Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fork Damaged

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon Fork Damaged

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 07:43 AM
amoroso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon Fork Damaged

Got my first real road bike shipped to me... And to my disappointment the fork got damaged. The box looked like it was penetrated by a rod of some sort and damaged the fork. See image: View image: image by the time this all gets settled and I get a new fork it's going to be winter and won't be able to ride. Is it safe to ride at all? Or should I just wait for a replacement?
Old 09-05-15, 08:08 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Do you value you teeth? I wouldn't ride that, especially on a bike that is being returned anyway
Old 09-05-15, 09:00 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I'd want to see it in person to confirm but that 'damage' looks entirely superficial only affecting the paint on the fork. Assuming you confirm how superficial it truly is, I'd ride that fork without concern.
Old 09-05-15, 10:01 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is it going to take so long to resolve? Is it a knockoff or something?
Old 09-06-15, 08:16 AM
amoroso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not superficial. I've showed it to a few bike shops and they do not recommend riding on it. The bike is a legit Bianchi bought at a dealer. I am going through the carriers insurance. Which I am sure it's lengthy process. It's been started but we will see how long it takes...
Old 09-06-15, 08:27 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by amoroso
It's not superficial. I've showed it to a few bike shops and they do not recommend riding on it. The bike is a legit Bianchi bought at a dealer. I am going through the carriers insurance. Which I am sure it's lengthy process. It's been started but we will see how long it takes...

So if all the LBS you asked told you it's unsafe to ride, why are you asking strangers on the internet if you should go ahead and ride it?

If you do decide to ride it and it completely fails, is the shipper still going to replace it?
Old 09-06-15, 08:30 AM
amoroso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just looking for more opinions. I'm just going to play it safe and just wait it out. Just super excited to get on the saddle I guess. Thanks everyone
Old 09-06-15, 08:36 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it normal that if a bike is damaged you go through the carrier insurance? I thought the dealer would handle it just to keep you happy since they could do it quicker.
Old 09-06-15, 08:39 AM
dnslater

Bikes: 2011 Guru Praemio Ti (Rival), 03 Gary Fisher Franken-hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the seller shipped it then they are responsible for the insurance claim and should worry about the claim and make it right with you sooner.
Old 09-06-15, 08:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
I'd want to see it in person to confirm but that 'damage' looks entirely superficial only affecting the paint on the fork. Assuming you confirm how superficial it truly is, I'd ride that fork without concern.
It looks superficial to me too, but I'd go with the judgement of the local bike shops. They've actually seen the fame. Perhaps tapped on it to listen to it echo, etc. However, it is quite possible they're a bit conservative with their judgement too.

Also, if you deem it is fine, it may be hard to justify full replacement costs.

Do you have to wait for the shipper? Can you just buy the correct fork, and then you'll have the full charges for purchase, shipping, and installation.

Also, is this a 2015 or 2016 model? If it is a 2015 model, then I'd encourage you to get the ball rolling SOON!!!

Good luck with it.
Old 09-06-15, 08:45 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
remember, the lbs is always going to err on the side of caution.

why would they risk saying it's safe to ride even if it is?
Old 09-06-15, 08:56 AM
amoroso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought it at a LBS while visiting my parent, the LBS packed it and my dad shipped it
Old 09-06-15, 08:57 AM
amoroso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just want a replacement fork not an entire bike... It's a 2014
Old 09-06-15, 09:00 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
superficial or not, I would not want a brand new bike with cosmetic damage like that out of the box either.
Old 09-06-15, 09:14 AM
CliffordK

Model years change quickly.

Have you found a replacement fork with a matching paint job?

You could, of course, go with black, but a matching fork will look better.
Old 09-06-15, 09:21 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I bought it at a LBS while visiting my parent, the LBS packed it and my dad shipped it
Make sure you keep the box, and pictures of the damaged box. Carriers insurance sometimes insists on examining that.
Old 09-06-15, 09:45 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Looks cosmetic- I wouldn't hesitate to ride it FOR THE SHORT-TERM- until you get the issue resolved and get a new fork. Log-term is another story....with such damage, it could deteriorate and fail- but I think it would be fine for a few months.

It took me about 2 months to get my damage claim resolved (from filing the claim, to getting the check) when UPS put a dent in a bike that was shipped to me, by harpooning the box. I hope that you had the delivery person note that there was damage to the box, or you may be SOL as far as a claim goes. I LOVE that color combo!
Old 09-06-15, 02:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I'm not understanding the situation obviously.. The LBS ordered you a bike (ie. they're selling you this bike)? It arrived with damage. And you are the one stuck having to file the claim? Why not just buy an all new setup and return all the stuff you got?
Old 09-06-15, 03:07 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm not understanding the situation obviously.. The LBS ordered you a bike (ie. they're selling you this bike)? It arrived with damage. And you are the one stuck having to file the claim? Why not just buy an all new setup and return all the stuff you got?
It depends on the details. If it was purchased with the expectation to take delivery in the OP's home town, then it should be able to be returned.

On the other hand, if the OP purchased it, rode it around for a few months, then had it shipped home, then he would already own the bike.

Being a 2014 as the 2016 models are rolling out, it would have either been lightly used, or new old stock when purchased, and hopefully the OP got a good deal on the bike which he might not be able to match locally.

Contact Bianchi (possibly through either LBS involved), and start hunting for a matching replacement fork NOW. You'll need to know the cost and availability for any insurance claims.

One benefit of building up and riding your bike now is you would get a good feel for the actual condition of the fork. You may choose to just touch up the paint and ride it rather than buying a grossly mismatched fork. Nonetheless, I'd keep that fork as a spare, or in case you choose to sell the bike later and don't have a perfect match.
Old 09-06-15, 06:14 PM
amoroso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the comments. It was new old stock that was priced very well. I was going to buy a 2015 locally but the prices were outrageous!! While visiting my parents I decided to look around some bike shops and ran into this bike at a very aggressive price. It was hard to pass up. I test rode it and fell in love. So bike shop agreed to box it for free since they have all the box and packing materials. He packed it well. He is currently getting a hold of Bianchi to see the costs of one. Worse comes to worse I'll try to get a aftermarket red fork if they do not have anymore in stock. Super excited to get into road bikes... Hope to get this resolved soon. Thanks again everyone
Old 09-06-15, 07:12 PM
CliffordK

You might also contact Calfree.

They would give you a professional determination of the fork integrity, and could probably fix it up as good as new.

https://calfeedesign.com/
Old 09-12-15, 06:39 PM
amoroso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Bianchi doesn't have this fork in stock anymore. Really bummed out... At this point I am in a pickle. Went to a LBS and they told me to go this route: CARBON ARC-629N

The steerer is aluminum and not carbon like the Bianchi. Ugh I dont know what to do anymore. Was so excited for this bike now it's become a nightmare.
Old 09-12-15, 06:44 PM
amoroso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly feel like getting some red nail polish but don't know if I'm playing Russian Roulette...
Old 09-12-15, 08:20 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You might also contact Calfree.

They would give you a professional determination of the fork integrity, and could probably fix it up as good as new.

https://calfeedesign.com/
Ugh I dont know what to do anymore.
If only someone had provided a reasonable repair alternative to check into.
Old 09-12-15, 08:44 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Calfee normally doesn't repair forks. From their FAQ page:
What do you not repair?

Frequently rejected repairs include: aluminum-to-carbon bonding, carbon handlebars, forks, seat posts/integrated seat posts, stems, damage to carbon wheels, and metal frames.
I'd still send them some photos and see what they say. Notice they say 'Frequently', not 'Absolutely'. They may do something like strip off the paint there and see if the damage is superficial.

If I had a bike store and someone brought in your damaged fork, I'd probably say "don't ride it", even if I thought it was just cosmetic. There's no upside to getting involved and having "something" happen later, even if it wasn't caused by the dings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.