP Forma. I have just 4 rides on it so far - awesome seat. Im close with my tweaking it, the seat is very sensitive to tilt. You can set it up for sitting toward the back or nose down and sit in the middle. On this seat you can roll your pelvis forward to flatten out your back. For me this helps with back pain..exactly what I needed to do. I tried every Fizik seat at the shop and a few Specialized seats (better) and glad I got the Forma.
Old 03-09-15, 08:54 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Reviewed: Fizik Aliante VSX, the accidental women's saddle - VeloNews.com

^^not SMP but one to consider based on what i've read/heard