Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Adirondack Exploring

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 09:15 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,180 Posts
Adirondack Exploring

With an eye towards some extended distance rides in the Daks, a buddy and I did some gravel bike exploring last Tues and Wed. during a canoe and camping trip. West of Tupper Lake on some really nice roads then some exploring in the Essex Chain area east of Long Lake. The Essex Chain is less maintained (not at all really) but is still rideable on a bike with 32mm slicks (marginally). I uses a gravel bike with 37mm knobbies

Beautiful and remote areas, lots of potential for longer rides.

Essex Chain road

Lowe’s Lake dam

5th Lake, Essex Chain

Old 08-22-20, 06:27 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Wow, that looks nice. I was up at Lake George last week and there really isn't any good road riding there. When my daughter went to SUNY Potsdam we would drive through Tupper Lake and I remember thinking the roads there would be OK, except there aren't many places to stop. Maybe gravel biking would be a good alternative, except I don't have a gravel bike. N+1!
Old 08-22-20, 06:43 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by zacster
Wow, that looks nice. I was up at Lake George last week and there really isn't any good road riding there. When my daughter went to SUNY Potsdam we would drive through Tupper Lake and I remember thinking the roads there would be OK, except there aren't many places to stop. Maybe gravel biking would be a good alternative, except I don't have a gravel bike. N+1!
The roads are terrific for cycling, the area north of Saranac Lake has a bunch of good loops, Wilmington as well and of course the Champlain valley is terrific. In the center region - Newcomb, Long Lake, Tupper Lake, Blue Mt, etc..... some long distances between towns, it’s certainly not Vermont !. GoI’d roads though.

Its been my mission recently to seek out (gravel) and boldly go where not may have gone. That seems to be the case in the 2 areas I rode in. I saw NO tire tracks, though I know these areas do see cyclists. I’ve currently figured out 3 loops of trails that are 25-35 or more each, which when you are averaging 12 mph maybe, make for good days. There’s more in the area as well, good for a gravel bike or plain old hardtail. Yin’s of camping in the area as well, which makes it easier logistically.
Old 01-12-21, 03:46 PM
J.Owen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 8 Posts
Late to the party here on this one, but if you're back up that way you should check out the trial to Camp Santanoni. Its the middle part of this ride on the section from Newcomb North. Takes you over a nice climb and down to the lake where Camp Santanoni sits.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2474191775
Old 01-14-21, 07:22 AM
RWHowe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Check out this company for info - bikeadirondacks.com/events/ciclismo-classico
Old 01-14-21, 07:50 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by J.Owen
Late to the party here on this one, but if you're back up that way you should check out the trial to Camp Santanoni. Its the middle part of this ride on the section from Newcomb North. Takes you over a nice climb and down to the lake where Camp Santanoni sits.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2474191775
Yes, I've skied this. Haven't biked it as it's only 5.5 miles long. Maybe as a ride from somewhere else.
Old 01-14-21, 08:24 AM
J.Owen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 8 Posts
Agreed. As you saw I rode up from Long Lake where we have a house. Made for a nice change of pace in the middle of the ride.