Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Painting winter bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Painting winter bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 12:07 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Painting winter bike

A contradiction: bicycle that has some sentimental value to me (1996 steel MTB) is the bike I use when it snows.

I want to remove old paint and paint it, in order to make it last as long as possible. I will remove all the components, completely dissasemle it (will do the job in the spring). Planing to sand-blast the paint on the outside. There are three questions:

1) How to clean the frame from the inside, without damage it?

2) How to best protect the frame from the inside after cleaning it?

3) How to best protect the frame from the outside? Plastic, or some other paint? What is the most durable and salt resistant?

Aesthetics is not too important, but if possible, I'd like to get a Ferrari metallic red finish. Good at wrenching, decent at painting with spray paint. Prepared to leave the job to professionals if that's advised as smarter option.
Old 11-03-16, 12:49 AM
Merco_61

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spray painting is very difficult to get durable without oven-curing the paint. Powdercoating is a much better option.

Rosso Corsa in a metallic finish will nearly always be blotchy when applied to small, round areas like a bicycle frame unless you are a professional who has painted slim tubes very many times.

Frame saver treatment will do much to preserve the inside of the frame, just get a kit and follow the directions after paint and before the buildup.
Old 11-03-16, 01:17 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4816 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,566 Posts
A really cheap and very home-doable approach is to brush on 2 part epoxy. That stuff has the wonderful characteristic of flowing as it sets up so very distinct brush marks disappear completely. Not the hardest pain but it is very chip resistant. Epoxy on bare metal works very well so no primer is needed.

Other pluses: the epoxy you do not mix up will probably last and be as good as new for the rest of your life. Do a thorough clean and a light sand and second coats go on just as durable as the first. (And you can repair chips, fill in holes you no longer want and bond on whatever you now want with any epoxy before painting.) Even very hard epoxies have a window before they are completely set up where sanding is easy so filling ships, then sanding to match the old paint is not hard. Mixed paint can go into the freezer to extend its life. Useful for small touch-ups. Caution - once the paint starts to set up, DO NOT touch it! Let imperfections stand and deal with after it sets up or sand it out 80% set up. In the early stages as it goes through its flow state, it will stick to anything you bring into contact. It won't be pretty!

You can also spray the stuff. If you do a pro job, the results will be about 25% better than a good brush job that anybody can do. Epoxy and the required (if you spray) lacquer thinner are very bad to breath and for the environment. I wouldn't count on a respirator. Doing it by hand, little thinner is needed and with a halfway decent supply of fresh air, not an issue.

I used this approach (brush) when I was riding salt roads in the winter. Worked really well.

Ben
Old 11-03-16, 07:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 3,891 Times in 2,322 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A really cheap and very home-doable approach is to brush on 2 part epoxy. That stuff has the wonderful characteristic of flowing as it sets up so very distinct brush marks disappear completely. Not the hardest pain but it is very chip resistant. Epoxy on bare metal works very well so no primer is needed.

Other pluses: the epoxy you do not mix up will probably last and be as good as new for the rest of your life. Do a thorough clean and a light sand and second coats go on just as durable as the first. (And you can repair chips, fill in holes you no longer want and bond on whatever you now want with any epoxy before painting.) Even very hard epoxies have a window before they are completely set up where sanding is easy so filling ships, then sanding to match the old paint is not hard. Mixed paint can go into the freezer to extend its life. Useful for small touch-ups. Caution - once the paint starts to set up, DO NOT touch it! Let imperfections stand and deal with after it sets up or sand it out 80% set up. In the early stages as it goes through its flow state, it will stick to anything you bring into contact. It won't be pretty!

You can also spray the stuff. If you do a pro job, the results will be about 25% better than a good brush job that anybody can do. Epoxy and the required (if you spray) lacquer thinner are very bad to breath and for the environment. I wouldn't count on a respirator. Doing it by hand, little thinner is needed and with a halfway decent supply of fresh air, not an issue.

I used this approach (brush) when I was riding salt roads in the winter. Worked really well.

Ben

I'll second this. I've painted two frames with Sears marine deck paint using a brush. Both times I used the associated primer. Both times this was after sandblasting and a phosphate solution application. The first time the brush marks remained, the second time they almost completely flowed out. I found that the mix ratio and/or the temperature were important to get right. I did the second inside (it was winter) in a closed off room and cranked up the heat. I would not suggest doing this in a closed room though. The gallon of paint and primer (the activator was a pint IIRC) went around several riders over a few years. We would comment on our drab green bikes when we rode together. Andy.
Old 11-03-16, 10:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the really good paint, is applied to the bottoms of steel ships (Ex Navy, now living in a fishing port town)

it is expensive but Applied on a bike you wont need much..

my father's 1953 AMC Nash , at the Factory, was immersed in a tank of rust inhibiting Primer.

once clean you may be able to get paint inside the tubes..

to let hot air out without having it bubble up thru the molten brass, making the joint defective,
there are small holes in the smaller tubes.. you have access to the inside of those tubes, there..

NB if you choose powder coat , they have to blast the surface clean, and have it Untouched
to have the powder coverage come out right..

fill threaded holes with sacrificial bolts . other places can be masked off.. you wont have to remove the old paint, yourself.

'/,

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-03-16 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-03-16, 11:22 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Merco_61
Frame saver treatment will do much to preserve the inside of the frame, just get a kit and follow the directions after paint and before the buildup.
+1. I wouldn't attempt to clean the inside of the tubes except perhaps to run a few rags through the accessible ones with a rod to remove any loose rust. Then treat them with Weigels Frame Saver (available at bike shops or internet order) or Amsoil HDMP (available at most NAPA auto parts stores).
Old 11-03-16, 12:34 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I recently had a frame powder coated and the powder coat shop stripped the old paint for me. I only had to disassemble and clean all the grease out.

They don't use sand to remove the paint because it can damage the metal. I don't remember what they used, maybe baking soda or walnut shells or something along those lines.

It cost $100 for strip and powder coat for just the frame. Additional $25 if I had a fork. This was for a single color. Pearl, metallic, etc would be additional cost starting at $20.

I've had other items powder coated before, like steel cabinets and the worker said they could do it cheaper if I did not care too much about the color. For example I wanted black but did not care about what shade of black so they bundled my job with another job that specified a shade of black.
Old 11-03-16, 12:42 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I can get a new alu frame for about 50 euros.

Sand blasting costs around 10 euros here.

Powder coating costs roughly the same - 10 to 15 euros.

Didn't know sand blasting could damage a steel frame though. Sacrificial bolts is a great idea!

So in case of powder coating, I'd need to leave inside of the frame protection for last, if I got it right?
Special frame savers are not available where I live, while ordering from abroad would make it cost about 20 euros on top of the purchase price, so that's out of the question. Is there an alternative way to do it. Regular engine oil, or some other widely available household or machine product?
Old 11-03-16, 12:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Boiled Linseed oil has been mentioned before as an alternative.
Old 11-03-16, 02:58 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
For powder coating you should leave the inside for the last step. The frame will be heated to about 200C so you don't want anything that could potentially come out in the oven because it will ruin the coating.

Sand blasting is a generic name when abrasives are blasted to remove paint. Specifically sand can cause damage like scratch or pitting. I do not remember the abrasive that was used to strip my frame. Sometimes the abrasive is baking soda/sodium bicarbonate or walnut shells. The idea is to use something that will remove the paint without damaging the material underneath. Sodium bicarbonate is more gentle than sand.

Last edited by jsdavis; 11-03-16 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-03-16, 06:21 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Media blasting is the generic term. There are a multitude of mediums available including sand.
Old 11-03-16, 07:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Another vote for powder coating.

It is dirt cheap, durable and comes in a myriad of colors and effects.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...ated-bike.html

-Tim-
Old 11-04-16, 01:31 AM
Merco_61

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If frame saver isn't available, perhaps Dinol or Tectyl that the car restorers use can be found. Otherwise, boiled linseed oil works.