Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Temperature - What's your limit?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Temperature - What's your limit?

Old 07-11-20, 06:35 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
High heat and humidity are tough on my 62 year old body. A week or so ago I rode in the afternoon when it was 92 and humid with no clouds. I struggled to stay hydrated and easily went through 2 large ice cold water bottles in under an hour. I was worried about heat stroke so called it a day after an hour.
Old 07-11-20, 08:08 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
You would never make it in AZ. It was 90F at 5am, will hit 115F later this afternoon.
ditto here. 91 when I went out this morning just before 6am. Only about 105 when I got back from a shortened ride of 41 miles. We normally do 55 or so on Saturday’s. High today has been 118 last I checked. It’s like riding in a blast furnace lol. In summer most of my rides are between 25-55 miles so we can be done relatively quickly. When it gets too onerous we’ll drive up into local hills and ride early there.

winter when I was in VA I would regularly ride at temps of around 25-28 F. The nice thing was that you could choose your layers and just stay in them the entire ride so it was really pretty nice when riding in the cold but still sunny. Here in PD we will get into mid 30’s sometimes but it warms up so quickly that it sucks with how many layers you need to put on and peel off
Likes For robbyville:
Old 07-13-20, 09:21 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 205 Posts
I tried to beat the heat Sunday, but i went longer than I thought / started later than was optimal....But as others have said,it is a DRY heat.
Old 07-13-20, 11:54 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Interesting, since the maximum temperature today at Dorval airport was 35.5 Celcius
I guess that number includes the humidex factor. We got 36.4 last Friday in Gatineau. It was a hot one!
Old 07-13-20, 12:21 PM
AndrewRc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I try to ride early in the morning and start with one water bottle frozen and another insulated cold bottle.
Old 07-13-20, 12:42 PM
divided_cycle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another Floridian here. I ride whenever I can during the week regardless of weather. Yesterday afternoon the "feels-like" temp was 102F and went out for a couple of hours without any ill effects. 100K+ rides, however, require some planning as there is zero shade on the roads I take for those. If I'm not out the door by 6-630a, I'll dial the distance back considerably. I'm also a fan of the 1 frozen bottle + 1 insulated one. I also make sure I have access to ice every hour or two.
Old 07-13-20, 12:55 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Generally 95°F - 100°F (35°C - 38°C) depending on humidity is my limit. I generally don't push it, particularly since I have a Wahoo KICKR in a nice air conditioned space and can easily cop out and ride indoors to maintain fitness.
Old 07-13-20, 04:12 PM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
temp is one thing but I want to know humidity too, we were up in the 90s all last week but we had a 87-91% humidity rate which just kills performance.
Old 07-13-20, 05:23 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
We have had a few heatwaves since the beginning of the summer and it made me wonder...what is everyone's limit when it comes to riding in harsh weather? The outside temp in my area reached 35c/95f today (44c/111f with the humidex factor) and we've been getting 30-35c (85-95f) on a regular basis since 2 weeks now. Very humid all the time unfortunately.

I went out for a ride last week and I had difficulty breathing. I went out this week thinking it would be better, but I simply couldn't get used to it. I am used to ride 100+ kms per weeks, but that temperature is really killing me and to be honest, it's frustrating not being able to ride as much as you are used to. Are any of you currently riding in similar conditions? If not, what's your limit?
I've gone out in the hottest days (Boston: not as hot as Phoenix!)...up to a 100, maybe a bit over, but usually not that hot. But I usually will go....I am surprised, but usually the heat doesn't really bother me. I know I'm happy riding my bike in tempertures that I would be TOTALLY MISERABLE walking in. i've ridden on days when their advisories because of pollution with the high temp, and been okay. I do tend to go shorter distances on the really hot days.
Old 07-13-20, 05:33 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Old 07-14-20, 07:25 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by MakiNn
temp is one thing but I want to know humidity too, we were up in the 90s all last week but we had a 87-91% humidity rate which just kills performance.
Yes. All our heatwaves are accompanied by a very high humidity level. It is hard to breathe and recover that's for sure, especially after a long climb.
Old 07-14-20, 08:12 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Interesting, since the maximum temperature today at Dorval airport was 35.5 Celcius
facteur humidex 43 degrés

Climbing Joy Hill from Freligsburg

felt more like 49 degrees with the 3PM sun
Old 07-14-20, 09:58 AM
Wooderson

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I used to do fine with hard weeknight training rides around 100 F, and even up to 105 F (that was my limit though), but I'm struggling with those temps this summer. I did a century Saturday and finished as the temp was just reaching 95 F, and I was having a hard time. The humidity was insane, however.
Old 07-14-20, 12:33 PM
BentRider56

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also in my 60's.
I don't enjoy riding much over 90F and/or high humidity. If I plan well, I'll get out early on roads that are still in morning shade, otherwise I have a kayak...or a basement trainer.
I rode most of this past Winter though, including a few segments down into the upper 20's F. Slipping a heat pack into my Winter mitts is more comfortable than overheating in Summer. The only downsides of Winter are snow/ice/salt/sand, and short battery life on the crash-cams.
Old 07-14-20, 06:55 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Before covid I rode home 12mi every workday summer at 4pm with temps 110-115F with matched HI. Highest was 121F actual temp. Sometimes in monsoon season there is a bit of humidity too so highest heat index I've cycled in is 135F. It was draining and 12mi was my limit. For my longer rides I like to start 95F and get back home 105F.
Old 07-14-20, 08:03 PM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Heat has never seemed to have effected me. I hiked down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back and I think the bottom of the Canyon can get over 100 easily.

I actually do better in wet very hot humid weather than dry heat, my body naturally cools itself off by sweating like a pig... and I will sweat a lot! So my own sweat cools me off. As long as I keep hydrated I can be out in the hot sun in 95+ degree heat all day long and be fine. I am sure that won't be the case when I get older, but I am still considered young and the heat has very little effect on me.

Many times in the summer I am out in the sun and heat all day long and I actually love the sun and the heat. I use to love being at the beach all day long with my wife in the summer, but since we have this virus you won't catch me or my wife anywhere near the beach.

A lot of friends and relatives get bothered by the heat and even my wife does, but it is never something that has seemed to bother my body really that much like others. As long as I am hydrated and drink plenty of water I can stay out in the sun all day long.
Old 07-15-20, 09:17 AM
oxman

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Wow. I am amazed at the high thresholds that many have. My limits are more pedestrian, perhaps in mid to high 20's at most. I am Canadian, for whatever that is worth here. We have had many days here in Toronto in the past three weeks where the temperature has hit 33 and 34, plus humidity making it feel even worse. I have resorted to commencing rides very early.
Old 07-15-20, 10:24 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
If 110°F or over was predicted, I don't think I'd go out. On one ride I do almost every year, it's twice been 105° at the bottom of the last pass climb at about mile 100. Those rides went fine. Almost all of that 2400' climb is in the direct sun, with a long switchback near the top next to a dark rock wall about 6' away. The last time it was that hot, they sagged about 100 riders off the course. One of those years we were on our tandem and thus really slow. Starting that last climb there was a young fit looking guy in front of us dressed all in "cool black" to his wrists and ankles. He was riding no hands, arms held straight out at his sides, barely managing our pace. He pulled over pretty soon and I assume was sagged off. Cool black is not, no matter how cool it looks.

That was one of our most memorable tandem rides, though. The last 30 miles were cooler and upwind and we were passing young guys on singles. We had a great time.
It definitely sounds like you are talking about the RAMROD ride. Yes, it can be very hot some years with the most difficult part being the ride up Cayuse Pass. You begin that climb at about 100 miles in. There is very little shade for the next 11 miles that you are climbing. I think it's closer to 2600ft of elevation gain. The air temp can easily be 95F on that climb. I was going to ride it this year but like everything else it was cancelled.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 07-16-20, 09:01 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Cycling during global warming is a thing
Old 07-16-20, 09:09 PM
CeeDotA

Bikes: 17 TCR Advanced 2, 21 Revolt Advanced 3, 16 Trinity Advanced

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I generally prefer to ride in temps no warmer than the low 90s. I can manage in hotter weather (like this last weekend's out and back, the return trip was in the high 90s/low 100s) but I can't say I enjoy that type of ride.
Old 07-16-20, 09:34 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

One time a number of years ago when I was living in Thailand I went on a bike trip through the southern area of Thailand in late May. As it was nearing the end of the summer, and beginning of the rainy season, it was quite hot and very humid. Although everyday was hot (95+) one day I rode it was very hot nearing 100. Rode 85 miles that day and was pretty dehydrated by the time I was finished. I think it's safe to say my limit is 100F in humid conditions. Not sure about what it would be if it was a "dry" heat.
Old 07-16-20, 09:44 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
I’ve never been a fan of warm weather, much easier for me to deal with sub zero than triple digits 🤣🤣 As I’ve become older I’ve unfortunately developed Diabetes which came as a shock as I’m a pretty healthy and fit guy but that’s the way things go...... Due to my need to take Metformin, I find I’m even more susceptible to heat problems than before and fell out for the first time on a group ride as the high 90 temps were killing me on a 40+
mile ride.
Not really a problem getting up earlier or traveling up into the Sierras for a cooler ride.
Old 07-16-20, 10:07 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Interesting read this thread. I have an interesting observation over the years. In the city, when it gets really hot or hot & humid very bad, you always begin to see some folks out running (jogging) or biking that you otherwise don't see around. IMO those folks do what middle ages religious flagellants did. They seek to punish their body. Often they are also badly out of shape and the really bad weather somehow makes them to stop procrastinating and start doing some fitness activities.

It is one thing if you are a bicycling pro or amateur racer or you train for triathlons to find a limit for your body and get used to punishment, but to go out in high heat otherwise only makes sense if you are curious what you can endure. I doubt it makes you overall better off, health or fitness wise.

Only problem here is, many regions in NAmericas are beset with humidity or heat and humidity, both of which punish the body. You know that body temperature is 37.1C which is some 97F or 98F, even below those temperatures, body has problems keeping the internal temperature not rising. Swimming pools water temperatures are kept much lower than body temperatures for that reason. I don't know about any swimmer training in water temp. approaching 90F or higher LOL granted water medium makes it harder for the body to dump temperature into it.

I consider myself lucky that I do my bicycling in EU where overall the weather is more forgiving, in the area I live in over there anyway. These days in Toronto area, temperatures dip quite low (two days ago down to 64F even) around 5am to 7am and by 8-9am they are well on the way up. These lower temperatures are somewhat negated by higher humidity (humidity rises inversely to temperature). I suppose riding in the early hours can be somewhat more dangerous due to sleepy drivers who are not used to seeing bicyclists out that early.

Last edited by vane171; 07-16-20 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-16-20, 10:18 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

I should add that I prefer cycling in weather between 70-90F. I rarely will ride in weather that is under 50F.
Old 07-17-20, 11:16 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
. I doubt it makes you overall better off, health or fitness wise.
Incorrect. Training in heat has similar effects as training at altitude.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2963322/
We are the first to conclusively demonstrate that heat acclimation can improve aerobic exercise performance in cool-temperate conditions. These heat acclimation benefits may be retained for 1 or 2 wk, and the rate of decay for heat acclimation will depend on many factors like fitness level of the subjects, environmental conditions where the subjects live, and intensity and duration of their training post-heat acclimation (40). Our findings are analogous to “live high and train low” concepts developed by Levine and Stray-Gundersen (22) but might require less time and logistical support. Our research and that by Levine and Stray-Gundersen (22) demonstrate that robust adaptations to environmental exposure can be leveraged to augment aerobic performance in highly trained athletes.
Anecdotally as I (used to pre-covid) ride 12mi every summer weekday in 105-120F heat I found a significant benefit in fitness that translated to longer and harder rides relative to peers who avoided heat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.