Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gravel 1x vs Gravel 2x as Road Bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gravel 1x vs Gravel 2x as Road Bike?

Old 09-14-20, 11:49 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Since you are riding a single speed now, just get with the 1x. If you are able to spin out the 40t then get a bigger chainring. You’re going to have an 11-42 cassette. It’s not like you won’t be able to ride it.

Years ago I rode all over Orange County and my lowest gear was a 42-28.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-15-20, 03:49 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Was it me? I hope it was me. I mean, my 1X Ritchey has 21,000 miles on it. It's done Onyx Summit, the IE to San Diego, it's been to the Grand Canyon, it's been everywhere. I've never felt particularly limited by the gearing. I have on many occasions felt severely limited by the engine.

And I'd be the first person to say that 1X probably isn't for everyone. But the combo of hacking at it or eschewing it based on perceived limitations... as a solo rider, I don't get it. Most people don't use all the gears they have. I use 'em all on nearly every ride.
well, I've seen people raced Vision Quest (grueling 50 mile mtb race in Socal) on a BMX.
I've seen people ride the Breathless Agony ride on single speed, and even a beach cruiser!
Bottomline is, if you're really hell bent on doing something, you will probably do it.
It doesn't mean it's the best way.

1x is great for mtb terrains because these terrains are either up or down and not much flat, then a big gear jump is not only not a big issue, it is even desired.
But on the road, I'll take 2x anyday.
Old 09-15-20, 04:00 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Embracing the notion that "the best way" is to simply cram as many gears as possible onto a bicycle sounds a bit to me like a marketing success. If memory serves me, the entire bicycling world made it through the better part of a century with less than 10 speeds, and many today still manage to get by with even just one. I guess they're all... not being their best?

There is no best way to ride a bicycle. Shaving weight, adding gears, chasing marginal gains, these are all just diversions to all but the last 0.01%. I'm not a part of that percentage point. If having half the gears of the other guy makes me X% slower over X distance... so what? I put a couple hundred miles on my SSCX every month-- not to be the fastest, not to try to set some kind of record, real or imagined. I don't own a bicycle that has it's capabilities limited by the number of gears it has. They're bikes. I ride them. It's all good.
Old 09-15-20, 07:12 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Embracing the notion that "the best way" is to simply cram as many gears as possible onto a bicycle sounds a bit to me like a marketing success. If memory serves me, the entire bicycling world made it through the better part of a century with less than 10 speeds, and many today still manage to get by with even just one. I guess they're all... not being their best?

There is no best way to ride a bicycle. Shaving weight, adding gears, chasing marginal gains, these are all just diversions to all but the last 0.01%. I'm not a part of that percentage point. If having half the gears of the other guy makes me X% slower over X distance... so what? I put a couple hundred miles on my SSCX every month-- not to be the fastest, not to try to set some kind of record, real or imagined. I don't own a bicycle that has it's capabilities limited by the number of gears it has. They're bikes. I ride them. It's all good.
then by your logic, there's really no need to improve anything. A singlespeed from Walmart should suffice, and everything else is just marketing, including the notion of a "1x gravel bike" (which doesn't exist until very recently).
Old 09-15-20, 07:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Ah, perhaps BF's favorite ol' chestnut: the False Dichotomy. Sigh.

I stated my opinion in post 11. It hasn't changed.
Old 09-15-20, 11:55 PM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Bikes: Felt Brogham, Vitus Dura Ace Build, Vintage Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone so far for all of the participation, advice, thoughts, opinions, etc! It has really helped with my research and discovery process.

I've now got a deposit on two different bikes a 1x and 2x to try out, the 2x has a bit more going on (tubeless ready wheels & tires, slight upgrades on components), but I am going to ride both

A little off topic but are there any brands you guys recommend for shorts and jerseys? Maybe padded shorts from what i've been reading. Figure I might as well get the rest of a proper setup as well.
Old 09-16-20, 04:48 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by ERabbit
Hey guys - I have been heavily debating getting a gravel bike to use as my "road bike" I like the idea of a little more relaxed/endurance geometry, bigger tires for a smoother ride, etc. I will be primarily using this as a "Road Bike" not really gravel riding.

Have been narrowing it down to several different models of Specialized Diverge or Giant Revolt Advanced. One of the Diverge models I really like aesthetically is Comp E5 which has a 40t Chainring and 11-42 Casette.

My ? is, will this be too limiting from a gearing perspective? Would I be better off in everyone's opinion with a 2x setup, seeing that this will be used primarily on the road.

I'm fairly physically fit, 6'1 180 thinking size 58. Would like to use cyclings to supplement my surfing when the waves aren't great, as another type of exercise that is fun and has much less impact physically than running.

Debating between just getting a base model diverge, riding it and figuring out what I want to do (I.e upgrade from 8spd to something better groupset wise, wheels, etc), going with the 1x Diverge Comp 11sd/Giant Revolt Advanced 1 1x 11spd or Giant Revolt Advanced 2 or 3 2x

I would appreciate the opinions/advice/insight from you guys who are much more experienced when it comes to this than I am haha

Diverge Comp E5

Diverge Base

Giant Revolt Advanced Models
i have not seen any valid argument for 1x outside of cyclocross or mtb races , or maybe just to have it , 2x will give you everything you need , full efficiency , and usually cost less !?!?!?!
Old 09-16-20, 11:14 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
As someone mentioned there is no gravel in Newport Beach. Actually, I know of no real gravel anywhere in SoCal west of the mountains. Don’t know what is happening in high/low deserts.

If you are riding from home you will either go up the coast to HB, where it is flat, or you will be riding in hills.

You need to pick the bike that matches how/where you ride.

I think someone posted a gear calculator which can give you speed at a certain cadence (rpm). Figure out what range you need.

As someone else noted, no one know how you ride, so the suggestions on what is best really don’t apply.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-16-20, 04:10 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Hey guys - I have been heavily debating getting a gravel bike to use as my "road bike" I like the idea of a little more relaxed/endurance geometry, bigger tires for a smoother ride, etc. I will be primarily using this as a "Road Bike" not really gravel riding.

Have been narrowing it down to several different models of Specialized Diverge or Giant Revolt Advanced. One of the Diverge models I really like aesthetically is Comp E5 which has a 40t Chainring and 11-42 Casette.

My ? is, will this be too limiting from a gearing perspective?
Yes. IMHO, cassettes with a two tooth jump before the 19 cog are unacceptable for road riding. I rode 13-21 8 cogs, 13-23 9, and currently use 13-26 10.

The pro-peloton didn't regularly ride cassettes wider than 12-23 until 10 cogs allowing more with one tooth jumps through the 17.

With 11 cogs, that gives you a choice of 11-25 or 12-27 with typical tolerance. You can have 11-23 or 12-25 when you're like me or the Campagnolo riding pros that stuck with 12-23 when they had 10 cogs but Shimano riders just 9.

That doesn't work with a single ring for most riders living outside Florida.

Would I be better off in everyone's opinion with a 2x setup, seeing that this will be used primarily on the road.
Yes.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 09-17-20 at 11:14 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 09-16-20, 05:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone so far for all of the participation, advice, thoughts, opinions, etc! It has really helped with my research and discovery process.

I've now got a deposit on two different bikes a 1x and 2x to try out, the 2x has a bit more going on (tubeless ready wheels & tires, slight upgrades on components), but I am going to ride both

A little off topic but are there any brands you guys recommend for shorts and jerseys? Maybe padded shorts from what i've been reading. Figure I might as well get the rest of a proper setup as well.
At this point, if I were feeling waggish, I'd say, "Have you checked out Rapha?" just to see how many more comments we can get on the thread.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-16-20, 06:08 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Here's my 2¢

I purchased a CX bike for my winter - foul weather bike. Since I live on Long Island there are no hills over a few hundred feet and I rarely ride over 25mph, unless going down hill.

So I went with a Sram Rival CX1 with a 40T and 11-32. I also replaced the 44cm bars with 42cm and put a road saddle on. I also have 2 sets of tires, the stock with 35mm knobby and a second with 32mm tubeless road.

The bike does it all.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-16-20, 06:10 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I've been very happy with Segoi RS Pro bibs.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-16-20, 08:23 PM
LSUFANDAN

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have the 2021 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon with 2x drivetrain. I’m 6’1” and weigh 175 pounds. I went with the size 58. I think it fits great but I’m not a pro with bike fits. I purchased it because I thought having the option for larger tires was a good idea. Ive had it since April and use it mostly on the road. I took the larger stock 38mm tires off and put on 32mm GP5000 road slicks. I posted one of my rides from my Apple Watch to show its pretty good as a road bike. I’m sure my fitness holds me back more than the bike. That being said. I really think you should think about what you really want before you go with a gravel bike. I thought the versatility was good but now I am obsessed with going fast. I’m now wondering how much faster I might be going if I went with a race or endurance road bike. Probably not much faster but how do I know until I try one out lol. I know adding the road slicks helped me go faster. If you are the type of person that will use the gravel bike as a multipurpose bike like it is was designed I’d say go for it. If you are mostly going to just ride on the road like I’ve been doing you may have some buyers remorse like I’m having.

Likes For LSUFANDAN:
Old 09-17-20, 12:29 AM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LSUFANDAN
I have the 2021 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon with 2x drivetrain. I’m 6’1” and weigh 175 pounds. I went with the size 58. I think it fits great but I’m not a pro with bike fits. I purchased it because I thought having the option for larger tires was a good idea. Ive had it since April and use it mostly on the road. I took the larger stock 38mm tires off and put on 32mm GP5000 road slicks. I posted one of my rides from my Apple Watch to show its pretty good as a road bike. I’m sure my fitness holds me back more than the bike. That being said. I really think you should think about what you really want before you go with a gravel bike. I thought the versatility was good but now I am obsessed with going fast. I’m now wondering how much faster I might be going if I went with a race or endurance road bike. Probably not much faster but how do I know until I try one out lol. I know adding the road slicks helped me go faster. If you are the type of person that will use the gravel bike as a multipurpose bike like it is was designed I’d say go for it. If you are mostly going to just ride on the road like I’ve been doing you may have some buyers remorse like I’m having.

We are basically the same size and I think I ordered exactly the same bike & color as you. I was planning to switch out the tires to these

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...8-barlow-pass/

Idea is to use it on road for the majority of riding.
Old 09-17-20, 12:31 AM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genejockey
At this point, if I were feeling waggish, I'd say, "Have you checked out Rapha?" just to see how many more comments we can get on the thread.
Seeing their ad's online and I've never been to their website or googled them

Any budget(ish) friendly brands you would recommend? Would be nice to have a couple sets to rotate between
Old 09-17-20, 12:33 AM
ERabbit
Boardwalk Loving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GlennR
I've been very happy with Segoi RS Pro bibs.
Those look nice!