Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fuji Serial Number Database

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-11-07, 04:55 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts

One the major brands that is woefully lacking in available reference material is Fuji. My aim is to create a database of Fuji models, their specs and serial numbers, in the hope of decoding the serial numbers to provide a more accurate method of dating them. Secondary rewards would be a timeline of models. Last year, I performed a similar and quite successful exercise for Centurion. Hopefully, the same will happen with Fuji.

To this end, it would be appreciated if Fuji owners would submit posts with pics and specs of their Fuji. A full, drive side view is the preferred pic. Requested info is model, year (if known), frame material and make, model and date codes of major components. For component date code format, location and decypher, refer to https://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm .

Thank-you in advance for your contributions. Where possible, I will answer questions as they arise. General developments in the database will be reported in this post (ie post #1 ) below:.

FUJI Catalog Numbers and resources:

Fuji catalog numbers decoded. #1 = 1971. #2 = 1972, #3 = 1973, etc. See post #2 0 for details.

Known Fuji catalogs on internet:

# 6 (1976) - https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Fuji-76/

# 7 (1977, partial) - https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Jap...uji75specs.htm

#1 0 (1980, specs only) - attached to post #1 8

#2 0 (1990) - https://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/fuji/fujipage.htm

SERIAL NUMBERS 1971-1974*:

Serial number format WXYZZZZZ where;

W = a letter, all cases to date being F, K or M, with F presumibly indicating Fuji.
X = a number, indicating the last digit of the Japanese Imperial calendar year, Showa reign (6 = Showa 46 = 1971, 7 = Showa 47 = 1972, etc.)
Y = a letter, indicating the calendar month of manufacturer (A = January, B = February, C = March, etc.)
ZZZZZ = four or five digit number sequence, probably indicating frame number during month

Example: F7C10256 indicates the 10,256th frame manufactured during March 1972.

* The serial number format may extend beyond 1971-1974, in either direction, but to date, data samples lie within this range.

SERIAL NUMBERS 1976-1978*:

Serial number format YYXZZZZZ where:

YY = two numbers indicating the year of production
X = a letter, indicating the calendar month of manufacturer (A = January, B = February, C = March, etc)
ZZZZZ = a five digit number sequence, probably indicating frame number during month

Example: 77B13425 indicates the 14.425th frame manufactured during February 1977.

* The serial number format may extend beyond 1976-1978, in either direction, but to date, data samples lie within this range.

SERIAL NUMBERS 1980-1987*:

Serial number format WXYZZZZZ where;

W = a letter, presumibly indicating a Fuji facility or contractor. To date, samples have included F, I , J, K & S.
X = a letter, indicating the calendar month of manufacturer (A = January, B = February, C = March, etc)
Y = a number, indicating the last digit of the calendar year of manufacture (0 = 1980, 1 = 1981, 2 = 1982, etc.)
ZZZZZ = a five digit number sequence, probably indicating frame number during month

Example: FB125349 indicates the 25,349th frame manufactured during February 1981.

*The serial number format may extend beyond 1980-1987, in either direction, but to date, data samples lie within this range.

SPECIAL SERIAL NUMBERS 1984-1985*:

Serial number format XYZZZ where;

Y = a number, indicating the last digit of the calendar year of manufacture (i.e. 5 = 1985)
ZZZ = a two or three number sequence, probably indicating frame number during month

Example: B514 indicates the 14th frame manufactured during February 1985.

This format is found on high end models offered under the Fuji design Series and Fuji Signature Series labels. Based on the unique format and serial number, they appear to be low volume, hand-built models.

*The serial number format may extend beyond 1984-1985, in either direction, but to date, data samples lie within this range.

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-16-20 at 11:10 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-12-07, 07:22 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
First, "Thank You" T-Mar for initiating this database.

I found this Fuji Espree along with a larger version of the same bike on CL. The original owner said he purchased it for his wife, but she never rode it. Based on its condition, I think he's correct. Additionally, he must have stored it in ideal conditions because the original tires are in very good condition and there is little or no rust. Unfortunately, its a 47cm frame, too small for me.
Based on date coding of the derailers this is a 1985 bike. The rear derailer has a "BD" date code, the front is dated AE. I originally thought it was an '84 bike, but if the derailers are original, its an '85. The Serial Number is FC513234.
The derailers are Suntour ARX, the shifters are Suntour on downtube braze-on mounts. The rims are "UKAI" and are stamped 27 X 1 1/8. The bars are alloy Nitto Olympiade and the stem is Nitto. The cranks are Sugino GP. The brakes are Dia Compe with a release lever. The frame is quad butted, Valite tubing. Its a really nice bike except the brake levers are low end, turkey winged Dia Compe with no hoods. I'm not sure where the Espree fit in the Fuji line-up, I'm guessing somewhere around the middle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuji Espree 84 001.jpg (50.8 KB, 1138 views)
Fuji Espree 84 002.jpg (48.4 KB, 1029 views)
Fuji Espree 84 003.jpg (37.1 KB, 1048 views)
Fuji Espree 84 004.jpg (46.9 KB, 1023 views)

Last edited by roccobike; 09-13-07 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-12-07, 10:07 PM
raverson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
A second "thank you, T-Mar" for starting this Fuji database.

My contribution is a garage sale find from last month. A Fuji Royale II touring bike with Valite tubing. Serial # FJ2112421. Fuji/Suntour Vx RD is stamped WK = 11/80, Fuji/Sugino crank is A-2 = 2/81, Dia Compe G brake calipers are 0681 = 6/81. Nitto bar/stem and Ukai 27 x 11/8 rims.
Attached Images
Fuji Royale II 002 (Small).jpg (71.1 KB, 1095 views)
Fuji Royale II 003 (Small).jpg (77.9 KB, 1013 views)

Last edited by raverson; 09-12-07 at 10:21 PM. Reason: edit info
Old 09-13-07, 06:11 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts

Fuji Sunfire ATB.
4130 frame, serial # IF3I0887.
Bike is a dump find project bike; I suspect that the only original comps are the Shimano GS 200 cantis.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-13-07, 10:01 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Originally Posted by raverson
A second "thank you, T-Mar" for starting this Fuji database.

My contribution is a garage sale find from last month. A Fuji Royale II touring bike with Valite tubing. Serial # FJ2112421. Fuji/Suntour Vx RD is stamped WK = 11/80, Fuji/Sugino crank is A-2 = 2/81, Dia Compe G brake calipers are 0681 = 6/81. Nitto bar/stem and Ukai 27 x 11/8 rims.
Oh yeah, I like that crank!
Old 09-15-07, 08:35 PM
AnthonyPaige

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my Fuji Espree, currently serving as an occasional grocery getter.
Serial No. - FE400950
Fuji VALite Triple Butted Tubing
Sugino GT 170mm crankset - date code GC
Suntour ARX derailleurs - date code LH
Suntour "Power" shifters, mounted on downtube with clamp
Dia Compe brakes and levers
Ukai 27" rims
Nitto stem and Nitto Olympiade bars
Sunshine hubs and skewers - date code on hubs 5345 (this doesn't jive with the information given at the date code link listed above)

I got this bike before I really knew much about cycling, and the frame's too big for me (it's a 62, and I'm 6'0"). I'm planning on finding a project bike in the next month or so, and I'll likely sell the Fuji once I have another secondary bike. And if anyone was wondering, that's an old tennis ball basket attached to the rear rack. And yes, duct tape on the seat.
Attached Images
DCP050724.jpg (85.2 KB, 1080 views)
Old 09-15-07, 11:42 PM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
In the spring of 1985, I purchased a new Club Fuji with Valite 1769 Quad-butted tubing. The color was red with yellow head tube w/ Fuji forged dropouts. I still have the frame and fork(Ishiwata tubing, with chromed crown), but it's sitting unassembled in my bike room. The following components were originally on the bike when new:

Crank: Sugino GLP 52/42, 175mm
Bottom Bracket: Fuji (rebadged Sugino?)
Pedals: Suntour Cyclone w/ Christophe clips and straps
Derailleurs: Suntour Cyclone*date codes AJ(October '84)
Shifters: Suntour Cyclone (friction)
Brakes: Dia Compe GX400*date code 0784(July '84)
Rims: Ukai 700x25 alloy (presta valve)
Hubs: Suntour Lepree (sealed bearing) 36 hole
Saddle: Fujita Supersoft
Seatpost: Sugino
Headset: Hatta Vesta(JIS)
Stem: Nitto
Bars: Nitto Olympiade 41cm
Chain: Suntour
Freewheel: Suntour Pro Compe 13/26, 6-speed, standard spaced*date code AE(May '84)

Serial number looks like KJ402323
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles

Last edited by LittleGinseng; 09-16-07 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-16-07, 06:49 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Originally Posted by LittleGinseng
In the spring of 1985, I purchased a new Club Fuji with Valite 1769 Quad-butted tubing. The color was red with yellow head tube w/ Fuji forged dropouts. I still have the frame and fork(Ishiwata tubing, with chromed crown), but it's sitting unassembled in my bike room.....
LittleGinseng, Please post a picture of the frame. I'm curious to see what the 85 Club frame looked like.
Thanks,
Old 09-16-07, 10:07 AM
kramnnim

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an old, rusty Fuji Team that I got years ago with many of the parts missing... It's an muddy brown color, double butted cromo "331" tubing... Suntour dropouts. Serial is hard to make out, appears to KJ10142, I'm probably missing a digit at the end...? Fork crown is chromed, it has "FUJI" engraved (?) into it...as does the lower head tube lug.

Headset- Tange Falcon (chromed steel)
Brakes- Dia-Compe 500 (?) 0881 date stamp
Rims- Ukai 700x25c, gold anodized color
Hubs- Sunshine Gyromaste 8 81 stamp
Stem- Nitto Young
Handlebars- Nitto Olympiade 39 cm (kind of narrow for the frame size...)
Old 09-16-07, 07:00 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
My Fuji Supremes:

Bike A:
S/N = SF248676
Brake date codes = Feb '82
Lever date codes = June '82
Tubing = VALite butted 414
FD = Fuji-badged SunTour date-coded Feb '81
RD = SunTour 7-GT
Shifters = SunTour friction

Bike B:
S/N = KH203282
Brake date codes = June '82
Lever date codes = July '82
Tubing = VALite double butted 212
FD = SunTour AR? date-coded March '82
Shifters = SunTour power friction w/ratchet
RD = SunTour AR?

Detail pictures on this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...t=fuji+supreme

Last edited by reverborama; 09-17-07 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-17-07, 12:13 PM
T-Mar

Thank-you to everybody for participating. To date I have 20 sets of data based on your input and some searching through the archives. Thirteen of those cover the early 1980s. I will try and sit down to do some analysis over the next couple of days.
Old 09-17-07, 12:30 PM
yamamori

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, T-Mar. I have a Fuji, model Special Road Racer, which I understand was purchased new in October, 1974. The frame is painted blue and seems to be made of straight-gauge, high-tensile steel, probably by Ishiwata. It bears the serial number F8H15165. The components are the usual JEX group, lower end. I can list them, if you wish; but that may be more information than you want. This bike may be too old and low-performance for your research. Best wishes. -Yamamori
Old 09-17-07, 01:11 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by yamamori
Hello, T-Mar. I have a Fuji, model Special Road Racer, which I understand was purchased new in October, 1974. The frame is painted blue and seems to be made of straight-gauge, high-tensile steel, probably by Ishiwata. It bears the serial number F8H15165. The components are the usual JEX group, lower end. I can list them, if you wish; but that may be more information than you want. This bike may be too old and low-performance for your research. Best wishes. -Yamamori
Nonsense! As far as I lnow, Fuji did not differentiate the serial number system based on the level of bicycle. Age maybe, as the format is different than what I have so far. But that, in itself, is very important if I can track down the cutoff date.

However, I've seen similar formats before and I'm guessing it is actually late 1970s. Are you the original owner? Or were you just told that was the model year? To help establish the year, I would appreciate the list of components and their date codes. A picture would also be helpful. TIA for your contribution.
Old 09-17-07, 02:00 PM
yamamori

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good day, again, T-Mar. On the bike which I mentioned earlier, the front derailleur is Sun Tour Spirt, Maeda Industries, Ltd., 4532. The rear is SUNTOUR GT, also 4532. Before the number on each of these derailleurs is a symbol, which I do not recognize as a kanji: a circle with a jagged line, vaguely vertical. The cranks are Sugino Maxy forged 171 with chain rings using three bolts, rather than five. Pedals are Mikashima #11; freewheel cluster (5), Maeda; pump (with brazed-on pegs), Primus; brakes, center-pull Dia-Compe; rims, steel Ukai 27 1/4; hubs, Sunshine; stem, Nitto forged; handlebars, Nitto Olympiade 115; saddle, Belt by Fujita; seatpost, uncertain. I'll try to learn more about the date of sale, but actually I was hoping that you could verify the date for me. I'm not able to send a photo, since I've never gone digital. Good luck with your project.
Old 09-17-07, 02:02 PM
BlankCrows
Avenir Equipped

Bikes: Chesini X-Uno, etc.....

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a Fuji Royale frame the other day. Had a few parts still on it including a Fuji crank made by Sugino. Bike SN FD014069. Kind of a light brown or goldish color. Tubing sticker on it looks like the one in reverborama's avatar above. (reverb, which bike is that tubing sticker from?)

Last edited by BlankCrows; 09-17-07 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-17-07, 08:00 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
My icon is from a Fuji Royale -- it says "Fuji Chrome Molybdenum Steel Tubing 441" Some say "VaLite, "others say "Hi-Tensile." All the bikes had them to show what they were made out of.

Here's the info on my Royale -- you might have gleaned it from the forum already:
S/N JL007977

Came as a frame and fork only, I'm afraid.
Old 09-18-07, 07:27 AM
T-Mar

People, one of the problems with Fuji is the lack of catalogs availabl for reference (though I'm sure they are out there somewhere). Consequently there are precious few visual or spec references. Therefore serial numbers or component models by themselves are of little value. I really need component codes to establish a time guideline for decoding the frame serial numbers.

To this end, Yamamori could you please provide the component date codes. BlankCrows, could you do the same if you run into that bicycle again? Thxs. For the format location and decyphering of the component codes, please refer to https://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm .
Old 09-18-07, 07:59 AM
Danddd
Boffo Bikin'

Bikes: '04 Litespeed Classic 9sp Dura-ace, '03 Specialized Sequoia(for the gravel trails around DuPage Cty), '75 Fuji Finest (deep navy w/mixed components), '94 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I salute you T-Mar for doing this. I tried to find information via searching the web a couple of years ago. I have a mid 70's Fuji Finest I bought in 1976. I've 'Rivendellized' it to a certain extent. One good link I found is this for mid 70's https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Japan/Fuji.htm

Here are some specs I scanned in from Fuji No. 10 Edition catalog I have from I want to say 1978.

Let me know if you want me to send you higher resolution jpegs.
Attached Images
Fuji 70's 1-2 .jpg (40.3 KB, 1152 views)
Fuji 70's 2-2.jpg (38.2 KB, 1052 views)

Last edited by Danddd; 09-18-07 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-18-07, 09:15 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Danddd
I salute you T-Mar for doing this. I tried to find information via searching the web a couple of years ago. I have a mid 70's Fuji Finest I bought in 1976. I've 'Rivendellized' it to a certain extent. One good link I found is this for mid 70's https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Japan/Fuji.htm

Here are some specs I scanned in from Fuji No. 10 Edition catalog I have from I want to say 1978.

Let me know if you want me to send you higher resolution jpegs.

Wow, that's a great contiribution, though it is a bit hard to read. From what I can see, the Professional appears to have 7 speed freewheel. SunTour didn't introduce the Ultra-7 until 1979, so presumibly the catalog is not a 1978. Also, in 1981 SunTour made large changes to the derailleur lineup and I don't see any of them listed, so the catalog should be 1979 or 1980.

But what I really want is the serial number and component date codes from your Finest. How about it?

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-18-07 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-18-07, 09:42 AM
T-Mar

Dandd, I've just been able to deduce that your catalog is for 1980. The #7 catalog on Classic Rendezvous indicates Vx derailleurs which were introduced in 1977, therefore that is the oldest it can be. If #7 equals 1977, then #8 = 1978, #9 = 1979 and #10 = 1980. We know yours is 1979 or 1980 based on the combination of derailleurs and 7 speed freewheel listed. Your catalog can't be 1979 as that would make #7 from 1976, which is prior to the mentioned Vx derailleurs.

Now we can correlate the catalog numbers's to model years. #1 is 1971, #2 is 1972, etc. That makes the Classic Rendevous catalog #7 a 1977, Dandd's #10 a 1980 and the #20 on https://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/fuji/fujipage.htm should be from 1990.

I've edited post #1 to add the list of the known Fuji catalogs on the internet. That way you guys won't have to search the entire thread.

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-18-07 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-18-07, 11:01 AM
Danddd
Boffo Bikin'

Bikes: '04 Litespeed Classic 9sp Dura-ace, '03 Specialized Sequoia(for the gravel trails around DuPage Cty), '75 Fuji Finest (deep navy w/mixed components), '94 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow that's great T-Mar!

So I pulled some numbers that I have for the Fuji Finest.

S/N F7C00196
Frame: Not sure of the year and no markings, just dbl butted chrome moly. The bike is a very dark navy blue and is entirely chromed.
Crank: Sugino Mighty Competition 171 52/44 date code 47-4 (seems 1972)
R-Der. Suntour V date code OG (1972)
Handlebars: Nitto Universidade 105
Hndlbar stem: Nitto Dynamic forged
Brakes: Dia-Compe center pulls- shows 610 on the caliper
Rims: originally Ukai for tubular tires
Dropouts: Suntour
Shifters: Suntour barcons

Last edited by Danddd; 09-18-07 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-18-07, 01:17 PM
yamamori

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, T-Mar. I am responding to your request for date codes on the Fuji Special Road Racer which I had mentioned previously. I have now viewed the Vintage-Trek site. Inside the left Sugino Maxy crank arm I find "forged 171 48-3." This indicates manufacture on March, 1973. On the back side of the front derailleur I see the letters "PD." These suggest that it was made on April, 1973. I've not yet been able to find other codes. I may have to do some disassembly, when I get time. However, considering that this was the period when Japanese bikes were selling rapidly, spending little time in warehouses or on shop floors, the bike itself may be a 1973. Again, best wishes for your efforts. -Yamamori, jitenshasuki
Old 09-18-07, 01:30 PM
bnr40

Bikes: '91 Club Fuji, '83 Fuji Touring Series IV, '85 Fuji Touring Series IV & V, GT Zaskar Mtn., Fuji Espree, Fuji Opus III, Richard Sachs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Danddd: Could that first number after the '7' on your Finest possibly be a D or G ? Thanks
Old 09-18-07, 02:08 PM
Danddd
Boffo Bikin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bnr40
Danddd: Could that first number after the '7' on your Finest possibly be a D or G ? Thanks
Thanks for asking. I put it on the Park stand and finally eyeballed it more closely. It is F7C00196. I have corrected it in my earlier post.
Old 09-18-07, 06:40 PM
bnr40

Bikes: '91 Club Fuji, '83 Fuji Touring Series IV, '85 Fuji Touring Series IV & V, GT Zaskar Mtn., Fuji Espree, Fuji Opus III, Richard Sachs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the clarifiction. That would make it a March 1972 Build and 1972 model.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.