Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Passing Etiquette

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cyclist Passing Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-20, 09:44 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels

How would You pass this?
Just announce passing on your left, and smile and wave.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-04-20, 10:16 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels

How would You pass this?
You missed this:
Originally Posted by GlennR
You know why cows have bells around their neck.............

... because their horns don't work.
Old 10-04-20, 02:45 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's all about personal preference...I personally dislike any form of music when riding a bike, it doesn't matter if it's ear buds or an external speaker or what not...I find music to be annoying and distracting when riding a bike. It takes all the fun out of a ride.
^This is a totally legitimate position and I am aware that some folks feel this way, which is why I try to play my music at a "considerate" volume. When I approach another rider to pass I usually turn the music down until I'm well past them. If I don't turn the music down it's because I'm passing quickly and the other rider will only be momentarily inconvenienced (if at all).

Originally Posted by wphamilton
The whole disturbance of serenity thing, which I have some sympathy for. We'd all prefer to hear our own music, which we'd be playing ourselves if we wanted to hear any. It's only a momentary annoyance though, so no big deal. Go ahead and play it, but understand that you're always going to be annoying people with your perceived rudeness.

Cyclists playing political broadcasts are more irritating. Although objectively I realize that they're only thinking of themselves (especially given the typical nature of the broadcasts), there is always an emotional response presuming that they think other people (me) "need to hear it" and it's insulting.
^This is also a reasonable position to take, and I too like portions of my ride to be serene and undisturbed by "human" noises. However, to say that I'm "always going to be annoying people" by playing music at reasonable volume is going a bit far. I really do try to be considerate of others around me. Most people dig music and some of them ride bikes! You can do both safely and responsibly.
Old 10-04-20, 04:39 PM
IGH_Only

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I'm guessing there are plenty of people who would bike less if they couldn't listen to music while doing it. Especially in light of the fact that you eventually wind up riding the same streets and trails that you've done tons of times. Personally, I have no problem with people playing their music even without an earpiece. For those that have to pass by them, or be passed, I mean how long are you even going to be near them anyway but a handful of seconds?
Likes For IGH_Only:
Old 10-04-20, 04:56 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by IGH_Only
I'm guessing there are plenty of people who would bike less if they couldn't listen to music while doing it. Especially in light of the fact that you eventually wind up riding the same streets and trails that you've done tons of times. Personally, I have no problem with people playing their music even without an earpiece. For those that have to pass by them, or be passed, I mean how long are you even going to be near them anyway but a handful of seconds?
It shatters your oneness with nature.

I dislike it but then again we all need to share.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-05-20, 10:55 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycletography
I'm not really sure why some cyclists dislike external speakers (even when played at volumes that do not compromise safety). Perhaps Reflector Guy can shed some light on this "Puritanical" opinion. My working hypothesis is that some cyclists are just stuck in their ways and are pretty closed-minded to anything that does not conform to their rigid expectations of what other people are supposed to be doing (or not doing) on their bikes. Perhaps you should get a bell or a horn so you can properly announce. Via your own acknowledgement, my ability to hear you (or not) has more to do with you than my music. Don't blame me for your problem.
Sure, I'd be glad to. I find that most (IE, the vast majority) of cyclists who have music playing can't hear the guy coming up behind them unless the guy coming up from behind shouts. You know, SHOUTS. Perhaps you are the one exception who has superhuman hearing who can hear everything. If not, don't blame the rest of us for your problem. You're the guy complaining about other riders who don't announce.... Maybe they ARE, but you can't hear them. Sort of like the old man who thinks everyone talking to him has suddenly started mumbling.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-05-20, 11:30 AM
olddcarnutjag

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tourist on their first ride

I worked at a resort with a bike shop, with all sorts of rentals
They rent Roubaixs for the Ironman.
they rent a lot of “beach cruisers”
they don’t have bells on thier rentals.
Tourist ride on the sidewalk, ride on the crosswalk, don’t use the bike lane, etc.
Wearing a real Jersey on a real bike makes you a target to pass.
A young female training for the Lavaman, in her club length shorts can feel the eyes looking at her rear.
Hawaii is not Copenhagen. Covid has brought out an Army of Newbies.
Old 10-05-20, 11:35 AM
adamsusa

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me tell you, this is a REAL problem. Just last week my wife crashed due to a "silent" cyclist passing attempt. I was behind her and saw the whole thing happened -scary. And yes, I say attempt because he ran into my wife who was startled by his sudden presence and ended in a pile up of both of them. Later the cyclist jokingly said maybe I should send your wife the bill for my bike repair (new tire, carbon fiber water bottle) - of course I had to say, maybe you should learn to call out before passing cyclist. He was silent after that.
Old 10-05-20, 11:38 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by adamsusa
Let me tell you, this is a REAL problem. Just last week my wife crashed due to a "silent" cyclist passing attempt. I was behind her and saw the whole thing happened -scary. And yes, I say attempt because he ran into my wife who was startled by his sudden presence and ended in a pile up of both of them. Later the cyclist jokingly said maybe I should send your wife the bill for my bike repair (new tire, carbon fiber water bottle) - of course I had to say, maybe you should learn to call out before passing cyclist. He was silent after that.
I always look to my left before passing... just like in a car when you change lanes.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-05-20, 12:07 PM
LeftyS7

Bikes: Giant Explore E-2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Or nod, or smile.
Likes For LeftyS7:
Old 10-05-20, 12:12 PM
LeftyS7

Bikes: Giant Explore E-2

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Lots of older riders just stare ahead.
Likes For LeftyS7:
Old 10-05-20, 12:17 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by adamsusa
Someone went somewhere they weren't expected to be. Given that the person passing had a good view of your wife all the way up until passing, and your wife only saw them at the last minute, I know where i'd place my bet.

Others have said it before and it bears truth in my neck of the woods: Saying "on your left" makes half the riders/walkers move left. Ringing a bell startles people and again you get a 50-50 chance that they'll move into your path. The safest thing is to wait until there's room to pass with a wide berth and a reasonable speed differential.
Likes For Snowflake6:
Old 10-05-20, 12:18 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I typically give a call out. However cyclists sometimes don't hear because of ambient road noise. For that reason, I always assume they did not hear and I only pass when I can do so with a wide berth. I've also come across a couple (not many) cyclists that had ear buds, which I think is not safe considering the importance of all senses when on the road.
Old 10-05-20, 12:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10461 Post(s)
Liked 11,958 Times in 6,122 Posts
I'm sorry, but if you need music, use ONE earbud. I don't want to hear your music. Yesterday I was twice passed by motorcycles with minimal mufflers AND playing music at a volume they could hear over their noisy pipes. It's just inconsiderate.

I know I'm an old fart for wondering why everyone has to carry their own music with them at all times, but seriously.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-05-20, 12:27 PM
2ering

Bikes: 1974 Gitane Tour de France, 2003 Trek Madone 5.9, 2007 Co-Motion Americano, 2017 Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Personally, on the rare occasion I'm on a mixed use path, I announce depending on the individual. If someone is "holding their line" I'll pass widely to the left. If people are crowding the center of the path or being erratic I'll announce. My opinion is that there's not enough placed on slower users to maintain situational awareness, if you're on a path expect at all times you'll be passed, have your head on a swivel and don't do anything without looking. Announcing should frankly be unnecessary, after all if we're driving we don't need cars honking to tell us they are passing us.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Likes For 2ering:
Old 10-05-20, 12:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10461 Post(s)
Liked 11,958 Times in 6,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowflake6
Someone went somewhere they weren't expected to be. Given that the person passing had a good view of your wife all the way up until passing, and your wife only saw them at the last minute, I know where i'd place my bet.

Others have said it before and it bears truth in my neck of the woods: Saying "on your left" makes half the riders/walkers move left. Ringing a bell startles people and again you get a 50-50 chance that they'll move into your path. The safest thing is to wait until there's room to pass with a wide berth and a reasonable speed differential.
Exactly. If you give a wide berth, it's really hard for someone to startle SO MUCH that they run into you. And bells and 'on your left' both often startle people. I depend on buzzing freewheel, and noisy breathing to announce my presence and then give a wide berth - especially these days!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-05-20, 12:30 PM
2ering

Bikes: 1974 Gitane Tour de France, 2003 Trek Madone 5.9, 2007 Co-Motion Americano, 2017 Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by LeftyS7
Lots of older riders just stare ahead.
Just like in cars.
Likes For 2ering:
Old 10-05-20, 12:46 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I have a small USB speaker. It is on 99% of the time I am riding solo (which is 99.9% of my ride time). The only time it is not on is questionable winding narrow country roads where I feel hearing cars coming up behind me is safer. Can't say they'd sound different when they are about to hit me but gives me piece of mind.

​​​My routine weekday rides are all rural, in the last year on those routes, I've seen maybe 3 other people on a bike total and not a single walker/jogger/runner or dog on a leash. The cows don't seem to mind the music.

Last edited by u235; 10-05-20 at 12:52 PM.
Likes For u235:
Old 10-05-20, 02:36 PM
merlinrkd

Bikes: BMZ Performance Touring

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Here in No Calif there are 2 problems. One: is that many of the cyclists are homeless folks. They mostly ride facing traffic. If you approach them on a signed bike lane they expect you to pull out into traffic to make way for them. Two: there is a significant increase in recent cyclists. They don't have a clue. On a separate walking/bike trail they brush by with no warning. It's a very narrow 8' paved abandoned RR. They stop on the trail and block their lane. They'll pass a cyclist in the same space as approaching pedestrians and expect the ped to jump out of their way. There is an embarrassing senior group of riders that have a loud horn. They come up from behind pedestrians and expect them to jump off onto the sloped gravel bank as they blow by with the horn blaring. It could be worse.
Old 10-05-20, 02:37 PM
Upsidedown

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lack of etiquette-

I don't get passed by other cyclists too often, but the past few times it's happened the person passing me has given no verbal warning (i.e. "on your left"), no ring of the bell (if they had one), and when they passed they were about a foot away from me. Extremely rude in my opinion, and to top it off they couldn't even stay in front of me after they passed.

What's up with the lack of etiquette from other cyclists? Do they just not know any better? Do they think that I'm "less" of a cyclist because they're on a road bike with drop bars and I'm not, therefore etiquette does not matter?

When passing any cyclist these are three basic rules that I follow:

1. Ring my bell or provide a verbal warning (i.e. "on your left") as I approach.
2. When I pass the other rider I try to give them 3ft. We are still in the midst of a pandemic, so if I'm not constrained by traffic there's no reason to "crowd" another rider.
3. If I pass another rider I make sure to stay out front and keep on going.

I'm not sure why other humans on bikes don't show similar consideration, but many don't. Is anyone else experiencing a similar dynamic? Does anyone think I'm expecting too much in the way of etiquette from my fellow cyclists?
I often think about the same thing. Living in SoCal/Orange County. It really amazes me how many people, especially groups don’t give a warning or say, on your left! Not only do you endanger me but you also endanger yourself. What’s up about this?
Likes For Upsidedown:
Old 10-05-20, 02:40 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I don't get passed by other cyclists too often, but the past few times it's happened the person passing me has given no verbal warning (i.e. "on your left"), no ring of the bell (if they had one), and when they passed they were about a foot away from me. Extremely rude in my opinion, and to top it off they couldn't even stay in front of me after they passed.

What's up with the lack of etiquette from other cyclists? Do they just not know any better? Do they think that I'm "less" of a cyclist because they're on a road bike with drop bars and I'm not, therefore etiquette does not matter?

When passing any cyclist these are three basic rules that I follow:

1. Ring my bell or provide a verbal warning (i.e. "on your left") as I approach.
2. When I pass the other rider I try to give them 3ft. We are still in the midst of a pandemic, so if I'm not constrained by traffic there's no reason to "crowd" another rider.
3. If I pass another rider I make sure to stay out front and keep on going.

I'm not sure why other humans on bikes don't show similar consideration, but many don't. Is anyone else experiencing a similar dynamic? Does anyone think I'm expecting too much in the way of etiquette from my fellow cyclists?
I don't agree with you. I think whether or not you should say something depends on a lot on the situation, and many just don't call for saying anything. Often "on your left" or ringing a bell can be really startling. I'm slow, so I get passed pretty often, and most of the time I', fine with them not saying anything or ringing a bell. However, I don't like it when they pass really close....and some situations clearly call for telling someone.
I don't say anything to every person i pass...and often if you do, you startle pedetrians, who trun around right into yoru path.
Old 10-05-20, 04:46 PM
matt_bz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody ever did it in the cities I biked before until I moved to Chicago, and even here I thought it was like a hipster thing because only guys with tattoos, beanies and fixies would do it.
But I like it
Old 10-05-20, 04:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by dkatz1
I think whether or not you should say something depends on a lot on the situation, and many just don't call for saying anything. Often "on your left" or ringing a bell can be really startling. ...

...I don't say anything to every person i pass...and often if you do, you startle pedetrians, who trun around right into yoru path.
Cars seem to be more predicable than pedestrians. And when on the road you're much more careful and assume total responsibility since the drivers accept none.
Old 10-05-20, 04:58 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
There's no irony here. Whether I have an external speaker or not has nothing to do with passing protocol / etiquette. If you call out your intention to pass at a normal volume and I don't hear you, that's on me. If you decide to not announce because I have music playing at a moderate volume or you just can't announce because you have an issue with your voice, that's on you. Perhaps you should get a bell or a horn so you can properly announce. Via your own acknowledgement, my ability to hear you (or not) has more to do with you than my music. Don't blame me for your problem.

I'm not really sure why some cyclists dislike external speakers (even when played at volumes that do not compromise safety). Perhaps Reflector Guy can shed some light on this "Puritanical" opinion. My working hypothesis is that some cyclists are just stuck in their ways and are pretty closed-minded to anything that does not conform to their rigid expectations of what other people are supposed to be doing (or not doing) on their bikes.
if your the cyclist with external speakers with music on it will always be your fault if something happens. If your willing to taking on the risk that’s on you and don’t blame others.
Old 10-05-20, 05:02 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I commonly sing out loud while I ride. Never had a single passing problem when doing that.
Likes For Pop N Wood:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.