Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Please help me with Road/Gravel wheelsets...

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 07:40 AM
grannygears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Hello there, I have just pulled the trigger on a 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced 0 as my new "quiver killer" road and gravel bike. This bike comes from the factory with Giant CXR-2 carbon disc wheelsets and Maxxis Velocita 700x40c tires. This wheelset and tire combo seems quite nice and the tire selection seems pretty slick, I am thinking about using this set up as my road or all-road very hardpack set. I noticed the rims say 42mm, im assuming that is the thickness? How narrow of tires can I fit on those rims?

I wanted to buy a completely separate set of aluminum rims and tires for riding loose gravel and rough dirt roads. Can you guys recommend a good setup for this type of riding that isn't going to blow the bank? I am thinking tubeless also for this type of riding is a must.

This is going to be my "quiver killer" bike like I said. I do hop on it and go for 40km fitness road rides a few times a week. I also plan on going for dedicated dirt road and loose gravel rides where I will be on all trails and loose gravel where those Maxxis Velocitas will not be great. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-18-20, 07:47 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
I'm a big fan of Hunt wheels. They have a great warranty and a wheel for every budget. I have two sets of carbons from them, and the 4 season disc in alloy that are bulletproof, plus a dynamo front wheel. https://us.huntbikewheels.com/
Old 08-18-20, 09:02 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
For a bomb proof set of alloy wheels that don't break the bank, look into the Hope 20Five's. I got a set from Merlin cycles for around 400 bucks. Really good quality hubs made in England, double butted Sapim spokes with brass nipples and can be set up tubeless super easy.
The only thing to be advised about is the "Pro-4" version is their MTB hub and it is loud. You can get their "RS4" version as well that was designed for the road and its supposedly much quieter but not as burley. I have the Pro-4 versions and I have beat the snot out of them using them as a dedicated gravel set and they are still perfect after over a year of use.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/h...0c-126226.html

Old 08-18-20, 09:09 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
  • Ultralight 42mm deep full-composite disc brake only rims
  • Tubeless compatible using supplied rim strips and valves
  • 17mm internal rim width for optimal tire performance
  • Dynamic Balance Lacing technology for enhanced drive efficiency and braking control
  • DT Aerolite/DT Aerocomp straight-pull bladed stainless spokes- 21H Front & 24H Rear
  • Alloy locking nipples
  • Giant alloy hub shell, Centerlock Disc rotor mount and Star Ratchet driver system
  • Includes end caps for the following configurations:
  • Front: 100x12mm T/A & 100x5mm QR
  • Rear: 142x12mm T/A & 130x5mm QR
  • 1475g per pair
I googled those Giant wheels and looks like 42 is rim height, with 17mm internal width.
You could go down to 25mm tires on those rims
Old 08-18-20, 10:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by grannygears
Hello there, I have just pulled the trigger on a 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced 0 as my new "quiver killer" road and gravel bike. This bike comes from the factory with Giant CXR-2 carbon disc wheelsets and Maxxis Velocita 700x40c tires. This wheelset and tire combo seems quite nice and the tire selection seems pretty slick, I am thinking about using this set up as my road or all-road very hardpack set. I noticed the rims say 42mm, im assuming that is the thickness? How narrow of tires can I fit on those rims?

I wanted to buy a completely separate set of aluminum rims and tires for riding loose gravel and rough dirt roads. Can you guys recommend a good setup for this type of riding that isn't going to blow the bank? I am thinking tubeless also for this type of riding is a must.

This is going to be my "quiver killer" bike like I said. I do hop on it and go for 40km fitness road rides a few times a week. I also plan on going for dedicated dirt road and loose gravel rides where I will be on all trails and loose gravel where those Maxxis Velocitas will not be great. Thanks in advance!!!

I would consider the HOPE wheels that are mentioned already. Quality boutique company. They arent the lightest wheels, but the details show the build is focused on strength over weight.
Or go to prowheelbuilder.com and spec your own wheels. H plus son hydra rim or something similar, bitex RA hubs, sapim double butted spokes, brass nipples. Itll cost $425-550 with the discount depending on what options you choose.

Personally, I would just use the tires on the bike for a month of riding to see if they work for how I ride. If your gravel is easily ridden on the stock tires, then is a second wheelset really needed/helpful?
If my gravel bike were my only drop bar bike, I would buy something like the Velocita tire- high volume slick and see if I was happy with it on pavement and gravel rides. I know that I wouldnt change wheelsets every time I wanted to ride. If I had gravel tires on and my kid wanted to go ride with me on trails and roads, I would just end up using the wheelset on there since its easier.
...but im lazy.
Old 08-18-20, 11:50 AM
grannygears

I honestly don't have a clue of what type of rims to order with what specs for this bike. What would be a good set of already built 700c alloy rims with disc brakes that can fit 38mm to say 42mm tires comfortably? im assuming they come with spokes and hubs already installed, all I have to do id add the cassette? I know this bike does not have quick release im sure its the skewers....

Do I have to look for a specific hub size? Is there a skewer size? Will the disc brakes always be mounted in the same place? Will they drop right into my 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced 0 ?

A friend of mine just took delivery of this exact same bike a few weeks ago and he has been on a few rides already. He said the only thing he did not like was these tires seemed to want to "wash out" on the loose gravel when cornering. I know that these tires will be perfect for the type of fitness rides that I do which consist of usually 75% road and 25% gravel. I do want something like a Schwalbe G one or something for fast loose gravel trails and roads.

Last edited by grannygears; 08-18-20 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-18-20, 01:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
You need 142mm thru axle hubs. If the wheels are prebuilt, then yeah they will come with spokes and everything since they are prebuilt.
The Hope wheels that were linked earlier are great. Below is also a simplified option that is built in the US.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/h...0c-126226.html
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/h...00c-95184.html
https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/pwb-...t-package.html get 12x100 and 12x142 hubs, double butted spokes, brass nipples, and choose the type of brake rotor attachment you want(6 bolt or center lock). Call them- they are great to work with.

Your current tires are 40mm. There are a ton of G One options since Schwalbe works hard to make tire choices confusing, but I dont think any of the G One tires are wider than 38(other than MTB which dont apply to your frame). If you want a 38mm for gravel, just keep the 40s you have.
...unless I am mistaking and/or misunderstanding something here. It seems like an odd setup for a 2nd wheelset since your 1st would do the same thing just as competently
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-18-20, 01:55 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
I honestly don't have a clue of what type of rims to order with what specs for this bike. What would be a good set of already built 700c alloy rims with disc brakes that can fit 38mm to say 42mm tires comfortably? im assuming they come with spokes and hubs already installed, all I have to do id add the cassette? I know this bike does not have quick release im sure its the skewers....

Do I have to look for a specific hub size? Is there a skewer size? Will the disc brakes always be mounted in the same place? Will they drop right into my 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced 0 ?

A friend of mine just took delivery of this exact same bike a few weeks ago and he has been on a few rides already. He said the only thing he did not like was these tires seemed to want to "wash out" on the loose gravel when cornering. I know that these tires will be perfect for the type of fitness rides that I do which consist of usually 75% road and 25% gravel. I do want something like a Schwalbe G one or something for fast loose gravel trails and roads.
The key factors when shopping will be to get the right hub axle size (your bike is 12x100mm on the front, and 12x142mm on the rear), the right wheel diameter (your bike is 700c) and make sure the hubs are disc-brake. Almost all disc brake hubs are "thru-axle", which is what your bike is, rather than "quick-release" which is generally rim-brake only.

For a dedicated gravel/off-road wheelset you should consider rims on the wider size, and look for something tubeless compatable. I'd target a minimum internal width of 23-25mm if you're planning to run 35-40mm gravel tires on them.

The disc brake alignment should work fine between any wheelset (some minor adjustment of the caliper might be needed), but I would suggest buying a second set of disc rotors and a second cassette if you plan to swap wheels frequently.

You can get pre-built wheels from any of the manufacturers noted above, or just about any LBS can sell or build you up a set using whatever parts you want. There are many options for wheels and some good suggestions already in this thread. You could also look at major manufacturers like Mavic, Shimano, etc. to get an idea of what they offer.

Your stock wheels are lightweight deep dish carbon. Many of the $500 alloy wheelsets mentioned in this thread so far would likely be heavier and less aerodynamic, and might feel like a downgrade in comparison. Something to keep in mind.

Last edited by msu2001la; 08-18-20 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-18-20, 02:20 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Lots of folx round here on Boondocks; https://alexrims.com/products/boondocks-3/
Old 08-18-20, 02:40 PM
grannygears

Wow thank you for the information guys! The problem is that I do not feel like the Maxxis Velocita tires that come with this bike will do a good job on high speed gravel trails with cornering. Like I said a friend of mine just bought the same bike and in two weeks he has said his tires wanted to "wash out" a few times on him on high speed cornering on gravel trails.

I have owned one gravel bike before this so I have a pretty good idea of what type of riding I do. I will a few times a week hop on this bike and go for a 30-40 km fitness ride consisting of 70% road and 30% smooth gravel. This type of ride I have no doubt that the Maxxis Velocita tires will do a great job. I will also use this bike to commute to work a couple times a week which will consist of the same types of surfaces.

However I have gone on dedicated gravel rides where my old bike has 38mm Schwalbe G One Bite tires and excelled in this scenario. some of these rides included rough gravel roads with loose gravel and some city type gravel pathways and trails that have loose gravel and higher speed cornering. Its these types of rides I have no faith in the Maxxis Velocita tire already and I havn't even ridden it yet. Going by my friends accounts and seeing it in person its very slick and even gets slicker on the corners for cornering on roads.

For this reason I thought it may be a good idea to keep the stock wheelset for the fitness rides and commutes to work. then I buy a cheaper alloy wheelset with more burly tires for the dedicated gravel rides which are more rowdy. I thought its better to have the carbon wheelset as the road set and some alloys for the rougher gravel riding.

I could however just swap out the tires for a more "do it all" type of tire and run the carbon wheels for everything, saving alot of money!!!
Old 08-18-20, 03:31 PM
msu2001la

Two wheelsets is definitely a great way to expand your range and makes it easier to run tubeless.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably mount some 32c road tires to the stock carbon wheels and use those for pavement/smooth gravel/fitness rides, and buy a second wheelset for off-road and run those G-one bites on that set, since you know those tires work for you.
Old 08-18-20, 03:35 PM
BluFalconActual

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
On the Hope's, I know it says on the Merlin site that they come with QR's standard, but mine shipped with the end caps for 12mm axels as well. The Hope website also says that they ship with the endcaps. As far as changing them, all you need to do is pull them off with your hand or a pair of pliers and slap the news ones on. You would have to tape them up to make them tubeless.

https://www.hopetech.com/products/wh...-20five-pro-4/
Old 08-18-20, 04:34 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Wow thank you for the information guys! The problem is that I do not feel like the Maxxis Velocita tires that come with this bike will do a good job on high speed gravel trails with cornering. Like I said a friend of mine just bought the same bike and in two weeks he has said his tires wanted to "wash out" a few times on him on high speed cornering on gravel trails.

I have owned one gravel bike before this so I have a pretty good idea of what type of riding I do. I will a few times a week hop on this bike and go for a 30-40 km fitness ride consisting of 70% road and 30% smooth gravel. This type of ride I have no doubt that the Maxxis Velocita tires will do a great job. I will also use this bike to commute to work a couple times a week which will consist of the same types of surfaces.

I could however just swap out the tires for a more "do it all" type of tire and run the carbon wheels for everything, saving alot of money!!!
Just thinking outside the box, could you run a set of 650b rims on this frame? A fatter tire on the 27.5 rims could give you a new dimension of ride with a diameter close to the 700x40. Just wondering.
Old 08-18-20, 08:34 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Just thinking outside the box, could you run a set of 650b rims on this frame? A fatter tire on the 27.5 rims could give you a new dimension of ride with a diameter close to the 700x40. Just wondering.
+1! With a Vittoria Terreno Dry or Zero on it at 35 PSI or lower... Gravel killer that is quick on roads too... If your frame clears 650b...
I'd go for the new Shimano GRX wheelset too. We sell, ride and service Hunt, Reynolds, FSA, Easton, Shimano and i9 wheels at our shop. All have their strong points, but for the money and for what you are doing I believe that is the best value for you. Cup and cone adjustable bearings, straigt pull spokes, ~1630 grams, great warranty, bombproof, $418. Put 35 mm Rene Herse slicks on your carbon set and enjoy road riding on those too.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 08-26-20, 10:01 PM
RockiesDad

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
If you want local (USA) I would suggest Psimet Wheels. Pretty nice, reasonably priced and bulletproof...

https://www.psimet.com/shop/gravel-a...er-disc-brake/

Last edited by RockiesDad; 08-26-20 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-27-20, 02:13 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by RockiesDad
If you want local (USA) I would suggest Psimet Wheels. Pretty nice, reasonably priced and bulletproof...

https://www.psimet.com/shop/gravel-a...er-disc-brake/
I can vouch for Psimet as well. I have a set of their tubular alloy wheels that I have used for CX racing for years. They're reasonably light and tough, and were very inexpensive. I will definitely consider buying another set from them when the time comes.

The owner is a regular poster on here and also runs a top level CX team and organizes races, including the Illinois CX state championship race last year. He knows his stuff when it comes to wheels and gravel/CX.