Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 02-10-20, 08:56 PM
  #5101  
kissTheApex
Senior Member
 
kissTheApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 836

Bikes: Fuji Team 08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels View Post
I'm too picky about specs, but there is an in stock option I have my eye on. Hence the hand wringing.
Good luck with it
kissTheApex is offline  
Old 02-10-20, 08:56 PM
  #5102  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 12,687

Bikes: 72 Schwinn World Voyageur, 78 Schwinn World(upright town bike), 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 88 Centurion Ironman Expert,92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5452 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
we’re a shark family. Have been and always will be.
We use a shop-vac
__________________
one general tip for when the exact hub cone is not readily available. discovered that the curvature of the bearing surface on the shimano 600 was a pretty good "skeleton key" for many applications. it would sometimes require a small change in ball size to make everything come out correctly.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 02-10-20, 09:01 PM
  #5103  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 33,481

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4557 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 238 Posts
Wyoming must've hit a warm spell. Can't even drive a quad on Flaming Gorge...

LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 02-10-20, 09:03 PM
  #5104  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 34,803

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11200 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Looks like the abshipp household is going mostly vegan for a while.

Should be interesting. We eat vegetarian 80%-90% of the time, but vegan is a whole other commitment.
Hardcore vegan? Or eating the fake stuff?
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 02-10-20, 09:41 PM
  #5105  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,268

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5333 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Wyoming must've hit a warm spell. Can't even drive a quad on Flaming Gorge...

Hate to say it, but if there's a vehicle with a prancing horse on the license plate, I give a wide berth. They can't drive too well on I-25 either.
__________________
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
It's never about getting comfortable. It's about getting capable.
LAJ is offline  
Old 02-10-20, 10:07 PM
  #5106  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,159

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Hardcore vegan? Or eating the fake stuff?
Not really much of the fake stuff. Occasionally we will use a ground meat imitation for stuffed peppers or something, but usually we just don't eat meat the old fashioned way.
abshipp is offline  
Old 02-10-20, 10:32 PM
  #5107  
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,431

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 694 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 90 Posts
We had a great time in Arroyo Grande for Puppy Love's Nosework tests. Rented an AirBnB in an avocado orchard and the dogs had a great time racing around the property and trying to dig up all the gophers. I got some nice rides in too, nothing too taxing, beautiful routes. Plus: wine tasting.

The Nosework tests were something called Odor Recognition Tests. They are the entry level step for Nosework. The task is for the dog to find which of 12 closed identical boxes contains the target odor, which is a q tip with a drop of an essential oil on it. The three target odors are birch, anise or clove. They are tested separately but this particular event offered three tests, one for each odor, consecutively over one day.

Puppy Love is prone to worry and she doesn't like novel stuff too much. Which is partially why I started doing these dog sports with her, I want her to gain confidence by doing things that make sense to her.

She was a bit taken aback by the venue, and the other dogs, and not knowing what was going on, and the mirrored wall in the test room, and the strange people (the judges) watching her. But she put her nose down and gave me clear alerts each time, she passed all three of her tests. So proud of her, stuff like that is harder for her than many dog but she got it done like a tiny boss.


Waiting to be unleashed upon the gopher scourge.


Of course I texted her breeder afterwards to let her know how well our girl did. She mentioned she might have another puppy, if we're interested.... Lol she is the dachshund version of a crack dealer.
Heathpack is offline  
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 02-10-20, 10:58 PM
  #5108  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 34,803

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11200 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Not really much of the fake stuff. Occasionally we will use a ground meat imitation for stuffed peppers or something, but usually we just don't eat meat the old fashioned way.
I've been using fake milk (mostly in cereal) for a few years. I'm not really picky, so it's suitable. Have had some fake cheese slices recently. I'm undecided whether they're worth it or not.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 06:07 AM
  #5109  
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger
 
Pirkaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,929

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 64 Posts
Performed my civic duty, let the chips fall where they may. 🇺🇸
Pirkaus is offline  
Likes For Pirkaus:
Old 02-11-20, 06:11 AM
  #5110  
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger
 
Pirkaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,929

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 64 Posts
I was vegan for several years, currently ovo lacto vegetarian, cheese and eggs are my weakness.
Pirkaus is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 06:35 AM
  #5111  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 25,395
Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10453 Post(s)
Liked 1,879 Times in 1,079 Posts
Saw a dude nearly get jacked up trying to exit the highway this rainy morning. Far right lane is exit only. Next lane is exit or go straight. Third lane is go straight only. Dude driving a Forester in the third lane passes a semi that's going straight in the second lane and cuts in front of it in order to exit. Semi clips his rear bumper and lifts the vehicle up a bit, but the guy made it onto the exit ramp. Wondering if he pissed his pants. Hoping he learned a lesson: Slow the hell down and don't be so impatient.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 07:00 AM
  #5112  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 27,588

Bikes: R3 Disc, Domane, Haanjo

Mentioned: 329 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11137 Post(s)
Liked 1,085 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Saw a dude nearly get jacked up trying to exit the highway this rainy morning. Far right lane is exit only. Next lane is exit or go straight. Third lane is go straight only. Dude driving a Forester in the third lane passes a semi that's going straight in the second lane and cuts in front of it in order to exit. Semi clips his rear bumper and lifts the vehicle up a bit, but the guy made it onto the exit ramp. Wondering if he pissed his pants. Hoping he learned a lesson: Slow the hell down and don't be so impatient.
That sounds like a near perfect outcome, to me - no real bodily harm but a very real wake-up call, a bit of car damage and some soiled britches. ******g idiots.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 02-11-20, 07:19 AM
  #5113  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 4,915

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3175 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
That sounds like a near perfect outcome, to me - no real bodily harm but a very real wake-up call, a bit of car damage and some soiled britches. ******g idiots.
If he's capable of learning. The world is full of more subtle warnings, if we're capable of perceiving them.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 07:19 AM
  #5114  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,159

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus View Post
I was vegan for several years, currently ovo lacto vegetarian, cheese and eggs are my weakness.
That's pretty close to where I'm at. I still eat meat when I'm at restaurants, but anything at home follows the ovo-lacto idea. Occasionally we will do some fish, but that's maybe once every few months.
abshipp is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 07:20 AM
  #5115  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,159

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
I've been using fake milk (mostly in cereal) for a few years. I'm not really picky, so it's suitable. Have had some fake cheese slices recently. I'm undecided whether they're worth it or not.
Fake milk is fine by me, we use it a lot.

Fake cheese is an abomination, I'd rather just go without.
abshipp is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 07:22 AM
  #5116  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 25,395
Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10453 Post(s)
Liked 1,879 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
That sounds like a near perfect outcome, to me - no real bodily harm but a very real wake-up call, a bit of car damage and some soiled britches. ******g idiots.
Yeah. In my rear view mirror I saw the truck slow like it was going to stop. The other guy was already down the ramp. Wonder whether he stopped as well. Felt bad for the truck driver.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 07:58 AM
  #5117  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 27,588

Bikes: R3 Disc, Domane, Haanjo

Mentioned: 329 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11137 Post(s)
Liked 1,085 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
If he's capable of learning. The world is full of more subtle warnings, if we're capable of perceiving them.
Yeah, will it be, "OMG, that was close - better not do that again." or "OMG, that was close - I'M INVINCIBLE! WOOO!"

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Yeah. In my rear view mirror I saw the truck slow like it was going to stop. The other guy was already down the ramp. Wonder whether he stopped as well. Felt bad for the truck driver.
Yeah, pretty much - the truck driver doesn't deserve that kind of stress.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 02-11-20, 08:17 AM
  #5118  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 27,588

Bikes: R3 Disc, Domane, Haanjo

Mentioned: 329 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11137 Post(s)
Liked 1,085 Times in 624 Posts
Question: scuffed 5800 crankset or pristine 5700 crankset?

As previously mentioned, I'll likely be selling off the Domane. When I got my P2M crankset, I put the Domane's stock 5800 crankset on my gravel bike, but now I need to put something else back on it.

The 5800 crankset has seen <500 miles on gravel and around town (playground with the kids, groceries, etc) and has been the victim of heel rub and has a silvery sheen at the spindle area (I think that 105 is painted rather than anodized).

I also have a NOS 5700 crankset, which is the classic style 5-arm jobber (I had bought this with the intent of using it with those ill-fated PowerTap C1 chainrings, but the Domane didn't have the frame clearance).

So, which would be more attractive to (or maybe less noticed by) prospective buyers: the scuffed 5800 crankset with the more modern 4-arm aesthetic or the pristine but somewhat dated 5700?

5700 -


5800 -

WhyFi is online now  
Old 02-11-20, 08:19 AM
  #5119  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: hampton roads
Posts: 711

Bikes: cannondale caad 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Question: scuffed 5800 crankset or pristine 5700 crankset?

As previously mentioned, I'll likely be selling off the Domane. When I got my P2M crankset, I put the Domane's stock 5800 crankset on my gravel bike, but now I need to put something else back on it.

The 5800 crankset has seen <500 miles on gravel and around town (playground with the kids, groceries, etc) and has been the victim of heel rub and has a silvery sheen at the spindle area (I think that 105 is painted rather than anodized).

I also have a NOS 5700 crankset, which is the classic style 5-arm jobber (I had bought this with the intent of using it with those ill-fated PowerTap C1 chainrings, but the Domane didn't have the frame clearance).

So, which would be more attractive to (or maybe less noticed by) prospective buyers: the scuffed 5800 crankset with the more modern 4-arm aesthetic or the pristine but somewhat dated 5700?

5700 -


5800 -

When you hand deliver it to me, I would prefer the 5800. Thanks.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 08:24 AM
  #5120  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 31,044

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10925 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Question: scuffed 5800 crankset or pristine 5700 crankset?

As previously mentioned, I'll likely be selling off the Domane. When I got my P2M crankset, I put the Domane's stock 5800 crankset on my gravel bike, but now I need to put something else back on it.

The 5800 crankset has seen <500 miles on gravel and around town (playground with the kids, groceries, etc) and has been the victim of heel rub and has a silvery sheen at the spindle area (I think that 105 is painted rather than anodized).

I also have a NOS 5700 crankset, which is the classic style 5-arm jobber (I had bought this with the intent of using it with those ill-fated PowerTap C1 chainrings, but the Domane didn't have the frame clearance).

So, which would be more attractive to (or maybe less noticed by) prospective buyers: the scuffed 5800 crankset with the more modern 4-arm aesthetic or the pristine but somewhat dated 5700?

5700 -


5800 -

I think either is fine. I personally like the aesthetics of the 5700 but that's because
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 08:28 AM
  #5121  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 27,588

Bikes: R3 Disc, Domane, Haanjo

Mentioned: 329 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11137 Post(s)
Liked 1,085 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
When you hand deliver it to me, I would prefer the 5800. Thanks.
Lol.

Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I think either is fine. I personally like the aesthetics of the 5700 but that's because
Same. I do like the look of the 5700 more.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 02-11-20, 08:31 AM
  #5122  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,268

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5333 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
We had a great time in Arroyo Grande for Puppy Love's Nosework tests. Rented an AirBnB in an avocado orchard and the dogs had a great time racing around the property and trying to dig up all the gophers. I got some nice rides in too, nothing too taxing, beautiful routes. Plus: wine tasting.

The Nosework tests were something called Odor Recognition Tests. They are the entry level step for Nosework. The task is for the dog to find which of 12 closed identical boxes contains the target odor, which is a q tip with a drop of an essential oil on it. The three target odors are birch, anise or clove. They are tested separately but this particular event offered three tests, one for each odor, consecutively over one day.

Puppy Love is prone to worry and she doesn't like novel stuff too much. Which is partially why I started doing these dog sports with her, I want her to gain confidence by doing things that make sense to her.

She was a bit taken aback by the venue, and the other dogs, and not knowing what was going on, and the mirrored wall in the test room, and the strange people (the judges) watching her. But she put her nose down and gave me clear alerts each time, she passed all three of her tests. So proud of her, stuff like that is harder for her than many dog but she got it done like a tiny boss.


Waiting to be unleashed upon the gopher scourge.


Of course I texted her breeder afterwards to let her know how well our girl did. She mentioned she might have another puppy, if we're interested.... Lol she is the dachshund version of a crack dealer.
Dogs Rule.

Crack indeed. Just one little dog....
__________________
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
It's never about getting comfortable. It's about getting capable.
LAJ is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 08:36 AM
  #5123  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 17,268

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5333 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 334 Posts
5700 all day long.
__________________
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
It's never about getting comfortable. It's about getting capable.
LAJ is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 09:00 AM
  #5124  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 46,845

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7036 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Question: scuffed 5800 crankset or pristine 5700 crankset?

As previously mentioned, I'll likely be selling off the Domane. When I got my P2M crankset, I put the Domane's stock 5800 crankset on my gravel bike, but now I need to put something else back on it.

The 5800 crankset has seen <500 miles on gravel and around town (playground with the kids, groceries, etc) and has been the victim of heel rub and has a silvery sheen at the spindle area (I think that 105 is painted rather than anodized).

I also have a NOS 5700 crankset, which is the classic style 5-arm jobber (I had bought this with the intent of using it with those ill-fated PowerTap C1 chainrings, but the Domane didn't have the frame clearance).

So, which would be more attractive to (or maybe less noticed by) prospective buyers: the scuffed 5800 crankset with the more modern 4-arm aesthetic or the pristine but somewhat dated 5700?

5700 -


5800 -
Install the one you don't want to keep.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 09:01 AM
  #5125  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 46,845

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7036 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Install the one you don't want to keep.
Or install the one that's not currently on a bike.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.