Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Idler Bracket Noise?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Idler Bracket Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 01:33 PM
FREEBIRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Idler Bracket Noise?

I have a phantom and the chain rubs that front idler wheel bracket. There is no adjustment , and not much of a window the chain operates in. Any cure for that annoying sound?

Thanks.
Old 06-08-20, 08:25 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
There should be a nut that holds the entire assembly in place. Loosen that nut and try to move the metal part that keeps the chain from jumping off the idler wheel until it no longer contacts the chain when you turn the cranks. Re tighten the nut and you should be good to go.
Old 06-08-20, 02:11 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Sometimes a piece of just the loop portion of some stick-on hook-and-loop (velcro) tape can be applied at the rubbing spot, if all else fails. The fuzzy loops can dampen noise pretty well.
Old 06-08-20, 02:22 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
You mean the chain keeper?

Just loosen the bolt/nut and reposition it. Or are you saying the power side of the chain is hitting it?
Old 06-08-20, 02:46 PM
FREEBIRD1

You can only move the bracket fore and aft, no up/down adjustment on this one, it's an ever present tic,tic,tic, when you are pedaling. I've moved it around a bit but can never get rid of that noise.
Old 06-08-20, 03:23 PM
Steamer

Originally Posted by FREEBIRD1
You can only move the bracket fore and aft, no up/down adjustment on this one, it's an ever present tic,tic,tic, when you are pedaling. I've moved it around a bit but can never get rid of that noise.
What is contacting what?

What #1 : Power side chain (top) or return side chain (bottom)?

What #2 : Idler mount that is welded onto the frame (blue thing), or the chain keeper (silver thing)?

What did Lightning say when you talked to them?
Old 06-08-20, 03:41 PM
FREEBIRD1

It's hitting the top side of the silver sheet metal part (inside or power side). I loosened it and could move it up down by about 1/16", not enough to clear the chain and cure noise.
Old 06-09-20, 05:48 AM
Steamer

Originally Posted by FREEBIRD1
It's hitting the top side of the silver sheet metal part (inside or power side). I loosened it and could move it up down by about 1/16", not enough to clear the chain and cure noise.
Interpreting again, I think you are saying the return side chain is hitting the chain keeper. If it is hitting the top of the keeper, then the keeper is too short and probably needs to be replaced. If it is hitting the sides of the keeper, then trying adding a washer or two between the idler and the keeper to give it more lateral clearance for the chain.

I would be interested to know what Lightning says /said.
Old 06-09-20, 07:37 AM
Steamer

Originally Posted by Steamer
Interpreting again, I think you are saying the return side chain is hitting the chain keeper. If it is hitting the top of the keeper, then the keeper is too short and probably needs to be replaced. If it is hitting the sides of the keeper, then trying adding a washer or two between the idler and the keeper to give it more lateral clearance for the chain.

I would be interested to know what Lightning says /said.
Replying to my own post here....

Reading the OP's last post again, is it the power side chain that is hitting the top, outside of the keeper? Can the holes in the keeper be elongated so it can be dropped down a little bit?

Does this only happen when in the smaller chainrings?

Maybe a smaller diameter idler would help. Can't go too small or the return side chain might hit the fork crown.

The bike in the pic looks new. If so, I'd be contacting Lightning and having them provide the fix.
Old 06-09-20, 02:31 PM
FREEBIRD1

Thanks for the tips, the chain also rides way to the right on the wheel (as in photo) , my other Rans bike with same type of set-up rides pretty much close to the center, does not matter which front cog it is on, the chain is always off-set to the right of the wheel? It works OK , just that annoying noise.
Old 06-09-20, 05:38 PM
FREEBIRD1

Sounds like this one, minus the teddy bears
Old 06-09-20, 06:00 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Hmm... Have you tried putting a spacer on the frame side of the idler, to move the idler out a bit? I have a collection of old chainring spacers that I use to adjust the chainline on my bikes.
Old 06-09-20, 06:20 PM
FREEBIRD1

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Hmm... Have you tried putting a spacer on the frame side of the idler, to move the idler out a bit? I have a collection of old chainring spacers that I use to adjust the chainline on my bikes.
It's kinda annoying but not that big of a deal. it's a new bike so I want to use it box stock for a while before I start re-engineering things on it. I suspect they all make that noise, it's a simple design and only assembles one way. I only use this thing for 3-5 mile rides in the AM on the bike paths, so I think it should function for a while. Maybe when the chain wears a groove in that polymer wheel it will quiet down.
Old 06-10-20, 10:26 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
One thing to check, the polymer wheel should be spinning freely. When I got my recumbent (not a lightning), the manufacturer had bolted the idler wheel so tightly that the chain just rubbed on it, when it should be spinning. I have since replaced both idlers with Terracycle idlers, and they are much quieter and much smoother riding than the old plastic ones that the bike came with.
Old 06-10-20, 02:19 PM
FREEBIRD1

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
One thing to check, the polymer wheel should be spinning freely. When I got my recumbent (not a lightning), the manufacturer had bolted the idler wheel so tightly that the chain just rubbed on it, when it should be spinning. I have since replaced both idlers with Terracycle idlers, and they are much quieter and much smoother riding than the old plastic ones that the bike came with.

Thanks. I'll look at that, maybe put a little white dot on it to see if it spins.
Old 06-11-20, 06:41 PM
BlazingPedals

I would definitely try to space the idler out from the frame at least 5mm or so, so the chain doesn't ride against the side of the idler. That's just a setup adjustment. If your tire rubbed against the chain stay, you'd fix it, right??? If the power side of the chain is hitting the chain keeper, you can use a short (6-8") length of chain tube. Attach it so it floats up and down on the bracket for the return idler. Maybe I should ask, what size chainrings are you running?
Old 06-12-20, 04:35 AM
FREEBIRD1

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I would definitely try to space the idler out from the frame at least 5mm or so, so the chain doesn't ride against the side of the idler. That's just a setup adjustment. If your tire rubbed against the chain stay, you'd fix it, right??? If the power side of the chain is hitting the chain keeper, you can use a short (6-8") length of chain tube. Attach it so it floats up and down on the bracket for the return idler. Maybe I should ask, what size chainrings are you running?

Thanks, chainrings are whatever comes stock with the bike, I've never used chain tube, and am not familiar with the installation of it. I'll try spacing that idler, I'll need to get another hex bolt, they did not leave much room on the original. Thanks for the tips, it's making the 3 mile rides I use it for, and not stranding me, so if nothing falls off or breaks I'm good with it. I had to go back to work and am much lazier afterwards, for longer rides now days, I go for the e-bike.