Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do You Work / Maintain Your Own Bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do You Work / Maintain Your Own Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-15, 05:27 AM
la rosa 

Bikes: 12 lynskeys, 1 IF, 2 colnagos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I build & maintain my own bike except truing wheels.
Old 09-06-15, 08:35 AM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by la rosa
I build & maintain my own bikes except truing wheels.

same here
Old 09-06-15, 08:37 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
To my mind, wrenching on a bike is part of the riding experience. I like a bike that rides right and that means I need to stay on top of the mechanical issues.
+1
It's the whole Zen, body, mind and machine as one. I like sew-up tires because of the feel of the ride but also the hands on gluing and mounting of the tires. I like leather saddles. Again it's the tensioning, applying conditioners, and massaging the saddle. Building a wheel. It's getting the tension, keeping the wheel round, through feel not tension meters. Using old socks and a toe strap for my spare tube and tools. It's all part of the experience. And please there is no need for computers, power taps, HR monitors, garmins. Get to the soul of cycling and enjoy.
Old 09-06-15, 09:26 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eyenigma
It's fair to say the people on this forum are avid cyclists, probably at the sharper end of the spear when it comes to overall cycling population.
You must be new here.
Old 09-06-15, 09:38 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Don't want to pay for oxy cylinder rental so I don't do my own brazing, but I'll set it up and take it to my local engineering workshop if I need to do something. I have some argon so I can do alloy MIG welding on racks and stuff. Everything else I do myself. Helps that when I was a kid my friends and I had easy access to the local rubbish tip and a big brother who also raced to show me how to build wheels and suchlike. I don't think our bikes stayed the same for more than 2 weeks at a time.
You can buy the short, 3' tall Oxygen/Acetylene cylinders. No rentals, although they seem to always be going out of hydro dating on me.

I haven't had to do a lot of welding on my bike other than the one broken rack on the road halfway around the world incident. But that is coming... soon. Oh, and I suppose the hack-job on my cargo bike.
Old 09-06-15, 10:20 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Same. Can't justify the money for a truing stand, and wonder if I have the know-how to use one anyway.
Old 09-06-15, 10:36 AM
Eyenigma

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
You must be new here.
Sorry, I thought I implied as much. New to road cycling, yes.
Old 09-06-15, 10:41 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I do maintenance, assembly, wheel building, welding, and machining. Hopefully going to add carbon work this year, and I'm working on building my own wireless pedal power meter, but I probably won't succeed.
Old 09-06-15, 10:43 AM
Jiggle

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Same. Can't justify the money for a truing stand, and wonder if I have the know-how to use one anyway.
You can't flip your bike upside down and use the brake pads? I have an old set of wheels that are perfectly dished and true. Those were my "calibrators". It worked great until someone gave me a truing stand.
Old 09-06-15, 10:54 AM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I do everything else that doesn't require expensive and/or specialized tools ie, bearing presses, BB facing, frame alignment and wheelbuilding. I'll probably invest in or diy a bb press when it comes time to change mine next time. Wheel truing maybe someday would be cool to know, but living in an apt. I'm good taking my wheels to the shop when needed.
Old 09-06-15, 11:43 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
It's fair to say the people on this forum are avid cyclists, probably at the sharper end of the spear when it comes to overall cycling population. I'm curious – do you work on your own bikes or entrust the LBS to do it? And to what degree do you get hands on? Changing group sets? Doing your own tune up and maintenance? Building your bikes from scratch? Ethically and logistically I struggle with what the right thing to do is. I (somewhat) buy into the whole "support your LBS" thing, but when you're out of a rig for a few days it's no fun.
Sometimes I just drop off the bike for a tuneup, other times I do it all myself. I bought the Trek Care when I got my Domane so I'll just drop the bike off next week; it's about time for some replacement parts which will be covered by Trek Care.

I've built several bikes from scratch and fixed up several others for friends and coworkers that needed a cheap bike.

When I finished building up my '84 Pinarello, I had my LBS mechanic go over it just to make sure everything was okay. I don't have any wheelbuilding tools so he made sure the used wheels I'd bought were true and evenly tensioned. He also got the DT shifter cables a bit tighter than I was able to do.

My bike shop has no problem with me doing my own repairs; I support them in many other ways.
Old 09-06-15, 12:45 PM
Damien09

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 i do all my stuff but truing wheels or stuff where the tool cost a tob that i wont use enough to justified buying it. I did have them chase a bb last year if that counts.
Old 09-06-15, 04:25 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Trueing wheels = brake pads or something taped to the frame or forks. Dish stick = piece of 5/8" plywood with a chunk cut out of the middle to go over the hub and a couple of flats to rest on the rim, and a cheap vernier caliper to measure the offset. The tension meter I cheated and bought from the UK, even though it was Park Tool and made in the US , it was cheaper there.
Old 09-06-15, 07:41 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
I don't build or repair frames, but I do everything else including wheels. Haven't had a bike in a shop in decades. Having been an engineer for a big part on my working life, and a tinkerer since childhood, I enjoy the work and have become pretty proficient if I do say so myself.
Old 09-06-15, 08:13 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
+1
And please there is no need for computers, power taps, HR monitors, garmins. Get to the soul of cycling and enjoy.
Getting "to the soul of cycling" is possible, even with all the newfangled doohickeys. It's also possible to never catch a glimpse, even without.

Edit: And yes, I do all of my maintenance, other than wheelbuilding.
Old 09-06-15, 08:24 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
..... Ethically and logistically I struggle with what the right thing to do is. I (somewhat) buy into the whole "support your LBS" thing, but when you're out of a rig for a few days it's no fun.
A spare, back-up, trainer, or rain bike saves the day when a bike goes back to the shop for warranty or repair work.

A bicycle work/repair stand makes normal maintenance and repairs a lot more convenient. Get a bicycle tool kit and maybe a manual (along with YouTube videos) and you can learn to do "the basics". Add a classic old bike from Craigslist.... and you've got the beginnings of a great hobby.

I live where we have actual winter. So I like to have a nice winter project.
Old 09-06-15, 08:40 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I perform about 90% of the maintenance on my bikes. I don't bleed the hydraulic brakes on my MTBs, don't rebuild forks and don't true bladed wheels otherwise, I pretty much do it all. I've done several frame-up builds, lost count how many. Some of it is trial and error so you have to be willing to live with an occasional "OOPS" or "AW Crap" and a few cuss words. There's also learning something new each year. As an example, I just learned this year that Mavic freehubs require occasional maintenance/lubrication. For the most part it's fun and rewarding.
Old 09-06-15, 08:48 PM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I do my own maintenance, upgrades, bike builds and wheel builds. I can't imagine waiting for an LBS every time a bike needs a little TLC, especially since my nearest LBS is 45 miles away. I haven't done any frame repairs but I do have a background that includes oxy-acetylene welding, silver solder and brass brazing so that will likely be in my future as well.
Old 09-07-15, 10:43 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I do most of the work to save time and money - it's 10 miles to my usual shop, which is a long way in Boston. That said, I don't particularly enjoy doing it most of the time. I'm not totally incompetent, but I'm smart enough to acknowledge my shortcomings as a mechanic, and they are many. And I don't like the time it takes, which means there's a lot of maintenance I end up putting off. Which isn't good. When I can, or must, hand a task off to the shop, I'm usually happier about it. Most shop mechanics are a lot more skillful than I am. Obviously, there are exceptions, but generally they will do a better job and I get to spend my free time in the morning or evening sitting on the couch rather than cursing down in my basement.
Old 09-07-15, 10:56 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
It's fair to say the people on this forum are avid cyclists, probably at the sharper end of the spear when it comes to overall cycling population. I'm curious – do you work on your own bikes
Yes.

or entrust the LBS to do it?
That would be stupid. Apart from wheel building it takes less time to service a bicycle than to drive to an LBS, park, drive home, and probably repeat the process for pickup. LBSes can't be trusted to build wheels right so that's not an option.

And to what degree do you get hands on? Changing group sets? Doing your own tune up and maintenance? Building your bikes from scratch? Ethically and logistically I struggle with what the right thing to do is. I (somewhat) buy into the whole "support your LBS" thing, but when you're out of a rig for a few days it's no fun.
I don't build frames yet, although if Tim Sanner still taught frame building in Palo Alto I'd be tempted to learn. I can run milling machines (manual and CNC) although I've yet to use that for a bicycle. Some time I'll get around to picking up metal lathe use.

Wheel building, group swaps, none of it is a big deal.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 09-08-15 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 04:41 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Ethically and logistically I struggle with what the right thing to do is. I (somewhat) buy into the whole "support your LBS" thing, but when you're out of a rig for a few days it's no fun.
MY LBS's never stock anything much, and when they do it's so ludicrously priced I run screaming from the store... plus the blank looks for anything out of the ordinary...
Old 09-08-15, 05:25 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I do most of the work to save time and money - it's 10 miles to my usual shop, which is a long way in Boston. That said, I don't particularly enjoy doing it most of the time. I'm not totally incompetent, but I'm smart enough to acknowledge my shortcomings as a mechanic, and they are many. And I don't like the time it takes, which means there's a lot of maintenance I end up putting off. Which isn't good. When I can, or must, hand a task off to the shop, I'm usually happier about it. Most shop mechanics are a lot more skillful than I am. Obviously, there are exceptions, but generally they will do a better job and I get to spend my free time in the morning or evening sitting on the couch rather than cursing down in my basement.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…My first adult bike was a Schwinn Suburban, and as a college student I did a lot of work on it, including cleaning bearings. Time eventually became too much of a premium, so now my LBS does it all.

Besides time, I have never had good facilities to work easily… Having the LBS do it all, in my case is a really good deal. The shop is one block away, and they will fix many things at a convenient time for me. They are so expert that they can do these things quickly, better than me, and often spot problems that I did not see. Whenever I leave the shop, the bikes ride as if new again.

Because the bikes are a major transportation mode for me, keeping them in good repair is critical. We save a lot of money on transportation, so further using the LBS is even more cost-effective...Hats off to Back Bay Bikes.
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I do everything myself but I'm mechanically inclined and enjoy stuff like that. I know guys who probably have the IQ of a genius but couldn't put a round peg in a round hole and are too scared to even try. They would rather pay someone else to do it.They would call their insurance company to send someone out to put a spare wheel on when they have a flat tire on the side of the road and wait three hours instead of doing it in 10 minutes.
I think you protest too much and set up a “straw man” to show your toughness…HTFU usually refers to riding, not wrenching.
Old 09-08-15, 05:38 PM
Jiggle

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
I perform about 90% of the maintenance on my bikes. I don't bleed the hydraulic brakes on my MTBs, don't rebuild forks and don't true bladed wheels otherwise, I pretty much do it all. I've done several frame-up builds, lost count how many. Some of it is trial and error so you have to be willing to live with an occasional "OOPS" or "AW Crap" and a few cuss words. There's also learning something new each year. As an example, I just learned this year that Mavic freehubs require occasional maintenance/lubrication. For the most part it's fun and rewarding.
What's up with bladed wheels?
Old 09-08-15, 06:18 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Build and maintain my own bikes. The only thing I haven't ventured into is wheel building, mainly because I can get the same wheels I would build already built for less than parts plus proper tools that I don't own (like tension meter, dish tool etc).

Bikes are not complex and working on them is fun. I am confused about where ethics come into play?
Old 09-08-15, 07:53 PM
Rcrxjlb

Bikes: Unknown Kalin MTB, 2013 Denali, 1977 Raleigh from Malaysia, 1982 Univega Nuovo Sport

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I work on my bikes. I'm no mechanical expert, but somehow I keep my junky bikes rolling.
Either that, or take the bus...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.