Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

[Brompton] Difference between Ridea calipers?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 01:46 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello,

I read that the brake calipers + levers from Ridea offer much improved braking power compared to the stock Brompton brakes.

I have a couple of questions:
  1. What is the difference between the three models, "21F Dual-Pivot Caliper Brakes W/ mudguard", "Dual-Pivot Caliper Brakes W/ mudguard", and " 3D Dual-Pivot Ti Bolts Caliper Brakes"?
  2. As a way to save a bit of money since a caliper + lever already cost ~ €200… is there a retailer in Europe that sells just the front brake + front lever?
Thank you.
Old 07-21-19, 02:08 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Hello,

I read that the brake calipers + levers from Ridea offer much improved braking power compared to the stock Brompton brakes.

I have a couple of questions:
  1. What is the difference between the three models, "21F Dual-Pivot Caliper Brakes W/ mudguard", "Dual-Pivot Caliper Brakes W/ mudguard", and " 3D Dual-Pivot Ti Bolts Caliper Brakes"?
It seems that the 3D variant cannot be used along with mudguards, the "21F" version is a tad (10g) heavier due to the unbroken leverage and all save 15g if you opt for the ti-version.

Originally Posted by Winfried
  1. As a way to save a bit of money since a caliper + lever already cost ~ €200… is there a retailer in Europe that sells just the front brake + front lever?
I'd assume that in terms of money saving the easiest thing is to stay away. There's sometimes a lot of magic mystery around tuning parts for people to justify their choices and spending. Personally, I am happy with the Brompton stock brakes and do not feel the need for more break power. If I felt that need I'd spend my money on brakes that are actually different and provenly offer more brake power like Magura Hydraulic brakes, V-brakes or disc-brakes (with the latter needing modifications on frame and fork). I cannot imagine that the Rideas offer additional break-power that would be worth 200€ per piece. It seems basically to be a bit of bling, mainly adding to the optics and indiviualization of the bike and maybe a tiny bit in weight but less - if at all - in objectively better break power. Better break power seems btw. not on the list of what Ridea promises for these breaks - which makes me even more suspicious that forum posts you found may be buyers trying to justify their (totally legitimate) buy with some fake objective reasons...
Old 07-21-19, 08:16 AM
Winfried

Thanks for the infos.

Considering I'd probably have to buy the whole thing at a total cost of 250+150=€400… it's worth thinking about it.

OTOH, a 100mm custom fork + disk brake is even more expensive, and makes for a bigger fold.
Old 08-18-19, 03:13 AM
Winfried

I had the opportunity of riding a barely used Brompton from 2014, ie. from the same year as my own, and felt the brakes were smoother and stronger.

FWIW, I replaced the original cable + cable housing on mine with no-name equivalents, but noticed no difference.

Is it just an impression, or do brake calipers and/or levers wear out and lose a bit of power? Would some maintenance make a difference? Should I get new calipers + levers from Brompton?

Thank you.
Old 08-18-19, 04:10 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I to like the stock Brompton brakes. First step I would give a good cleaning to the brake surface of the rims with some alcohol and then lightly sand the brake pads where they come in contact with the rims. If you still don’t like the brakes second step I lightly sand the brake surface of the rims and replace the brake pads. Sometimes when you ride in the rain road oil and dirt will get on the brake surfaces and need to be to be clean off.
Old 08-18-19, 08:51 AM
Winfried

Thanks for the tips.

It's also that the levers don't feel as smooth as new ones. Would taking the calipers apart and greasing every point of contact make a difference?

BTW, do we know which company actually makes the Brompton's calipers?

Last edited by Winfried; 08-18-19 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 09:42 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
1. They DO NOT offer better braking power. They have exactly the same geometry as the stock brake, which means they have exactly the same mechanical advantage.

2. They should have better pads than stock ones (ANYTHING is better than stock pads) but you can just get pads separately. Get quality pads (Shimano or SwissStop).

3. If you want to shave some grams, get titanium bolt kit (only $30~40) is the best bang for buck.
Likes For Raxel: