Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate MKS Sylvan Touring Pedal Hack

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-20, 11:11 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts

Do you want an extra wide platform pedal or just want to be able to ride your MKS Sylvan Youing Pedals with any shoe like soft soled tennis shoes or even sandles? This is what you do. Get an old road sign or some 1/16" aluminum and cut a ribbon of it 43/4" wide and 5 or 6,inches long. Take the square edge and measure up 1". Put the 1" edge down into a bench vise and bend it over by hand then finish it off with a 3 lb. hand maul. You can stop right here if you want the platform removable. If you do just slap it on the backside of the pedal and scribe along the front of the pedal and cut the line. After that just put the new pad on the back of the pedal and scribe the two mounting holes and drill the back plate. Then get some small bolts and bolt it on. If later you want to remove it for some touring, just undo the little bolts and take it off. I went ahead and marked off 21/2" from the bend, the length of the pedal the an additional 1", the width of the rail and cut that line. Then measured down 1" and put that 1" edge down in a vise and bent another 90 degree angle giving you two 1" lips to go over the rails. I don't know if this is necessary. It should be very stable with one lip, that way you can take it off without taking off your toe clips. If you have no clips then bend the double edge and bolt it up to both rails .
Old 03-05-20, 08:12 AM
mjac

The basic MKS Sylvan Touring Pedal is only $27. So you could have the widest platform pedal on the market for next to nothing.
Old 03-05-20, 11:18 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
You might also like:

Or:
Old 03-05-20, 01:14 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Interesting toe strap/ zip tie set up...
Old 03-05-20, 01:26 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I thought so as well, doesn't look as if it would contribute to a smooth pedal stroke
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-05-20, 02:30 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Cut the zip-tie off.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 03-05-20, 04:29 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
You might also like:

I recently had a Physical Therapy based bike fit, due to needing my left ankle fused. THis was one of the suggestions as well as a more midfoot placement on the pedals.
Old 03-05-20, 07:00 PM
mjac

[QUOTE=AnkleWork;21354420]You might also like:

Or:
[/QUO

What is that? I do not know about this but the further my foot went into the toe clip, even with the ball of the foot slightly passed the spindle the more comfortable it got. Not to this extreme but past ball of foot over spindle theory. I only caught your text about physical therapist for a second and then it disappeared so I do not know what the purposes of these were in your case.
Old 03-05-20, 07:07 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I thought so as well, doesn't look as if it would contribute to a smooth pedal stroke
Originally Posted by trailangel
Cut the zip-tie off.
Okay you bunch of Eagle Eyes, that was for positioning the pedal for my beautiful photography. My thin white tie ties weren't long enough so I opted for the medium black risking getting it spotted and suffering blowback. Tie ties are omnipresent. You can do anything with tie ties and Duck Tape.
Old 03-05-20, 07:12 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by zjrog
I recently had a Physical Therapy based bike fit, due to needing my left ankle fused. THis was one of the suggestions as well as a more midfoot placement on the pedals.
There it is. Now I get it. Is this just a recommendation for particular cases like yours or do they believe this applies in general to all cicyling? Do they think this is more efficient in general or just to compensate for an injury? I am thinking it is because of injury huh?
Old 03-05-20, 07:16 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by mjac
Okay you bunch of Eagle Eyes, that was for positioning the pedal for my beautiful photography. My thin white tie ties weren't long enough so I opted for the medium black risking getting it spotted and suffering blowback. Tie ties are omnipresent. You can do anything with tie ties and Duck Tape.
Because everyone knows pedals with Toe Clips plop upside down when released making Shimano SPD Mountain Bike Cleats far superior for Urban Riding. Right.
Old 03-05-20, 07:42 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Tie ties?
Old 03-05-20, 08:24 PM
woodcraft

Gotta be really flexible to reach under your foot to adjust that toe strap.
Old 03-05-20, 08:48 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by JanMM
Tie ties?
That's right a Tie-Tie to hold the pedal horizontal while the photographer did his work. Tie-Ties, the 8th wonder of the world.
Old 03-05-20, 08:52 PM
mjac

Gotta be really flexible to reach under your foot to adjust that toe strap.
Oohhh, you lost the first Gambit so you are going to try another one. That was intentional my boy. No strap buckle on the shoe surface, tucked under the pedal permanently adjusted and blinded to be slightly loose for foot extraction. Ease of operation and comfort. Came up with that myself.
Old 03-05-20, 09:57 PM
woodcraft

Oohhh, you lost the first Gambit so you are going to try another one. That was intentional my boy. No strap buckle on the shoe surface, tucked under the pedal permanently adjusted and blinded to be slightly loose for foot extraction. Ease of operation and comfort. Came up with that myself.

That's "mister" boy to you.
Old 03-05-20, 10:46 PM
mjac

That's "mister" boy to you.
My mistake. It is an Euphemism. You made me laugh.
Old 03-06-20, 02:22 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

There it is. Now I get it. Is this just a recommendation for particular cases like yours or do they believe this applies in general to all cicyling? Do they think this is more efficient in general or just to compensate for an injury? I am thinking it is because of injury huh?
A couple podiatry based sites are pushing the midfoot idea.

My PT suggested the Catalyst pedals to fully support my foot, as I can only stand on the pedals if I wear my AFO brace. I've had to lower my seats to accomodate the loss of flexibility in my ankle and midfoot.
Old 03-06-20, 08:27 AM
mjac

A couple podiatry based sites are pushing the midfoot idea.

My PT suggested the Catalyst pedals to fully support my foot, as I can only stand on the pedals if I wear my AFO brace. I've had to lower my seats to accomodate the loss of flexibility in my ankle and midfoot.
This is what I don't understand. "A couple of podiatry sites are pushing the mid foot idea." Are they saying in general, cicyling puts so much stress on the foot even for perfectly healthy cicylists that they recommend the mid foot technique to reduce stress for everyone or are they only recommending it for people who are recovering from injuries or have some disabilities from injuries or other factors? Do they think it is a better practice in general? With everyone,even the recreational rider, stressing efficiency so much in everything from tires, bikes,even clothing, they actually think this is a more efficient pedaling system?

I think I understand now. The boot thing is the AFO brace and you need the Catalyst Pedal to accommodate the brace.These people actually study the physics and mechanics of the foot. They are serious about this. On the surface as a laymen I am trying to picture how a person can pedal with a fused ankle.It is doable,you have done it? What kind of distances are you talking about?

I hope you you have as full a recovery as possible and it does not interfere with your cicyling too much.Why did you have to have your ankle fused?
Old 03-06-20, 03:07 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
I think Phil Wood may have beaten you to the punch by about 40 years!
Except his had a ridge for slot cleats.

Image from VeloBase.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 03-06-20, 10:36 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by obrentharris
I think Phil Wood may have beaten you to the punch by about 40 years!
Except his had a ridge for slot cleats.

Image from VeloBase.
Brent
Who is this guy. He obviously has something on the ball. This is uncanny.
Old 03-06-20, 11:20 PM
zjrog

This is what I don't understand. "A couple of podiatry sites are pushing the mid foot idea." Are they saying in general, cicyling puts so much stress on the foot even for perfectly healthy cicylists that they recommend the mid foot technique to reduce stress for everyone or are they only recommending it for people who are recovering from injuries or have some disabilities from injuries or other factors? Do they think it is a better practice in general? With everyone,even the recreational rider, stressing efficiency so much in everything from tires, bikes,even clothing, they actually think this is a more efficient pedaling system?

I think I understand now. The boot thing is the AFO brace and you need the Catalyst Pedal to accommodate the brace.These people actually study the physics and mechanics of the foot. They are serious about this. On the surface as a laymen I am trying to picture how a person can pedal with a fused ankle.It is doable,you have done it? What kind of distances are you talking about?

I hope you you have as full a recovery as possible and it does not interfere with your cicyling too much.Why did you have to have your ankle fused?
AFO, Ankle Foot Orthosis. Come in a variety of styles for a variety of reasons. For me, fusion surgery is pushed out a while because I can function in the brace.

And I need my right knee replaced before having my left ankle fused.

I certainly have plenty of issues.

People with fused ankles can still walk well, the foot and ankle joints allow for quite a bit of movement depending on which sections are fused. I have looked into ankle replacement, but the replacement process is far less mature than knee or hip replacements.

I had my left knee replaced over 9 years ago that has been phenomenal. I was back to work after 5 weeks. Over 8 years ago, I broke my back in a cycling crash. I'm fused 6 levels, T7-12, and pain free, about 95% functional compared to before the crash. I was off work 8 weeks...

Podiatry sites have a lot of interesting info for midfoot pedal strokes, and using large platform pedals to support the foot. Or so it was explained to me...
Old 03-06-20, 11:33 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
[QUOTE=mjac;21355134]
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
You might also like:

Or:
[/QUO

What is that?.
I think that's an adaptive pedal for people who don't have the muscle control to keep their feet on pedals. I've seen one gent in my neighborhood on a recumbent trike with these- I'd guess he's got cerebral palsy but I've never seen him stop long enough for me to ask. Despite his difficulties he gets on down the road.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-07-20, 07:27 AM
mjac

[QUOTE=Jeff Wills;21356569]

I think that's an adaptive pedal for people who don't have the muscle control to keep their feet on pedals. I've seen one gent in my neighborhood on a recumbent trike with these- I'd guess he's got cerebral palsy but I've never seen him stop long enough for me to ask. Despite his difficulties he gets on down the road.
Upstream the OP responded,I am going from memory here, I rhink that is the boot and it is used with a large platform pedal that will receive it. I think that is the way it works. That is what I remember.
Old 03-07-20, 07:52 AM
mjac

AFO, Ankle Foot Orthosis. Come in a variety of styles for a variety of reasons. For me, fusion surgery is pushed out a while because I can function in the brace.

And I need my right knee replaced before having my left ankle fused.

I certainly have plenty of issues.

People with fused ankles can still walk well, the foot and ankle joints allow for quite a bit of movement depending on which sections are fused. I have looked into ankle replacement, but the replacement process is far less mature than knee or hip replacements.

I had my left knee replaced over 9 years ago that has been phenomenal. I was back to work after 5 weeks. Over 8 years ago, I broke my back in a cycling crash. I'm fused 6 levels, T7-12, and pain free, about 95% functional compared to before the crash. I was off work 8 weeks...

Podiatry sites have a lot of interesting info for midfoot pedal strokes, and using large platform pedals to support the foot. Or so it was explained to me...
I certainly hope your injuries do not interfere with your enjoyment of Cicyling. That would be a tough one on me. I hope everything turns out well.

But out my main question is do these Podiatry Sites recommend this mid-foot pedaling style for everyone as a preferred pedaling style?...Thanks,mjac

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.