Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Ugo’s signature significant?

Old 09-04-20, 06:44 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
Ugo’s signature significant?

My gf bought this DeRosa today and the seller told her he had once heard that the presence of Ugo’s signature on the top tube signified that he actually had a hand in building it.

fact or fiction ?

This signature

Old 09-04-20, 07:01 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Don't believe the hype

DD
Old 09-04-20, 08:11 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Signature art work or decals have little effect on the value prestige of a bike regardless of level. Also based on the frame details this one seems pretty low for De Rosa don't know much about De Rosa from this time frame but suspect every other bike they sold had the sig decal art . I does have some significance in it shows the condition of the bike since these seem to half wear off vanish on Italian bikes after about 100 miles of actual riding. As for value without better pic full bike and drive train I would say under $500 IMHO may be proven wrong but I would be hard pressed to go over $400 as presented.

Last edited by zukahn1; 09-04-20 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-12-20, 03:36 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
No bonus for the fellow who placed the Classico transfer, the final o drifted.
What a incongruent fork. (BF spellcheck needs a bigger dictionary)

I smile at these urban bike shop legends. The eponymous signature is a marketing thing, started by others about 1970.
I first saw it on a Gran Criterium from 1970.
Not to say Masi was the first. My hunch is that at the periodic Milan trade show, the various brands took note of each other.
The signature was adopted by others, Pogliaghi, Colnago, DeRosa - much later, not to be a comprehensive list.
Colnago was known to take a sharpie to his bikes if asked at gran fondo events.
Baylis even had Ernesto sign a Colnago tribute frame Brian built.
That one could be worth extra.