Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant ESCAPE

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant ESCAPE

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-20, 10:19 AM
inkman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Giant ESCAPE

HI, is there anyone has or owned a Giant escape r3 2012, I have a 2012 Giant Escape R3 size xxs and it comes in a vbrake, can i use or replace to a cantilever brakes? need help or answers thanks
Old 09-13-20, 11:34 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
You can replace a V-brake with a cantilever brake, but you'll need some parts to do so, other than the obvious (like the brakes themselves). You'll need new brake levers on the handlebar (cantilever brakes use short pull brake levers, and V-brakes use long pull brake levers). You'll need cable stops on the frame to terminate the outer brake housing above the brake area, because cantilever brakes use bare inner cable. In the front, this is often accomplished with either a fork-mounted cable hanger or a stem-mounted cable hanger. In the rear, this is usually accomplished with a cable stop bridge brazed onto the frame. Your frame won't have this, but you could probably rig up a seat post-mounted cable hanger.

None of it is undoable, but it's a lot of work and parts for brakes that are often not as easy to setup. Why are you wanting to convert to cantilever brakes/
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-14-20, 06:20 AM
inkman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, i have all the parts for a cantilever, but my specific question is for a giant escape r3 2012 model, because of the frame on the rear part, sad i cant post a photo of it
Old 09-14-20, 08:18 AM
hokiefyd 

It looks like the frame is no different in the back than many bikes not designed for cantilever brakes. You don't have a cable stop bridge between the rear seat stays, so you'd have to use a seat post-mounted cable hanger. Google for "seat post cable hanger" and you'll see examples of what you'd need for that. It appears that you have a cable stop on the non-drive side of the top tube, underneath. You'd need to run a length of outer housing from this cable stop to your seat post cable hanger to get the inner cable up and on top of the brake area, so it travels in a straight line down the center of the seat stay area.

Edit: it looks like BikeForums filters out Red Dit URLs. Google for "2012 giant escape r3" to see a picture of what I'm seeing.
Old 09-14-20, 08:38 AM
inkman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have all the parts that you are saying, in time ill post the actual photo here, by now I'm not eligible to post a photo, heheh thanks man.
Old 09-14-20, 12:24 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by inkman
i have all the parts that you are saying, in time ill post the actual photo here, by now I'm not eligible to post a photo, heheh thanks man.
Send me a private message here with a photo or the link and I'll post it for you.