Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vitus 979 question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vitus 979 question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 04:13 PM
cdaniels

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 53 Posts
Vitus 979 question

I recently got my first Vitus 979. I was wanting to put it back close to original. In looking around the internet I have noticed different 979 tubing decals and wanted to know if someone can explain the difference between them. Mine has the first one on the fork tubes and seat tube, the down tube has what looks like the second one but is to faded to be sure. I would think the shape is a year thing but why are some gold/tan and others green and some white?

Old 09-20-20, 06:31 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Vitus decals are baffling. I have no idea, and I've got one, one of my friends has one, and another friend has two!

It sounds like you have an early Vitus 979, based on the decals. I wonder if the gold/tan ones have yellowed with age, but I'm not old enough to know!
Old 09-20-20, 06:34 PM
cdaniels

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 53 Posts
It is older, it has the pinch bolt for the seat tube instead of the grub screw.
Old 09-21-20, 10:39 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Far from an expect but IIRC I have not seen a pre 1985 with Dural they all had Duralinox, my post 1985 grub screw bike has your second decal. That said the decals fade and fail so I may have seen replacements.
Old 09-21-20, 01:17 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
I should have mentioned this site, best I have found for C&V Vitus: https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/2019/