Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best Touch-Up Paint?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Best Touch-Up Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-20, 01:09 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Best Touch-Up Paint?

I am in the process of over-hauling my touring bike, and after years of all-weather riding, a few falls, and the other usual abuses, there are some minor chips in the paint. I don't want to let the steel frame rust too much, so I'd like to bust the rust and then paint over the bare areas with some touch-up paint.

I'm not going to strip down the frame and rattle-can it or do anything else that silly to this bike. I am just looking for touch-up paint that will work well on a steel bike frame. I'm not even concerned about the color, I just want something that is easy to apply and will be durable. Any good product recommendations?
Old 09-10-20, 01:14 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Fingernail polish. It comes in many different colors and has a handy applicator. Most stores will not object to you bringing your bike in to check the color match, although you should verify under sunlight as artificial light can be deceiving.
Old 09-10-20, 01:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Auto parts stores have touch up paint in all sorts of colors. I've seen some other's talk about using nail polish as it comes in every imaginable color. Not sure about the UV resistance of it, but might not matter much if you don't leave your bike in the sun every day of the month.

If you aren't really worried much about looks, just deal with the rust, prime it with a zinc or red oxide primer and be done.
Old 09-10-20, 01:25 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Auto parts stores have touch up paint in all sorts of colors. I've seen some other's talk about using nail polish as it comes in every imaginable color. Not sure about the UV resistance of it, but might not matter much if you don't leave your bike in the sun every day of the month.

If you aren't really worried much about looks, just deal with the rust, prime it with a zinc or red oxide primer and be done.
I like the idea of putting down some Zn-rich primer first. I used to work for a coatings company and that was pretty common for painting steel, now that I think about it. I'll probably just shop around for automotive primer + refinish topcoat solution. I agree that nail polish is probably not the best solution for a bike frame, and I would expect it to wear off long before a proper paint does. Thanks!
Old 09-10-20, 02:08 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Auto touch up paint should work great. You should be able to find something pretty close and you can get those things that look like a big pen that have the paint and a clear coat in one container.
Old 09-11-20, 07:02 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
^ THIS ^ and when I have tried it due to a perfect "teal" color and thinned and laid it on in many coats to get it smooth it faded in a couple years and needed to be completely redone.
Old 09-11-20, 07:06 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Go to your local flea market, find the guy that is selling cosmetics, look in his fingernail polish rack. You'll find a color you like for a few bucks. It can also be used to paint accents on your bike.
Old 09-11-20, 09:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
If you only have a scratch or a small chip, the best place to go is a hobby store that sell small bottles of paint for model cars and planes. Very inexpensive.
Old 09-11-20, 09:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Well I didn't mean to imply that nail polish wasn't a good touch up paint. Just mentioning that I didn't know how UV resistant it was. Model paints might be good too as another just posted.

I'm sure all are different, but some nail polishes my wife uses seem to have many of the same easy and forgiving characteristics that old fashioned nitro-cellulose paints from way back when used to have. And if you top coat with a clear automotive or other clear for outdoor use, maybe just as good as anything else.
Old 09-13-20, 04:15 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Re nail polish. About 25+ years ago I had some little dings and paint rubbed off a few places of my touring bike, put some clear nail polish on them and it's still doing fine, no rust ever appeared.
Sure, the bike doesn't sit outside, but the stuff has held up fine.
I still have the little bottle in one my parts and bike stuff boxes.
Old 09-13-20, 04:31 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I just dealt with paint issues on a 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper I'm rebuilding. The frame is sound but it was roughly handled and missing paint in a lot of areas. I got rid of the rust, painted over the bare patches with flat white rustoleum, and then found a model paint that was close enough. The bike doesn't look bad.

Old 09-13-20, 06:37 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
+1 for fingernail polish.
Old 09-13-20, 07:10 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I just dealt with paint issues on a 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper I'm rebuilding. The frame is sound but it was roughly handled and missing paint in a lot of areas. I got rid of the rust, painted over the bare patches with flat white rustoleum, and then found a model paint that was close enough. The bike doesn't look bad.

Err, maybe it is the lighting but that looks a little rough. Maybe another coat of yellow?
Old 09-13-20, 07:18 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by vespasianus
Err, maybe it is the lighting but that looks a little rough. Maybe another coat of yellow?
I kind of like it a bit rough since I'm building a drop bar gravel bike from this vintage MTB with 3 x 7 gearing and bar end shifters. My point was not that this was a great touch up job (it's not) but a quality primer and model paint can make for a fairly resilient touch up that doesn't look terrible.

I may try to mix that model paint eventually to try to find a better match but there is no way this will ever look "right" given how much paint the bike lost.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 09-13-20, 08:50 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I may try to mix that model paint eventually to try to find a better match but there is no way this will ever look "right" given how much paint the bike lost.
Yeah, don't waste your time trying to make it look any better. Nearly impossible for even the pro painters to make it perfect. You accomplished your goal of preventing rust so just ride it and enjoy. Consider the dings badges of honor as an experienced tourer.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-13-20, 10:01 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Yeah, don't waste your time trying to make it look any better. Nearly impossible for even the pro painters to make it perfect. You accomplished your goal of preventing rust so just ride it and enjoy. Consider the dings badges of honor as an experienced tourer.
Oh yeah. I like to think this is just the right look for a gravel/mtb drop bar bike.
Old 09-13-20, 10:20 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I always think of the old Testor's brand paints, though they don't get mention much. They seemingly also make enamel paint pens, which strikes me as probably about the easiest thing one could use for small touch up areas.
Old 09-13-20, 12:52 PM
xKate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gjjj
Old 09-13-20, 12:56 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
clearly kate put the most thought into this topic, thanks love.