Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Safe To Ride When There is Some Play in the Bottom Bracket

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 08:41 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

So my BB developed a little bit of play (barely a few mm) but I can definitely feel it when the right hand crank is at the 12 o'clock position.

It's definitely play in the BB not the pedals since when I grab the crank arms I can feel some outwards movement when the cranks are at the above position.

I was planning on doing a nice 60mile ride today or tomorrow. Is it safe to do so? I know the crank won't explode but I'm thinking does this type of thing mean it will shortly seize?

For what its worth I have a "Semi Cartridge Bearing ST" BB.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-15, 08:45 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
Hi,

So my BB developed a little bit of play (barely a few mm) but I can definitely feel it when the right hand crank is at the 12 o'clock position.

It's definitely play in the BB not the pedals since when I grab the crank arms I can feel some outwards movement when the cranks are at the above position.

I was planning on doing a nice 60mile ride today or tomorrow. Is it safe to do so? I know the crank won't explode but I'm thinking does this type of thing mean it will shortly seize?

For what its worth I have a "Semi Cartridge Bearing ST" BB.

Thanks.
Check the crank arm bolt tension. It's possible the crank arm has come loose from it's square taper fit.

It's about a 10 minute job and a $20 part to replace the BB. If it is truly shot, it's a simple, cheap fix.
Old 09-11-15, 09:22 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Does it just move laterally or does it rock? Try 69Chevy's advice first. While you're at it, you may as well remove the crank and check the BB, regrease it etc.
Old 09-11-15, 09:25 AM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
Check the crank arm bolt tension. It's possible the crank arm has come loose from it's square taper fit.

It's about a 10 minute job and a $20 part to replace the BB. If it is truly shot, it's a simple, cheap fix.
It doesn't have crank arm tension bolts.

I know its an easy job but I'd have to leave it at the shop over the weekend. My question is should I go for a 60 mile ride before I get it replaced?
Old 09-11-15, 09:34 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
No. Don't be foolish.
Old 09-11-15, 09:34 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I wouldn't. If it's already loose, it could just get more loose. Best case scenario, you start getting ghost shifts on the front because it's moving enough to push the chain off the ring. Slightly worse case: you drop the chain repeatedly. Worst case: Your arm comes completely off and you are stranded.

If it's just loose, any competent shop should be able to sort it out in less than 5 minutes. Seek out a shop today, do 60 miles tomorrow.
Old 09-11-15, 09:36 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Not tension bolts. The crank arms bolt onto the square tapered spindles. Check how tight these bolts are. I used the word tension to describe how tight these bolts are.
Old 09-11-15, 09:40 AM
bt
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
go for it
Old 09-11-15, 09:40 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

A picture would help best. Even if you needed a replacement BB, it's still maybe 15 minutes max if they have the part on hand. Call ahead if you know exactly what you need.
Old 09-11-15, 09:41 AM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
No. Don't be foolish.
Roger that. Better to spend your day trying to fix it than go on your ride, have your crank fall off, get caught in your rear wheel sending you head over heels whilst going 40mph downhill and then spending the next two weeks in the hospital.
Old 09-11-15, 09:54 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

It doesn't have crank arm tension bolts.

I know its an easy job but I'd have to leave it at the shop over the weekend. My question is should I go for a 60 mile ride before I get it replaced?
Finding a good picture was a little harder than I thought...

The ST BB essentially presses the crank arm onto a square spindle. If the pictured bolt is loose, it is possible the press fit has come loose.

If the bolt pictured is not tight, tighten it. If that fixes it, great. If not, I wouldn't ride it.

Old 09-11-15, 09:59 AM
TobinH

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma, Boulder All-Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming the crank-arm fixing bolt is tight, ride it. Replace at your leisure. The axle is stepped, nothing can fall apart until the bearing races literally separate. That would take a pretty extreme event, I've never seen it on a bicycle.
Old 09-11-15, 08:39 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TobinH
Assuming the crank-arm fixing bolt is tight, ride it. Replace at your leisure. The axle is stepped, nothing can fall apart until the bearing races literally separate. That would take a pretty extreme event, I've never seen it on a bicycle.
Great. Thanks TobinH. Great advice.

I'm now stuck 25 miles from home with my cranks seized pushing my bike back. Some homeless guy took my cycling shoes and old ladies are calling me a tosser ...

Only kidding. I took the advice upstream and tightened the bolts. It didn't stop the play in the cranks (its still there if I really push hard) but I can't feel anything like I did before when I ride. Maybe this is what it was always like? However, my other bikes don't have any play in the cranks no matter how hard I apply lateral pressure to the cranks.
Old 09-11-15, 09:55 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Possible the bottom bracket is loose? When you apply lateral pressure do you see any movement where bottom bracket meets the bottom bracket shell of frame? If so riding with this loose can toast your frame-just putting it out there. To fix you'd need to pull cranks, tighten BB (I'd regrease too), reinstall cranks.
Old 09-11-15, 11:09 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicHour
Possible the bottom bracket is loose? When you apply lateral pressure do you see any movement where bottom bracket meets the bottom bracket shell of frame? If so riding with this loose can toast your frame-just putting it out there. To fix you'd need to pull cranks, tighten BB (I'd regrease too), reinstall cranks.
Just so I understand this. The play I refer to is only present when I apply quite a bit of lateral pressure. If I can't feel it whilst riding is it an issue?

Also, is it dangerous to over tighten the cranks?

Thanks again.
Old 09-11-15, 11:22 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
On a square taper crank it is possible to overtighten. What could happen is that by over torquing crank arm and pushing it a little further onto the spindle than it should go, could widen over time and with subsequent reinstalls you might find that the crank arms won't stay tightened. It takes a pretty good amount of torque to do this though.

Might be good to get bike checked out by a shop just to make sure bottom bracket is properly torqued in Etc.
just wanted to point out that if BB is loose and causing the play you feel, riding on it could strip the threads potentially ruining your frame(presuming it's a threaded BB-with square taper cranks I'm pretty sure it is)

Just so I understand this. The play I refer to is only present when I apply quite a bit of lateral pressure. If I can't feel it whilst riding is it an issue?

Also, is it dangerous to over tighten the cranks?

Thanks again.
Old 09-14-15, 08:56 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Color me curious. I want to know what happened. Did you get it sorted? What was the issue?
Old 09-21-15, 12:45 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Color me curious. I want to know what happened. Did you get it sorted? What was the issue?
Happy to indulge your curiosity!

I tightened the cranked arms as suggested. This resulted in the vibrations I felt going away. There is still some lateral play in both cranks but it only happens occasionally. As other suggested I disengaged the chain and rotated the cranks and it felt quite smooth so I'm leaving it alone for the time being.
Old 09-21-15, 12:52 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
If not sealed, cup and race BB, one of the cups may hsve unscrewed slightly. Or if a sealed cartridge BB, there may be some wear inside the cartridge. I'd get it looked at.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-28-15, 07:21 AM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
If not sealed, cup and race BB, one of the cups may hsve unscrewed slightly. Or if a sealed cartridge BB, there may be some wear inside the cartridge. I'd get it looked at.
A slight click developed on the drive side which I could feel through my shoe only. So I pulled the bottom bracket and it was fine. The cups were very very easy to remove so I tightended them up and click is gone!
Old 09-28-15, 09:16 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Does it just move laterally or does it rock? Try 69Chevy's advice first. While you're at it, you may as well remove the crank and check the BB, regrease it etc.
while you are at it, just replace the old BB with the newer style cups and get a new crankset