Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Nutrition: What do you bring on longer rides?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ Nutrition: What do you bring on longer rides?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20, 11:36 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by sshakari
Appreciate all the replies with great tips for the future. I did figure out what my issue was! I skipped breakfast and was running on empty.
That will do it. Normally I have oatmeal and a banana at least one hour before riding. For me this is usually enough for up to 60 miles and 2,500 ft or so. I carry a Clif Bar, sometimes I eat it, or a few bites, if the ride is harder than normal or if I’m more depleted which sometimes is the case if I did a big ride the day before.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 07-07-20, 01:44 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
Originally Posted by sshakari
Hello everyone!

Went on a 60 mile ride this weekend and thought I had brought enough calories with me, but nearly bonked. I had about 500 calories with me 2 gels, 1 bar & sports drink - that was not enough. So, Im wondering what do us mature rides bring for food on longer rides?
I didn’t read any responses just skipped here let’s go by hours instead of distance because that is what really matters. 500 calories? Ain’t going to cut it. For example sake let’s go with 12 mph or 5 hours. 250-300 calories per hour or more. You are trying to finish with strength not trying to lose weight. Start taking in calories within one hour then refuel on the hour even if you feel good. I’m over 50 went 110 miles on Katy Trail eating and drinking carbs religiously on the hour. 1500-2000 calories ingested but more than that burned finished tired but not DEAD. just my experience I share with you. Take care
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-07-20, 02:48 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I did a comparable rid a few weeks ago - 64 miles with around 3,300 feet of climbing. Fairly warm day - hit the mid-80s.

At home, before leaving, I had a bowl of cereal and a grapefruit (kind of my normal breakfast). I think I had a couple of toast before leaving the house. My ride start was a little over an hour drive away. Just before starting to cycle, I had a banana I brought with me. I carried a couple of cliff bars with me along with a few pickle spears (I've gotten kind of attached to having pickles on my longer rides). Brought three water bottles with me. At about the 26 mile mark, having done two of the three long climbs, I was feeling like I didn't have enough to eat and drink to take me through the whole ride so I stopped at a convenience store and bought a banana, a small package of chips ahoy cookies, and a liter of gatorade to replenish my water bottles.
Not sure about the science of what I ate and drank, but I actually felt pretty good after the ride so I was happy
Old 07-07-20, 08:22 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
I did a comparable rid a few weeks ago - 64 miles with around 3,300 feet of climbing. Fairly warm day - hit the mid-80s.

At home, before leaving, I had a bowl of cereal and a grapefruit (kind of my normal breakfast). I think I had a couple of toast before leaving the house. My ride start was a little over an hour drive away. Just before starting to cycle, I had a banana I brought with me. I carried a couple of cliff bars with me along with a few pickle spears (I've gotten kind of attached to having pickles on my longer rides). Brought three water bottles with me. At about the 26 mile mark, having done two of the three long climbs, I was feeling like I didn't have enough to eat and drink to take me through the whole ride so I stopped at a convenience store and bought a banana, a small package of chips ahoy cookies, and a liter of gatorade to replenish my water bottles.
Not sure about the science of what I ate and drank, but I actually felt pretty good after the ride so I was happy
One of the women I ride mountain bikes with brings pickles on rides. Helps fight cramps and I sometimes drink a little pickle juice when I get home.
Old 07-08-20, 03:38 AM
dennis336

Originally Posted by big john
One of the women I ride mountain bikes with brings pickles on rides. Helps fight cramps and I sometimes drink a little pickle juice when I get home.
My initial motivation for trying the pickles mid-ride was to replenish salt/electrolytes ... I find them refreshing and a nice variation from the energy bars. Fortunately, I've been lucky not to get cramps on rides but good to hear they're helpful in that regard for your cycling friend!
Likes For dennis336:
Old 07-08-20, 12:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
I love pickles too. Both sweet and dill. Just not while riding. I've been on rides where they offered the branded Pickle Juice product at rest stops, but for some reason the smell just turns me off wanting such while exercising hard.

But if you like it great. As long as you don't splash me with it, I won't care.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-08-20, 01:10 PM
dennis336

Wait .... sweet pickles?!? I consider them hardly members of the pickle family. Strictly a dill man, here.
Likes For dennis336:
Old 07-09-20, 06:50 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Gotta love living in the Midwest where roadside fruit/produce stands are abundant. Instant oatmeal, eaten dry and washed down with water for breakfast, stop along the way for berries, apple, peach or whatever is in season -- if not, most convenience store/gas stations have bananas, apples or oranges... I'll grab a quick lunch at McDs or other fast food joint, but I prefer a sit-down small-town cafe/diner/greasy spoon for my evening meal... refill water bottle as often as necessary (I only carry one) and at each meal stop.
Old 07-09-20, 09:32 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Gotta love living in the Midwest where roadside fruit/produce stands are abundant. .
My ex and I did some overnight tours through an area with roadside stands. One time we stopped at a strawberry stand and they had ice water to rinse them if you wanted to devour them on site. They were so good I think we ate 2 baskets while we waited for the other couple we were riding with. The best ever!