Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike travel in France -- summer 2020

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-28-20, 03:29 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts

I'll possibly travel to France this summer (should be accessible to Canadians starting July 1st. I assume that air travel will resume shortly).

Considering the possibility of cross-country, semi-utilitarian trip between Metz and Sète (roughly 900km). Familiar with the terrain but wondering if it would be reasonable on a bike this summer -- not at all clear what is the situation regarding accommodations (camping, B&B and such, restaurants/cafes/grocery stores).

1. Anyone would know how we can get good information? or
2. Anyone familiar with what is the situation in France?
Old 06-28-20, 03:50 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
We biked through Séte last summer and met a few cyclists at the campground who have just completed similar route to what you are attempting.

all I can contribute is that the campgrounds were great and somewhat pricy but not as pricy as a KOA in Acadia National park 😬 so have a blast. I wish I did that trip again. The grocery stores were great to shop along the way when we biked from Barcelona to Nice

Originally Posted by gauvins
I'll possibly travel to France this summer (should be accessible to Canadians starting July 1st. I assume that air travel will resume shortly).

Considering the possibility of cross-country, semi-utilitarian trip between Metz and Sète (roughly 900km). Familiar with the terrain but wondering if it would be reasonable on a bike this summer -- not at all clear what is the situation regarding accommodations (camping, B&B and such, restaurants/cafes/grocery stores).

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 06-28-20 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 04:25 PM
gauvins

Barcelona -- Nice: quite a few hills on the way

Yes, France is a great country to visit, usually. The situation has been quite different during the past few months, however. French people have had to carry a document justifying why they were out of their home, recreational cycling was forbidden, etc. Fortunately, strict lockdown is now a thing of the past but the situation remains unclear, even for the French themselves. From what I gather, camping should be relatively easy. The advice is to call in advance, quickly followed by the statement that wild camping in France is legal. Finding food in grocery stores should be easy as well. Eating in restaurants, not obvious.

One issue, rarely addressed (anywhere btw) is restrooms. This "service" was usually offered in exchange for the price of a coffee. Today, my understanding is that several restaurants sell takeaway food only i.e. w/o access to the restrooms. Touring could become a lesson in self control
Old 06-28-20, 05:07 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

There was Aldi somewhere in Agde (I think) . This grocery chain was the only one without toilets. We never went to another Aldi afterwards.
Old 06-28-20, 05:10 PM
PedalingWalrus

Our camp spot in Séte

Old 06-28-20, 05:44 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins

There's a French-language forum with a bike touring section and another section just for travel in France, where you could ask and probably get precise information:

https://voyageforum.com/
Old 06-28-20, 07:35 PM
gauvins

Thanks. Will post and update here is something interesting turns up
Old 06-28-20, 10:27 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Gauvins, just saw your enquiry. I have good friends who live in Normandy and hopefully in the next few days I'll give them a call, and I'll ask about the general situation with camp grounds etc
Old 06-29-20, 12:38 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 150 Posts
Haven't been in France since corona day one but this is what I gather from the press: everything is open, including restaurants, hotels, camp sites and even cinemas, under social distancing restrictions. French social distancing is... 1m (unlike 1,5 in most European countries). You have to wear a mouth mask in public transport, museums etc but not in shops. Concrete measures may vary a little from region to region. All in all not much that can hold you back from having a great bicycle trip.
Old 06-29-20, 05:38 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Jealous here!!
We had to put our 7 week France tour on hold. Would love to go but no air travel!
So we are heading to Montana and Wyoming!