Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Getting Over Fear After Crash

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Getting Over Fear After Crash

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-20, 01:03 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Makes sense !

What doesn't make sense is the earlier comparison to riding a motorcycle. Comparing apples to oranges.
Old 08-02-20, 11:57 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The extra caution is your adaptation to the whole traumatic experience. It's not necessarily something that we have to get over, but if there is an level of confidence that you want to push through I suggest repetition, with gradually getting accustomed to slightly higher speeds.
Old 08-02-20, 03:17 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by RFEngineer
I crashed coming down a mountain road in May. I basically ran off the road during a turn and tumbled. Broke a rib and a vertebrae. For the last 3-4 years I've been doing a lot of riding up and down mountain roads, with fast descents. I've gone out a few times since my recovery, and I'm pretty timid about descending. I brake a lot so I'm not screaming down these hills, but my bike wants to go fast. Obviously, I don't want to crash again, but I'm worried I may crash because I'm trying to brake too much.

How do I get over this? I really don't want to injure myself again, but I want to enjoy cycling again.

Alan
That is normal. Just continue your previous rides and slowly your courage (or rather it may be your stupidity) will return. I can't count the number of crashes I've had. But I used to race motorcycles and learned how to fall with the minimum of injuries. That doesn't mean you can't get hurt but you're less likely to.
Old 08-02-20, 03:17 PM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by RFEngineer
I crashed coming down a mountain road in May. I basically ran off the road during a turn and tumbled. Broke a rib and a vertebrae. For the last 3-4 years I've been doing a lot of riding up and down mountain roads, with fast descents. I've gone out a few times since my recovery, and I'm pretty timid about descending. I brake a lot so I'm not screaming down these hills, but my bike wants to go fast. Obviously, I don't want to crash again, but I'm worried I may crash because I'm trying to brake too much.

How do I get over this? I really don't want to injure myself again, but I want to enjoy cycling again.

Alan
That is normal. Just continue your previous rides and slowly your courage (or rather it may be your stupidity) will return. I can't count the number of crashes I've had. But I used to race motorcycles and learned how to fall with the minimum of injuries. That doesn't mean you can't get hurt but you're less likely to.
Old 08-02-20, 03:22 PM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by big john
It takes time to come back mentally. I'm 66 and I stopped going for top speed some years ago. I was one of the guys who would tuck and let 'er rip up over 50 mph. I can still have fun at 40 mph.
I'm 75 and have stopped going all out around those blind turns because I know the proper line. There's always the chance that some dumb driver will be cutting the turn and hit you. Also the roads are getting so bad around here that you can lose control from the potholes and if I'm losing control I would just as soon it was at a speed where I could regain it before leaving the roadway.
Old 08-02-20, 03:29 PM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by smashndash
Agreed. You don’t want to learn to override your brain’s natural instinct to take it easy on the descents. I tried my absolute hardest to “unlearn” my fear of lean and kinda succeeded. It felt amazing to fly at pro pace - until I slid across the tarmac.

https://youtu.be/qBQC4trgLX0

^here’s what my crash looked like, almost exactly.

Good descenders aren’t good because they’re fearless or suicidal. They’re good because they know their limits in various conditions and can consistently get close to those limits without going past.

So you should not work to overcome your fear or to ignore it. The fear is rational. You crashed because you made a mistake. Now the process of learning your limits will begin anew.

I personally learned a lot from my crash. I now have a much better understanding of what my limits are. After recovering, I PRd by 10 seconds on a 3 minute descent I’ve done 20 times before. I promise that you will get faster as well if you’re willing to learn from your mistakes.
That photo should be entitled how to break your hands into a million pieces in one easy lesson. Mind you, that is an instinctive thing to do leftover from learning to walk. But you should only use that like Yatesy did to roll over on your shoulder and put at much of your body as possible on the road to slow you up and put the least amount of pressure on any point
Old 08-02-20, 03:35 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Best recipe I've ever found for getting "comfortable" again with a sport that has inherent risks: keep doing it, though with added precautions. In the "practice makes perfect" sense.

Have fallen only a couple times on a bike, "pushing" things (either in inclement weather, or on hills, or when lots of road impediments existed (ie, on trails). Chalked it up to being a fluke, and just backed off for awhile until I felt okay with it again.

Have done surfing, kayaking and snow skiing, as well, each at a fairy "pushy" level of difficulty and situations. Each of those is much like cycling, in the sense that a "crash" can be a fairly dangerous thing. Almost drowned kayaking, once. Fell about 20ft off a cliff skiing, one one occasion. And had countless "oops" moments surfing, when the weight of water that dropped on my head (and back) was incalculable. In each case, I've followed much the same recipe (above). Eventually, the basic precautions and increased experience equates to wisdom and improved skills ... a good combination, often yielding improved performance along with a reduction in frequency of bad "spills."

I wish there were an iron-clad way to address the psychological aspect. Time, I'd say. Time enough to learn from the mistakes, to learn about those conditions and what led to the crash, to get better sufficiently to avoid such situations in future. Sort of backing into the psychology, once proofs abound that it's safer.