Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding Solo Safety

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding Solo Safety

Old 05-21-20, 03:18 PM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Riding Solo Safety

I've been riding solo since covid and it's getting sketchier out there. People are angry and frustrated and I've had a few incidents recently where I've been the target of their anger. It's mostly macho guys and their big trucks (one actually had "redneck" on the window that I saw after he came too close to me and spun his wheels to spit sand at me) but today it was a sedan with christian symbol on the back (blared horn long before and after going by me despite my being on the right shoulder on a straight road without traffic). While I ride I think about what I could put on the back of my jerseys to make these rednecks think I'm almost one of them - I wear plain safety yellow, so there's room for a message. Ideas welcome! Here's what I've come up with so far:

"Make America Great Again"

"World's Greatest Mom"

"Jesus Loves You"

[the fish symbol]

"Mom, Nurse"

Do you think it might help? Any other ideas? I could stop riding but riding is saving my sanity!
Old 05-21-20, 03:55 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB

"Make America Great Again" What if they are not a Trump supporter

"World's Greatest Mom" What they're a Dad who's back on Child support

"Jesus Loves You" What if their a atheist

[the fish symbol]

"Mom, Nurse"

Do you think it might help? Any other ideas? I could stop riding but riding is saving my sanity!
Nothing will help.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-21-20, 03:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
American flag colors.
Old 05-21-20, 04:03 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
American flag colors.
That is no joke. When I ride the roads I am typically treated pretty well. I have worn this enough to be able to definitively say that it makes a positive difference. I attribute it to the Red, White and Blue humanizing the experience. I am seen as a person rather than an annoying cyclist.

Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-21-20, 04:06 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Get a metal pole that sicks out 3 feet from the frame to the left.
Old 05-21-20, 05:14 PM
Rider_1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB
I've been riding solo since covid and it's getting sketchier out there. People are angry and frustrated and I've had a few incidents recently where I've been the target of their anger. It's mostly macho guys and their big trucks (one actually had "redneck" on the window that I saw after he came too close to me and spun his wheels to spit sand at me) but today it was a sedan with christian symbol on the back (blared horn long before and after going by me despite my being on the right shoulder on a straight road without traffic). While I ride I think about what I could put on the back of my jerseys to make these rednecks think I'm almost one of them - I wear plain safety yellow, so there's room for a message. Ideas welcome! Here's what I've come up with so far:

"Make America Great Again"

"World's Greatest Mom"

"Jesus Loves You"

[the fish symbol]

"Mom, Nurse"

"Nurse" will definitely not help you with some of these losers.
Old 05-21-20, 06:30 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Open Carry

Stand My Ground

Stand Behind Our Troops

Just on my way to pick up my Humvee
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 05-21-20, 06:38 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
FYI
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel,
"
Looks like he's wearing a shirt, not a flag...
Old 05-21-20, 06:45 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
"Your mom"
or
"GFY"

Are NOT advisable.

Just wear the nation's colors.
Old 05-21-20, 06:51 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
I'd say not a lot. As the saying goes "Every dog's got a few fleas", and you're experiencing the annoying "fleas" in your area. It happens everywhere, but its not that often I experience it so I just ignore them and brush it off.
Old 05-21-20, 06:52 PM
csuperbike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Unfortunately alcohol stores were one of the stores deemed essential. People with a lot of time and now you have a bad combination and more drunk/high drivers on the roads. I have been in more near misses in the last two months than I have in my entire life.

That’s what I think.
Old 05-21-20, 07:02 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by csuperbike
Unfortunately alcohol stores were one of the stores deemed essential. People with a lot of time and now you have a bad combination and more drunk/high drivers on the roads. I have been in more near misses in the last two months than I have in my entire life.

That’s what I think.
kinda the opposite for me. So much so, that I've chanced it by riding in areas that were known to be a lot busier with higher speed limits.
Old 05-21-20, 07:06 PM
csuperbike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
kinda the opposite for me. So much so, that I've chanced it by riding in areas that were known to be a lot busier with higher speed limits.
i wonder if City riding may have been the way to go since most folks were at home? Country roads have been sketchy here.
Old 05-21-20, 07:09 PM
Troul 

i wonder if City riding may have been the way to go since most folks were at home? Country roads have been sketchy here.
definitely would make more logic.
Old 05-21-20, 07:16 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

Cycliq Fly 6 and/or Fly 12. Record them and report them. It's our in our self interest to make the roads safer for everyone.

Old 05-21-20, 07:19 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by hillyman

Cycliq Fly 6 and/or Fly 12. Record them and report them. It's our in our self interest to make the roads safer for everyone.
hdmi?
Old 05-21-20, 07:36 PM
BNB

The flag idea is perfect!

just ordered an iron-on decal from amazon ... I'll iron on separate fabric then pin on jersey. I'm riding like an old fart these days (am I allowed to say that?) with a trunk thing where I could mount a small flag on a pole but it would mostly be perpendicular to drivers. Me thinks you can't have too many flying flags, tho!

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
That is no joke. When I ride the roads I am typically treated pretty well. I have worn this enough to be able to definitively say that it makes a positive difference. I attribute it to the Red, White and Blue humanizing the experience. I am seen as a person rather than an annoying cyclist.

Last edited by BNB; 05-21-20 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 07:40 PM
BNB

I've considered this many times but when cops say stuff like "well, what do you expect riding a bicycle on the road?" I sorta don't think they will be bothered with video footage unless I'm actually hit. And, even then, the cyclist is 99% blamed. Years ago we had a guy pull a gun on us and the quote above is from the county sheriff that day.

Originally Posted by Troul
hdmi?
Old 05-21-20, 08:28 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I support
POLICE

The first two words should be smaller, and the last one large and bold across your back.
Old 05-21-20, 08:32 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts

That’s what I think.
Interesting. I‘ve found just the opposite.
Old 05-21-20, 08:39 PM
BNB

I like it! Will try the flag first and saw those flags with the blue stripe that looked pretty cool but they were all too big.

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I support
POLICE

The first two words should be smaller, and the last one large and bold across your back.
Old 05-21-20, 08:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,578 Posts
People are generally arseholes and there is no redemption. We have been seeing tons of nasty people these days at the shop, nobody seems to understand their is a global crisis going on and a little respect and decency is what we need right now. They are pissed off at anyone and will take it out on someone as soon as they are out. It is rather a sad affair.

Ride safe and know this isn't a time for silly slogans and name calling. Even if trashy generally light skinned middle class southern people have taken the term. Rednecks originally referred to poor farmers and then was a sign of solidarity so miners could identify themselves (by the red bandanna around their necks) from the hired goons that were trying to murder them for standing up for their rights and their well being.
Old 05-21-20, 08:41 PM
BNB

Hubby and I got a great laugh out of Humvee idea! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Open Carry

Stand My Ground

Stand Behind Our Troops

Just on my way to pick up my Humvee
Old 05-21-20, 08:51 PM
BNB

Interesting history. So much time to think riding solo and I did wonder where the term "redneck" came from.

So, hopefully the flag idea is well accepted by the right and OK with the left too. No harm or silliness with that.

Not that it matters, but I sorta want to defend my beloved state of New Hampshire and say that every one of these incidents happened in California. Southern California. In fairness, CA has way, way more traffic and way, way more cyclists. Wish I could get to NH right now ... I would feel so much safer.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
People are generally arseholes and there is no redemption. We have been seeing tons of nasty people these days at the shop, nobody seems to understand their is a global crisis going on and a little respect and decency is what we need right now. They are pissed off at anyone and will take it out on someone as soon as they are out. It is rather a sad affair.

Ride safe and know this isn't a time for silly slogans and name calling. Even if trashy generally light skinned middle class southern people have taken the term. Rednecks originally referred to poor farmers and then was a sign of solidarity so miners could identify themselves (by the red bandanna around their necks) from the hired goons that were trying to murder them for standing up for their rights and their well being.
Old 05-21-20, 08:54 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I think flag is probably not going to hurt.

Note that when people yell, honk, blow smoke, and spin tires at you, that means they saw you, which is a good thing. They are not trying to kill you, so they probably won't kill you, which is also good. Even the intimidation-passers are actually trying quite hard to *nearly* hit you, which means they are more or less trying to not hit you, which is a good thing.

So that's all good.

People texting, posting on FB or BF, watching videos, or chatting up with their friends and family will not honk, yell, blow smoke, or spin tires at you. They might not see you, which is bad, and they might kill you, which is bad.

On narrow twisty hilly roads, drivers actually need to spend most of their time looking out the windshield, which is very good for you. As opposed to straight flat wide roads, where they can and do spend a considerable amount of time not looking out their windshields.

In conclusion, don't fear unsocial angry people, and don't fear social people on twisty hilly roads. Fear (and avoid) social people on flat, straight, wide roads. That's where you're gonna die.
Likes For downtube42:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.