Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

size question, one size too big

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 04:55 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts

what is the pros and cons of one size too big of a frame.

i am 5'7" and ride road bike with 54cm ett, and 7cm stem...hbar the same height as saddle. with this setup, i am stretched out on the hood...this is the limit of my flexibilyty....i am not young anymore and not so flexible.

will a hybrid with 58cm ett and 6cm stem be too much (see pic)?

i plan to do all-day rides and install some bar ends too...and it will be a daily commuter too.

tanks!

Last edited by mtb_addict; 08-10-20 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-10-20, 05:26 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Check stand over clearance on a 58cm frame. That may be a bit too large for 5'7". I generally recommend erring on the small side vs. the large side, because it's much easier to "make a bike larger" with stems and bars and seatposts than it is to "make a bike smaller" if it's just too big for you.
Old 08-10-20, 11:00 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The larger frame will try to stretch you out even more, with no alternative positions!
Old 08-10-20, 12:17 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Check stand over clearance on a 58cm frame. That may be a bit too large for 5'7". I generally recommend erring on the small side vs. the large side, because it's much easier to "make a bike larger" with stems and bars and seatposts than it is to "make a bike smaller" if it's just too big for you.
bike only comes in one size. the photo show the top tube is diffnitely low enough for me to straddle
safely.

The manufacturer website claims it is a 56 cm frame. But the photo above, the top tube looks very long...more than 56. i measured the photo using a ruler and the rim as reference (622 mm)...i measured and calculated it to be 58.

i guess its possible the camera distorted the bike's dimension. so i get wrong measurement. perhaps, they used a wide angle lense.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 08-10-20 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 12:24 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I would say that if you can touch the ground comfortably without the top bar into the groin you can correct the rest.

When I first started riding again after my amp, I rode bikes that are too small for me in stature to help reach the ground and access over the top bar. After riding for a while the too small was a larger problem for me than the top bar being "in my junk" a bit. IF that is the only fit issue (much of) the rest can be corrected for in various ways.
Old 08-10-20, 12:36 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Frames have traditionally been measured from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube, and that's what I was referencing with my "58 cm may be too much standover for 5'7". I see now you were referencing the effective top tube, so please disregard my earlier comment.

I measure the effective top tube in the picture as 85% of the rear tire's overall diameter (which should be about 69 cm). That's about 58.5 to 59.5 cm (depending on the actual overall diameter of the rear tire), which is in the ballpark of 58 cm. I agree that it's more than a 56 cm. It might be worth it to ask the manufacturer for a geometry chart for this bike. Even though it's apparently offered in only one size, they should be able to tell you the basic dimensions.

Edit: going back to just rim diameter (622mm), I measure the effective top tube as 94% of that, or 58.3 cm. Again, I agree the picture does seem to represent a 58 cm effective top tube.
Old 09-07-20, 09:56 AM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
i'm 5 10" and ride a large. 20-21" seat tube. i'm cramped like crazy on most mediums.

3 inches of height can be a lot or a little depending on where it's coming from, but 22" seems wild for 5 7"
Old 09-25-20, 10:15 AM
yo vanilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am 5'7" as well, guestimating by comparing that to my Cannondale Quick specs it could be do-able... But people are build different ways, your legs could be longer / torso shorter or vice-versa. Couple specs from my bike are:

ETT 573mm
Stand over 731mm
Seat tube 450

There's lots more measurements of course. I have a 90mm stem, 30mm riser bars. I fit well enough on it but personally feel like any bigger would be a poor fit.