Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXV

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXV

Old 08-16-19, 05:45 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I have several Garmin products. They all work fine.
I have and had several Garmin products and I unequivocally disagree.

Old 08-16-19, 05:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
Take one, or two, for the team.
I have my limits.

Old 08-16-19, 06:58 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have my limits.

I would try it. Once. Never had anything like that before.
Old 08-16-19, 07:09 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I would try it. Once. Never had anything like that before.
I have. Mnyeh.

So, @datlas, I have been strong-armed into doing a week of consult attending in October. They say I'll have an NP, maybe a resident, and a brilliant fellow to tell me what to tell them to do, but I'm still terrified. There is also an ethical conflict arising from the fact that if I don't commit gross negligence, they'll probably put me on the schedule again.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 08-16-19 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-16-19, 07:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I worked at a restaurant that made fried ice cream sundaes. Yeah - meh. I don't think that the flash frying of the applied topping really adds anything vs conventional toppings.
Old 08-16-19, 07:28 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I worked at a restaurant that made fried ice cream sundaes. Yeah - meh. I don't think that the flash frying of the applied topping really adds anything vs conventional toppings.
Yeah, the old Good Humor toasted almond popsicle was better, especially the one with the hard chocolate around the stick.
Old 08-16-19, 07:30 AM
WhyFi

A question for you folks that are no strangers to the application of elbow grease: is there an easy/easier way to remove little pin-pricks of black rust from metal?

I'm in the process of removing a little bit of rust from the VW's door sill/step. I'm down to 95% shiny metal, but the little spots of black rust are being stubborn - it's going to take a lot more work to hit those low spots if I'm going to continue with sandpaper. Before calling it a day, I did hit it with a wire brush - the results look promising vs sanding, but still a considerable amount of tedious time/work. Maybe the addition of a chemical remover in addition to the wire brush, like a mild citric acid solution?
Old 08-16-19, 07:45 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have. Mnyeh.

So, @datlas, I have been strong-armed into doing a week of consult attending in October. They say I'll have an NP, maybe a resident, and a brilliant fellow to tell me what to tell them to do, but I'm still terrified. There is also an ethical conflict arising from the fact that if I don't commit gross negligence, they'll probably put me on the schedule again.
Oh dear. If you start to like it, that's great. If you don't want to come back, be a french shower to everyone under you and the patients, and they won't ask you back.
Old 08-16-19, 07:59 AM
WhyFi

Yeah, the old Good Humor toasted almond popsicle was better, especially the one with the hard chocolate around the stick.
Speaking of revisiting old childhood delights, there was an ice cream truck hanging out at the UP Big Boy visit a couple weeks ago. I got treats for the kids, but had to have one of those chocolate eclair Good Humor bars for myself. I enjoyed it, but not enough that I'd search them out the grocery store.
Old 08-16-19, 08:04 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Oh dear. If you start to like it, that's great. If you don't want to come back, be a french shower to everyone under you and the patients, and they won't ask you back.
I used to be pretty good, but that was 15 years ago, and I seem to lack the french shower gene.
Old 08-16-19, 08:06 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Speaking of revisiting old childhood delights, there was an ice cream truck hanging out at the UP Big Boy visit a couple weeks ago. I got treats for the kids, but had to have one of those chocolate eclair Good Humor bars for myself. I enjoyed it, but not enough that I'd search them out the grocery store.
No, it has to come from a truck. When I was a kid, there was an actual Good Humor store nearby, where my mom would take us sometimes.
Old 08-16-19, 08:08 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
A question for you folks that are no strangers to the application of elbow grease: is there an easy/easier way to remove little pin-pricks of black rust from metal?

I'm in the process of removing a little bit of rust from the VW's door sill/step. I'm down to 95% shiny metal, but the little spots of black rust are being stubborn - it's going to take a lot more work to hit those low spots if I'm going to continue with sandpaper. Before calling it a day, I did hit it with a wire brush - the results look promising vs sanding, but still a considerable amount of tedious time/work. Maybe the addition of a chemical remover in addition to the wire brush, like a mild citric acid solution?
Rust stopping primer applied with a Q-tip. Follow with touch up paint pen or not. Then some type of clear sealer like fingernail paint.
Old 08-16-19, 08:11 AM
WhyFi

I used to be pretty good, but that was 15 years ago, and I seem to lack the french shower gene.
Off the subject, but what's the story with your avatar? It looks like a PG version of our, uh, sensory input...
Old 08-16-19, 08:16 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by seypat
Rust stopping primer applied with a Q-tip. Follow with touch up paint pen or not. Then some type of clear sealer like fingernail paint.
So don't bother with further removal? I have a can of Rust-Oleum primer/paint that I bought for use on this spot, but I haven't looked at the instructions too closely (bought it months ago and I'm too lazy to go out to the garage right now).
Old 08-16-19, 08:27 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Off the subject, but what's the story with your avatar? It looks like a PG version of our, uh, sensory input...
It has a pecker doesn't it? Yes, it's someone on the internet's 3D idea of a cortical representation homunculus, I don't know if it's sensory or motor. I look something like that in real life, but with smaller hands.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-16-19, 08:31 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I'd say, something like a little wire wheel on the end of a Dremel or just seal them with the right paint. No oxygen, no progression.
Old 08-16-19, 08:51 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
So don't bother with further removal? I have a can of Rust-Oleum primer/paint that I bought for use on this spot, but I haven't looked at the instructions too closely (bought it months ago and I'm too lazy to go out to the garage right now).
Try some naval jelly with a small brass wire brush first to remove embedded rust. Then a corrosion inhibiting primer before final paint.
Likes For mvnsnd:
Old 08-16-19, 09:16 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Did he ring the bells??
Old 08-16-19, 09:38 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
No oxygen, no progression.
This is the key. The rest depends on how much time you want to spend on it.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-16-19, 09:40 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
On Wednesday, I was in a meeting with a client around 5:00 p.m. and we hear tires squeal and a smash. He and I look down and it looks like a car turned in front of a cyclist coming down the hill. We can only see her legs because a tree is in the way. Front wheel of her carbon Trek (like Vol's, post Postal pre aero) is mangled to hell. She's not moving.

We try to continue our appt but I have that terrible feeling. I look down again and you can see blood coming from her leg, probably where it hit the car. Still not moving. She has no show socks and cycling shoes, so I'm hopeful she was wearing a helmet. AMR takes her away and the older couple driving the car sit with the police below my office.

Yesterday a cyclist that was hit by a van from behind a few miles from my house tweeted he was able to sit up for the first time since the accident on July 20th. Van driver left him broken in the rain until someone found him and drove him down the road to the hospital.

Before bed last night, I watched the body cam footage released by the Colorado Springs Police Department. Young kid shot in the back four times while running away. He goes to the ground, tries to raise his hands as instructed, and then bleeds out. Had a hard time sleeping last night.

I was going to ride in this morning and drove instead. On my way in, I thought of Addiction. Hope you guys are doing well and no one has been hit by cars or fallen off ladders in the last year.

Last edited by sbxx1985; 08-16-19 at 09:43 AM.
Likes For sbxx1985:
Old 08-16-19, 10:18 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
I don’t need a power meter or fancy computer to tell me I suck. I am painfully aware.
Same here. But one day . . . . . . . there will be rueing.
Old 08-16-19, 10:36 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
Great to see you, sbxx.

I had KOA on at work because they carry the Rockies, and came in the break room during a Peter Boyles rant against cyclists. I remember him talking to Lewis and Floorwax many years ago, and know he rides a motorcycle, so I was taken aback by it all. I quit listening to Jamie in the morning, based on her and her radio partners moronic statements about cyclists. Their deal was brought on by a cyclist getting cranky at a driver for pulling into the bike lane ahead of him. One incident that made the news, compared to the minimum 5 times a car violates my safety on nearly every single ride.

The answer is less. People. Cars. Phones. Urgency. Nothing but a pipe dream.

That footage is disturbing as hell, and so as not to go all P&R, I'll stop there.

Either way, I hope you and yours are doing well. I surmise you're buried in work, based on reputation, and the world today.
Old 08-16-19, 10:47 AM
sbxx1985 

Hope your wife and pooches are doing well, LAJ. All the CU kids and their out of state parents are in town. Given the traffic, it's a no brainer to ride. Problem though is we now have all the California Google types in town. It's a death wish this week and next. Stay out of town if you're headed this way.

What's your racing status? Are you still with Old School?
Old 08-16-19, 10:52 AM
sbxx1985 

Dang. That's awesome. Congrats, Billy.

Originally Posted by BillyD
Here's the new puppy, 12 weeks old, 24 lbs, full of mischievous energy, chewing on EVERYTHING.

Old 08-16-19, 11:25 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
All good. Mrs. LAJ grows stuff like magic, Indy just walks to the end of the block and back, because a whole block is too much. If she sees a bunny, it's a great day. Georgia-Mae hunts from the comfort of home. She lays down in the AC and spots her prey out the window, that's climbing her tree, in her yard. She makes so much racket screaming out the doggie door, the squirrel is safe, and I don't get any surprise dollies presented to me anymore. It's a good game.

Racing is hard. The only ones left are old grizzled veterans that have been racing since the 80's. Cagey, and fit. I'm not disappointed, and when I hit a top 5, I'm pretty happy. Bannock was a couple weeks ago, and since we race with the 50+ guys, it's tough to know right where you are, in relation to the rest in my field. I was right there with a guy I can usually outlast to the line, but we came around the third to last corner, and there was a guy down. He was untangling himself, and just as I approached, he threw his bike in my path. That slowed me, the other guy I was racing chose the outside line to him, and he went through without delay. I ended up 4th. Crap. Not bad for the second crit of the day, but a podium would be nice.

I'll stick with Old School. I have too many kits with their name on them,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.