Go Back  Bike Forums > The Market Place > For Sale
Reload this Page >

Rare and Beautiful- 1973 Ellis-Briggs Road Bike, Reynolds 531, Italian components

Notices
For Sale Items for sale, bicycle and cycling related items only, please! Requires upgraded Membership to post new threads. This forum is intended for individual members to sell their bikes and bike related gear, and not for commercial ventures or company sales. Prices must be quoted up front, we are not an auction site, and do not link to your ebay auctions.

Rare and Beautiful- 1973 Ellis-Briggs Road Bike, Reynolds 531, Italian components

Old 08-15-20, 10:07 AM
chaslewis 

Bikes: 1973 Ellis-Briggs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I’m selling my prized 1973 Ellis-Briggs English road bike that I bought new in Portland for $150 (a fortune for me at the time) in 1974 (yeah, I’m too old for road riding – that’s why I’m selling this bike). This is a one-owner, one-rider bike that has never been crashed or laid down. It’s extremely lightweight. Paint is still gorgeous. This is one of the last frames made by legendary frame maker Jack Briggs (he retired in 1974.
4). E-B only made about 50 of their ultra top-end bikes a year, unlike their ‘commercial’ brand Favori. There may be a few in the USA but I’ve never seen another one. The last one I saw for sale was ten years ago, in England. That’s how rare they are. E-B is considered to be in the absolute top of classic English framemaking.

The price? $1495 (paypal or equivalent only). The bike will be shipped in a Team Performance hard-shell bike case.

The 25-inch (63 cm) frame fits larger folks (5’10” (177cm) or taller, I’m 6 feet) and is the double-butted Reynolds 531 English ‘road’ design, with forged sloping crown. The more relaxed geometry and the inherently shock-absorbing 531 tubing make for incredibly smooth riding.

In Chuck’s Bikes website (Chuck's Bikes), which shows the author’s dozens of high-end bikes, he has this to say: “My 1974 Ellis-Briggs was my first quality frame, and is still one of the best balance of handling and comfort of any bike I've ever had. I've probably put between 30 and 40K miles on it.”

Some features:

*Campy nuevo record rear derailleur, shifters and bottom bracket

*Brand new (old stock) Campy Triumphe crankset (19802, classic 52/40) and new chain. (Full bike photo shows older crankset.)

*Cinelli “Giro D’Italia” stem and bars

*Galli sidepull brakes (Italian Campy knock-off) with new Koolstop pads

*French Ideale leather seat and Italian seatpost

*Wheelsmith early-2000s wheels with Specialized sealed hubs and top-end rims and spokes (bought at Palo Alto Bikes). They probably have a few hundred miles on them, is all.

I’m in Montana, so the buyer will have to pay shipping.

Likes For chaslewis:
Old 08-19-20, 10:08 AM
slporten

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh International 1972 Falcon San remo 1976 Garlatti 1978 Falcon Sen Remo 1983 Angelo Boeris 1989 Vitus 979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
What happened to the cranks in the first pic? They appeared to be original and correct.
Old 08-19-20, 01:14 PM
chaslewis 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ellis Briggs original crankset?

What happened to the cranks in the first pic? They appeared to be original and correct.[/QUOTE]

Hello! The Stronglight Competition crankset was the one I used throughout the first, ummm, let's see: 46 years of my ownership. Eventually it got metal fatigue and would flex badly against the front derailleur when I stood on the pedals hard. Got worse and worse over the years so I got just the NOS Campy crankset, and man is it smooth and strong.
Old 08-20-20, 08:39 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Please post this beauty over on the

Classic and Vintage Sales

if nothing else the guys will love seeing it.
Old 10-30-20, 06:28 PM
Maxtoon 

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is this bike still available?
Old 10-31-20, 08:14 AM
chaslewis 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxtoon
Is this bike still available?
Hi, thanks for your interest. Yes, the bike is still living in my spare room, enjoying the warmth!
Regards, Charlie Lewis.
Old 11-08-20, 12:14 AM
czp_23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike.. Good luck with the sale..
Old 01-08-21, 02:11 PM
earnyourbeer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Beauty
Old 08-29-21, 11:53 AM
betterthedevil

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
Interested to know what the frame number is for this bike. They were generally stamped on the underside where the bottom bracket is fitted
Old 08-31-21, 08:54 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by betterthedevil
Hi
Interested to know what the frame number is for this bike.
To get the attention of someone like @chaslewis, either quote or tag them. The quote is easier and more dependable.