Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

North County Trail rebuilding - closures?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

North County Trail rebuilding - closures?

Old 07-14-20, 08:51 AM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
So they're closing the last gap! Good
Old 07-19-20, 08:24 AM
LarryS

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
FINALLY: The trial is open from the R118 parking area to Birdsall Drive so no need for the on-road detour. I was riding south on the NCT and was very pleasantly surprised when there was no gate at Birdsall. When I rode the trail last Sunday that section was still closed.

BUT:
This was posted on the Facebook page of the NCT:

July 16, 2020: The Trailway crossing at Route 118 in Yorktown will experience periodic closures between Monday, July 27 and the first week in August. This is for a milling and paving project by the New York State Department of Transportation.

The following is a link to check any status changes.

https://parks.westchestergov.com/act...ing-and-biking
Likes For LarryS:
Old 07-19-20, 01:43 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Well the 95 degree temps stopped me from even thinking about doing it today. Maybe next time I go up, which should be pretty soon.
Old 07-20-20, 09:06 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Well the 95 degree temps stopped me from even thinking about doing it today. Maybe next time I go up, which should be pretty soon.
Understandable! That said the first time I round tripped it, it was a worrisomely warm dawn but got much better once I'd finished the climb from VCP to Bryn Mawr and was north of that ridge. Diverted to Bronxville on the return that night (rather than do the mud in the dark) and got off the train in NYC into an absolute sauna and the realization that everyone else had been soaking in that all day, while it wasn't half as bad out on the trailway.
Old 07-22-20, 02:49 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
This came up prior that you could start at the south end of Van Cartland and ride bike path to Kingston, with some on street in Brewster and New Paltz. I think over 100 miles or so.
Ever seen the "path" from New Paltz to Kingston? have an allroad/gravel/mtn bike
Old 07-22-20, 02:57 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclebycle13
Ever seen the "path" from New Paltz to Kingston? have an allroad/gravel/mtn bike
Trails like this are one of the reasons I purchased a gravel bike.
Old 07-22-20, 03:00 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Apparently the stretch from Millerton north is all but finished, and there is a section from Copake Falls north too that you can ride. It is from the end of that to the short section to Hilsdale that is completely missing. I don’t know of the status from Hilsdale to Chatham.

I wonder if they will build a bridge over Rt 22 or at least put a light in. I know that’s a fast stretch of road for driving as I do it myself.
1. Millerton to Underhill Rd is not open. Most of it is paved, but they're are still some sections close to Millerton that are not and they're still working on some (trail) bridges there.

2. There's another section further north that runs from around Black Grocery rd to Hillsdale. It's on the west side of 22 and completely cut off from the rest of the trail. The area around it is hilly. If you start in Hillsdale and run to the end of that section (Blk Grocery) you're in for a lovely climb out of there.

3. There's nothing else north of that (at this point).
Old 07-22-20, 06:40 PM
zacster

1. Millerton to Underhill Rd is not open. Most of it is paved, but they're are still some sections close to Millerton that are not and they're still working on some (trail) bridges there.

2. There's another section further north that runs from around Black Grocery rd to Hillsdale. It's on the west side of 22 and completely cut off from the rest of the trail. The area around it is hilly. If you start in Hillsdale and run to the end of that section (Blk Grocery) you're in for a lovely climb out of there.

3. There's nothing else north of that (at this point).
I did the ride from Hilsdale all the way to Millerton, and yes there is a climb at the end of that first section but it wasn't so bad. I ended up crossing 22 and getting on the trail again in Copake Falls, then the back way into Millerton. I actually think that road to Millerton is fine but it will be nice to be able to ride from Wassaic all the way to Hilsdale in the near future on the trail. I'm not holding my breath for it to be finished to Chatham.
Old 07-22-20, 07:11 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I did the ride from Hilsdale all the way to Millerton, and yes there is a climb at the end of that first section but it wasn't so bad. I ended up crossing 22 and getting on the trail again in Copake Falls, then the back way into Millerton. I actually think that road to Millerton is fine but it will be nice to be able to ride from Wassaic all the way to Hilsdale in the near future on the trail. I'm not holding my breath for it to be finished to Chatham.
Having ridden Wassaic to Copake a few times, I can say the road section from Millerton to Boston Corners is likely my favorite section. It’s just a series of beautiful roads, scenic views to the Catskills, etc.... The completed trail will be in the valley and near Rt22, not sure I’d bother.
Old 07-23-20, 12:53 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

last time I checked there were 2 L's in Hillsdale
Old 07-23-20, 07:40 PM
zacster

last time I checked there were 2 L's in Hillsdale
I guess. I'm pretty sure I've seen it with one though.
Old 07-24-20, 04:29 AM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

I guess. I'm pretty sure I've seen it with one though.
with regards to bruklyn
Old 07-24-20, 08:14 AM
zacster

with regards to bruklyn
Its Breuckelen
Old 07-25-20, 07:03 AM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Its Breuckelen
Maybe I've seen it my way.
Old 10-12-20, 07:23 AM
69tr6r

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I'm planning on doing this ride on Saturday starting in Brewster. Some friends did it last October and said it was a great ride, so we're doing it again this weekend. Any detours/closures to know about?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-20, 10:25 PM
UniChris

Just when you thought VCP paving made it safe to ride on the Old Put Again... It seem the SCT to NCT junction is closed!

https://twitter.com/BikeTarrytown/st...MApnSvPB-ZwVjE
Old 11-26-20, 06:54 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Just when you thought VCP paving made it safe to ride on the Old Put Again... It seem the SCT to NCT junction is closed!

Is that where the overpass construction is happening?
Old 11-26-20, 09:32 AM
LarryS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
inconvenience
There is a "serious" gate just north of Coca Cola. That gate was not there on Tuesday, but was there yesterday (11/25). I didn't bother, but you could get around that gate just as easily as in VCP. The portion of the SCT from Eastview to R119 isn't that terrible, especially compared to the section from R119 to Barney Street. Due to its condition I haven't been south of R119 for about a month. Hopefully they start repairing that section soon which would definitely be worth the inconvenience.
Old 11-27-20, 07:30 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by dendawg
Is that where the overpass construction is happening?
IIRC the only road interaction is at the northern end just before the Eastview lot. I suppose they could be rebuilding the old railroad bridge across the highway there but I'm not sure what else would cause it.

Trail maintenance is warranted, but Ardsley-Elmsford should be first.

Anyway let's hope they get it done in the winter off season; it's no longer my trail and I haven't even been there since last winter's season, but it's a treasure of the region I hope to return to someday!
Old 11-28-20, 08:11 AM
dendawg

IIRC the only road interaction is at the northern end just before the Eastview lot. I suppose they could be rebuilding the old railroad bridge across the highway there but I'm not sure what else would cause it.

Anyway let's hope they get it done in the winter off season; it's no longer my trail and I haven't even been there since last winter's season, but it's a treasure of the region I hope to return to someday!
A couple of weeks ago I got a late afternoon start in VCP and went as far as the Macy Park before turning back. The only construction we encountered was where a new overpass was being constructed over the Saw Mill parkway I think at Ravensdale. Never got as far as Eastview.
Old 12-12-20, 09:10 AM
LarryS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My butt, my bike and whats left of my common sense totally agree with that, but unfortunately that not whats happening YET!
There's a gate just south of the Eastview Parking lot that said closed until further notice for paving. The gate was still there as of Fri. Dec. 11th.

Edit: Sun. Dec. 13th: The trail was opened this morning. They paved (or repaired) from Eastview to Coca Cola. They previously smoothed out the curbs at the Coca Cola - Fedex road crossing. The short ride from Eastview to Coca Cola is greatly improved. Hopefully they start working on the section south of R119 next without spending time on low priority sections. The section from R119 to VE Macy Park is still a masochist's delight. I would have gone further south, but I an not a {big} masochist.
I am not saying that there won't be any more closures, but that portion of the trail seems pretty good.

They are putting in new millage markers (sponsored by HSS (Hosp. Special Surgery) that are giving the millage to/from VCP. The sign just north of the Eastview parking lot say's South County Trail, so apparently they are maintaining the SCT and NCT names despite all millage amounts coming from VCP.

Last edited by LarryS; 12-13-20 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-12-20, 05:50 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryS
they are maintaining the SCT and NCT names
There really is a distinction both as to ownership and maintenance responsibilities. I used to know it but mercifully it's one of those tidbits that's been purged from my memory. For mere mortals, it's a distinction that doesn't make a difference.
Old 12-13-20, 02:52 AM
dendawg

This from Westchester Parks website

South County TrailwayA paved, multi-use trail 14.1 miles in length spanning central to southern Westchester.

Note: The section from Eastview Drive in Greenburgh to Warehouse Lane in Elmsford is under construction and will be closed weekdays until Monday, Dec. 7, 2020. It will be open and safe for use on weekends.
Old 12-13-20, 08:18 AM
LarryS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by arbee
There really is a distinction both as to ownership and maintenance responsibilities. I used to know it but mercifully it's one of those tidbits that's been purged from my memory. For mere mortals, it's a distinction that doesn't make a difference.
You're right about the distinction, which explains why the NCT repair job ended at Eastview and not Warehouse Lane. The current work being done now is part of the SCT budget. Since the trail is in effect one trail, it does make sense to have consistent millage markers from VCP to Baldwin Place.
Old 12-13-20, 10:19 AM
zacster

I just hope it is fully open by Memorial Day weekend, when I frequently ride the trail from Brewster to Brooklyn. The other ride I may do on it would be the GWB/TZ bridge loop, which starts just north of Elmsford somewhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.