Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake reach extension?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake reach extension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 10:31 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Brake reach extension?

Greetings all

In an effort to restore my Bianchi to (what I believe?) was its original form, I removed a set of Shimano brakes and replaced them with Campagnolo Mirage only to then discover that the rear brake is a short reach, I need long.
Ive seen mention of extension devices that allow a short reach brake to be used as a long but I can’t find where I can buy one.

Help !
Old 08-24-20, 11:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Drop bolt is what you are looking for. There are easy home made options. But as inexpensive as brakes can be, why not get some modern double pivot brakes of the correct reach that will stop much better than the old single pivots.

Or are your old bikes not that old? Even if, new brakes are not that much, IMO.
Old 08-24-20, 05:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Drop Bolts were made for the old Campag Single pivots..
Old 08-24-20, 05:53 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Tektro makes some long reach brakes, if that's what you need.
Old 08-24-20, 06:25 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I've used these. Don't know if OK W/Campy

https://bdopcycling.com/product/bdop...rs-set-silver/
Old 08-24-20, 08:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
There have been drop pads offered in the recent past. Basically a brake pad with an offset mounting bolt. Of course the cleanest solution is a caliper with the proper reach. One reason is that the correct caliper also has , besides the right reach, the correct leverage for it's reach. Andy
Old 08-25-20, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Greetings all

In an effort to restore my Bianchi to (what I believe?) was its original form, I removed a set of Shimano brakes and replaced them with Campagnolo Mirage only to then discover that the rear brake is a short reach, I need long.
Ive seen mention of extension devices that allow a short reach brake to be used as a long but I can’t find where I can buy one.

Help !
USA, Bianchi uSA, has long used contract manufacturing on the Pacific Rim. so you took off the original Shimano ,
because you thought the brand name made it Italian built with Italian components.. when it was not.
Put the Shimano brakes back on it, & go ride the bike as it was ..

the dropboIt I mentioned above was for older bikes originally fitted with Universal [brand's] side pulls (Old Italian company)
their pair was longer reach rear, shorter on the fork, Had a set on an old bike (that was stolen)

Campag has 2 different reach brakes in their 70's catalog , but none as long as Universal's rears were
and framebuilds back then had a brake bridge up there, made around those calipers reach..