Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Athenas-Blood sugar control, distance riding, diet & weight loss

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 04:17 PM
k8t

Bikes: Novarra Randonee, Specialized Dolce Elite, Santana Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi All!

I've been lurking here and drawing inspiration from all of you for a few years, and now could use some advice, especially from Athena's. I'm a 60-year old T2 diabetic (metformin), just getting back into riding and looking for any inspiration from those of you who have lost weight and have also battled blood sugar control.

I've signed up to ride the Tour de Cure in early May and could also use some advice regarding a training program. I used to be pretty comfortable riding 30-40 miles (2 years ago) but now barely comfortable riding 5 miles. I'd love to aim for the 60 mile ride but not sure I can get there yet. My goal this week is to simply be on my bike and move, and then start increasing time and distance next week. I know I can get to 30, but not sure about the 60 miles by then. My mantra is like the little engine that could... I think I can, I think I can!

Some of my questions are about diet and fueling for a few hours while taking metformin. Are you bonking and how do you handle that? I'm following a pretty much plant based diet these days and wondering if any others are also succeeding with plant based eating, distance riding, weight loss and blood sugar control. What's working for you?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-20, 05:38 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
There may be help from the Clydes as well. I am an Athena but don't have T2 diabetes or experience with Metformin. I have issues with my thyroid (it is underactive) and I take synthetic thyroid hormone for that.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress
Old 01-29-20, 06:09 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I'm type 2 but no medications. Doc said if I avoid sugar and keep the exercise, I will not have to take the meds, my choice. Of course I am going to avoid the meds. I went from a 7.5 A1c to a 6.1 to prove to the doc I could do it.

But still the sugar levels are tricky.

My usual ride is a 43 miler. The first couple of times, I ditched the Garorade and Clif bar on my ride thinking it was a good idea to avoid the sugar. I think I was wrong because I was feeling it on my rides. Nothing serious, nothing like a low I'm guessing as I don't really know what a low is not taking meds. But I know the energy was not there. So I decided to eat the bar and G ade to keep me going. It was a good move. I'd go ride, eat my stuff, an hour after the ride I would eat a sandwich and salad. I'd check my level an hour after that and it would be 100-105. Great!

I know a guy who got so obsessed with his weight loss that he decided not to eat the day before a century ride we had scheduled. He wanted so much to weigh XXX pounds on ride day that he starved himself the day before thinking it would help. Big mistake. He ended up really sucking on the ride. So I hope noboby starves themselves the day before or the day of the ride. IMO, need to eat something.

So I am interested in reading some responses for those who do take meds to see how they react on long rides and how they control it.

Another time I was really fooled by the sugar level was a midweek ride. I thought I would go out to ride then come home and have a reading of 100 or so. Nope! I was actually freaked out ha ha! I did a midweek 10 mile ride with 1,000 ft of gain, about an hour or so of exercise. Checked my blood when I got home and it was 135.

I didn't know what was going on. Thank goodness for the net. I read that when we exercise, the pancreas produces sugar to fuel the body. So the level rises but after a period of time, the level drops back to normal. Wow, learn something new everyday but that one puzzled me at the time.

So hopefully you get some pretty good answers to your questions and issues. I might learn something new even though I don't take meds.
Old 01-30-20, 09:07 PM
k8t

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the comments! The Clydes have been very open about how they're addressing the weight/cycling/blood sugar/fueling issues, but I'm having a hard time finding many responses from women, and their experiences.

In the meantime, I'm amazed at how much information is here from so many. I haven't been here for awhile and I'd forgotten what a great resource BF is!

This is interesting and I've had this same thing happen to me. Now I know. Thanks very much or posting!

Another time I was really fooled by the sugar level was a midweek ride. I thought I would go out to ride then come home and have a reading of 100 or so. Nope! I was actually freaked out ha ha! I did a midweek 10 mile ride with 1,000 ft of gain, about an hour or so of exercise. Checked my blood when I got home and it was 135.

I didn't know what was going on. Thank goodness for the net. I read that when we exercise, the pancreas produces sugar to fuel the body. So the level rises but after a period of time, the level drops back to normal. Wow, learn something new everyday but that one puzzled me at the time.
Likes For k8t:
Old 01-30-20, 10:18 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by k8t

Old 02-01-20, 09:29 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by k8t

Oops, didn't realize that you were quoting "Dude", so this whole post may not apply to you. I will write another response to the your OP.

I have read that this will occur, a rise in BG during exercise, but the blood sugars should later go down to lower levels. I read this in some pamphlets at my doctor's office. Talk to your doctor about this.

First, I am a Type 2, insulin dependent diabetic. I have been a diabetic for over 25 years. I use a lot of insulin. Since I am insulin dependent, some things that I mention may not apply to you

Do you measure your blood sugar before your ride?, did you measure it before that specific ride that you mentioned? did the blood sugars decrease or increase? Exercising initially increases blood sugars then blood sugars will begin decreasing.

I measure my blood sugar before a ride. This portion may be because I am insulin dependent, I was told by my doctor to have a snack before riding if my blood sugars are below 120 and to ALWAYS bring a snack that has 15-20 grams of carbs because I have low blood sugar events during some of my rides. My biggest concern is having a hypoglycemic event during a ride away from home. Since I ride a more remote bike trail in farm areas there are few areas to get a snack or help when riding.

Some things that I do for a ride, I measure my blood sugars before a ride, I bring a test kit on my ride, I bring some energy bars or snacks that have 15 - 20 grams of carbs per hour. I never eat this much snacks but by the time I feel that I am having a hypoglycemic event, it is bad and I eat until I feel better (try not to do this).

Stay safe and be prepared.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 02-01-20 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-01-20, 10:02 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Originally Posted by k8t
Hi All!

I've been lurking here and drawing inspiration from all of you for a few years, and now could use some advice, especially from Athena's. I'm a 60-year old T2 diabetic (metformin), just getting back into riding and looking for any inspiration from those of you who have lost weight and have also battled blood sugar control.

I've signed up to ride the Tour de Cure in early May and could also use some advice regarding a training program. I used to be pretty comfortable riding 30-40 miles (2 years ago) but now barely comfortable riding 5 miles. I'd love to aim for the 60 mile ride but not sure I can get there yet. My goal this week is to simply be on my bike and move, and then start increasing time and distance next week. I know I can get to 30, but not sure about the 60 miles by then. My mantra is like the little engine that could... I think I can, I think I can!

Some of my questions are about diet and fueling for a few hours while taking metformin. Are you bonking and how do you handle that? I'm following a pretty much plant based diet these days and wondering if any others are also succeeding with plant based eating, distance riding, weight loss and blood sugar control. What's working for you?

Thanks!
I am a Type 2 insulin dependent diabetic so these responses may not apply to you and you really should always address your questions to your medical professional.
1) I don't know anything about plant based diets.
2) I try to do a daily ride of at least 25 miles, outdoors or on a trainer
3) my BS are under control only I track all food to determine how many carbs that I am eating.

Since I have started riding a lot, I have decreased my long acting insulin by over 60% and my BS numbers are much better. I try to always bring snacks when I am riding outdoors, sometimes I forget when I switch bike for the day and have had an hypoglycemic event. One day I was on a tour, I had a large breakfast that included hash browns and pancakes w/ syrup, about 3 hours into my ride I had a hypoglycemic event. Thank goodness that I did have lots of snacks with me, but recovery time was about 30 minutes.

So, always bring some snacks with you, know what the symptoms of hypoglycemia are, bring a test kit with you.

I'm not sure if you get hypoglycemic events, but don't rely on feeling the symptoms, test before you go and eat frequently on long rides
Old 02-03-20, 08:48 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I am type 2 diabetic 6'3" at 360 pounds (down from 406). When I ended up taking 80 units of the Lantus insulin my weight shot up from 340 to 406 in less than six months, and I couldn't out exercise the insulin. I was able to drop the insulin dose down to 40 units with diet, exercise, and the addition of Invokana.

When I ride longer than a 10 mile ride I always carry a couple Hammer Nutrition gels incase I start to bonk. The bonk in my case is due to running out of fuel. I try to plan my rides so that I am no more than 15 miles from a mini mart or other place to refill waters and get a snack. I find if I grab and apple, or banana at my rest stops I can keep my sugars in good standing and still have energy to ride.

One of the biggest problems I have with my diabetes is the boils I get due to my body trying to get rid of the excess sugars, and sometimes they are in uncomfortable places (like inner thighs).

Good luck to you.
Old 02-07-20, 01:03 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Type ii diabetic here, too. Insulin dependant.

If I measure or sense that my blood sugar is high, a brisk exercise session (riding is my fave, but XC skiing will have to do for now) will bring it down to normal faster than fast acting insulin.

I try to always carry a couple pieces of fruit (apple, banana, orange slices) while out on an adventure. A low blood sugar when alone miles into the woods is scary, and I am sure an apple has saved my bacon more then once. I have also stumbled into convenience stores to buy some sugar-based food or drink more than once.

Also, I can't remember the last time I 'bonked' (it has definitely happened a few times), but I recall it being different than low blood glucose.
Old 02-12-20, 11:00 PM
k8t

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for your responses!

I've been having the best luck with fruit for refueling and just plain water for hydrating. So far so good. I'll need to pay more attention as the rides get longer.

Thanks for all your helpful comments. It's encouraging to hear others that are battling blood sugar are making it work so well.
Old 05-29-20, 10:37 PM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
A low blood sugar when alone miles into the woods is scary,
It is scary, I had that happen last summer while I was riding on a bike MUP that was miles from any stores. I went to a local pool to get something out of the vending machine, they didn't have a vending machine. One of the life guards gave me some fruit snacks that were laying around. Bless him. I try to always have some kinda snack in my bag.
Old 05-29-20, 10:56 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Look up low carb down under and dr fung on youtube, all the women seem to like keto diet best.

I lost 80 pounds fasting and my a1c went from prediabetic to less than 5.0. This also goes well with keto diet and low carb high fat diet.