Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

My weight

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 02:52 PM
yves845

Bikes: Santos travelmaster2.8 ; Brompton titanium ; R&M Load speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
My weight

To my dear Cyclesdales companions

I would just like to tell a few things about my life and weight. expecting to help some people.

Until my late 20, I was very reasonably fit, then I married and had 2 kids. My wife went "almost" nuts taking care of the newborns.

I had to stand acrimonious evening almost every days, with rants on my poor implication in taking care of the kids

To be honest I feeled, right or wrong, I needed to protect them from their pathologicaly angry mother

I took the bad habit of drinking a bit of alcohol to stand the situtation, with very high to moderate consumption.

I would also have to mention that my job is extremely stressful psycholgically, but now I work part time

By the way, I think I'm one of the world champions for biking full speed at night inhebriated.

My wife is still a strong advocates of a no kids life. I told her that I was very sorry bringing her to raise a girl and a son, and that all of this was my personnal fault.

2 month ago I decided to stop drinking, mostly because both of my kids are now really on their own.

I also told my wife about the situation, her reaction was : naturaly it's my fault again.

I warned her that I will never again be her "punching ball" against the difficulties of life.

I must say that whenever something goes wrong, my first reaction is feeling guilty of not being able to predict everything.

Since I stopped alcohol I'm lterally deflating. I plan to go bak to my 30's wheigth. I have to lose about 60 of your pounds.

Living in France and being well paid implies that my eating habits are by themselves healthy : almost no industrial processed food, fruits and vegetables dircet from the farm even if I indulge in fat ducks, cassoulet, and all sorts of delicacies from time to time.

Being under psycholgical stress is our worst enemy as far as weight is concerned.
Old 02-24-20, 10:04 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by yves845
To my dear Cyclesdales companions

I would just like to tell a few things about my life and weight. expecting to help some people.

Until my late 20, I was very reasonably fit, then I married and had 2 kids. My wife went "almost" nuts taking care of the newborns.

I had to stand acrimonious evening almost every days, with rants on my poor implication in taking care of the kids

To be honest I feeled, right or wrong, I needed to protect them from their pathologicaly angry mother

I took the bad habit of drinking a bit of alcohol to stand the situtation, with very high to moderate consumption.

I would also have to mention that my job is extremely stressful psycholgically, but now I work part time

By the way, I think I'm one of the world champions for biking full speed at night inhebriated.

My wife is still a strong advocates of a no kids life. I told her that I was very sorry bringing her to raise a girl and a son, and that all of this was my personnal fault.

2 month ago I decided to stop drinking, mostly because both of my kids are now really on their own.

I also told my wife about the situation, her reaction was : naturaly it's my fault again.

I warned her that I will never again be her "punching ball" against the difficulties of life.

I must say that whenever something goes wrong, my first reaction is feeling guilty of not being able to predict everything.

Since I stopped alcohol I'm lterally deflating. I plan to go bak to my 30's wheigth. I have to lose about 60 of your pounds.

Living in France and being well paid implies that my eating habits are by themselves healthy : almost no industrial processed food, fruits and vegetables dircet from the farm even if I indulge in fat ducks, cassoulet, and all sorts of delicacies from time to time.

Being under psycholgical stress is our worst enemy as far as weight is concerned.

Yves,

Your post hits close to home for me --- and you are very correct - I feel that being under psychological attack is a major contributor to cortisone production and inflammation that makes it hard to lose weight ---- I also love to drink too much and am trying to stop --- because although I am losing weight now, I know it would go much quicker if I stopped drinking

My partner and I are currently separated , and we have not had children --- but some of what you said echoes what I go through

everything is always my fault, I walk on eggshells all the time when with her and I feel like a punching bag at times too. I have told her "Im sorry" numerous times for things that I didn't even do, because it is impossible to rationalize with someone who is never wrong -- I just apologize for whatever it is that creates drama for her on a daily basis and move on

All of that makes it very hard not to drink --- but alas, people with addiction issues are also good at making excuses --- but psychological attacks are hard

Be proud of your children though brother, -- your wife's issues are sad, but you have two kids there that will hopefully contribute wonderfully to society and pass your namke along for generations to come, whether your wife appreciates that or not
I have tried and tried to have children with 2 partners now with no success, so I am happy for anyone else who has made it work !

Keep pedaling hard Yves -- you have a friend in the states !

- Doug
Old 02-25-20, 11:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
What ever happened with your cross-U.S. ride plans?
Old 02-27-20, 12:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I wasn't aware being well paid in France implies healthy eating.

Good to hear you stopped drinking and are focusing on your kids.
Old 02-27-20, 03:23 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
"Since I stopped alcohol I'm lterally deflating. I plan to go bak to my 30's wheigth. I have to lose about 60 of your pounds."

Yes, if you can lose 60 of my pounds I will be much happier. I'm not sure how we can accomplish this, but they're all yours if you can figure out how to do it.

Forgive me my small joke.

Best of luck on your program. Cutting back on alcohol is a very good start as it's not only the calories (or joules or whatever you use to estimate energy intake) in the wine and beer and cognac and Port,etc, it's also the myriad of lifestyle and inhibition issues involved with drinking. Of course, drinking encourages other sub-optimal behaviors like eating too much and riding your bicycle too fast without considering the possible consequences adequately. Also encourages a tendency towards lassitude or ennui. I write of these things from long experience. In fact, I find myself in a similar situation right now as it's looking as though if I don't get my weight under control I have a very good chance of developing type II diabetes. Cut way back on the drinking and binge eating that goes along with it and am down about 10 of your kilograms in the last 8 weeks. Lots of miles on the bikes, too. Would have been more if not for a couple weeks' long bout with pneumonia, even though vaccinated.

I don't know what your goal weight is, but 60 lbs (27 kilos?) does not sound like an unreasonable goal. Particularly as you are already in deflation. Look forward to the days to come when you no longer need to deflate and can control your urges to inflate and you can just flate along. Flation. That's what I want.
Old 03-01-20, 10:14 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Dude, your post broke my heart. I feel for you as I was in similar shoes once, and my weight is still a problem.

things can get better. Start with you. Biking is a great path to your recovery.
Old 03-09-20, 02:13 AM
yves845

Originally Posted by indyfabz
What ever happened with your cross-U.S. ride plans?
It will be next year
This year I'll do a month trip to eastern Europe
At first weight loss !

It'going to take something lik 6 month(es?)
I'm tweaking my bike for easy flight (MKS ez Pedals and an Humpert Ergotec foldable handle bar)

My other major hobby (sound reproduction/audiophile stuff) is extremely time consuming. I started from ground building a dedicated room.
And I'm currently tweaking the acoustic.
Old 03-09-20, 02:19 AM
yves845

Originally Posted by desconhecido
"Since I stopped alcohol I'm lterally deflating. I plan to go bak to my 30's wheigth. I have to lose about 60 of your pounds."

Yes, if you can lose 60 of my pounds I will be much happier. I'm not sure how we can accomplish this, but they're all yours if you can figure out how to do it.

Forgive me my small joke.

Best of luck on your program. Cutting back on alcohol is a very good start as it's not only the calories (or joules or whatever you use to estimate energy intake) in the wine and beer and cognac and Port,etc, it's also the myriad of lifestyle and inhibition issues involved with drinking. Of course, drinking encourages other sub-optimal behaviors like eating too much and riding your bicycle too fast without considering the possible consequences adequately. Also encourages a tendency towards lassitude or ennui. I write of these things from long experience. In fact, I find myself in a similar situation right now as it's looking as though if I don't get my weight under control I have a very good chance of developing type II diabetes. Cut way back on the drinking and binge eating that goes along with it and am down about 10 of your kilograms in the last 8 weeks. Lots of miles on the bikes, too. Would have been more if not for a couple weeks' long bout with pneumonia, even though vaccinated.

I don't know what your goal weight is, but 60 lbs (27 kilos?) does not sound like an unreasonable goal. Particularly as you are already in deflation. Look forward to the days to come when you no longer need to deflate and can control your urges to inflate and you can just flate along. Flation. That's what I want.
Since 1,5 month, it's at best a kilogram per week, with some "inflating accidents" : unfortunately, nothing beats booze, sometimes, with the exception of endorphins after a long trip.
Old 03-09-20, 02:25 AM
yves845

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I wasn't aware being well paid in France implies healthy eating.

Good to hear you stopped drinking and are focusing on your kids.
Healthy, non processed food costs a bit more than eating frozen pizzas and industrial hamburgers and it takes more time to prepare too.

Bytheway there's not much difference between cheap vodka and aged Single Malt Islay but the price.

As for my 2 kids they are now totally on their own, as much as kids can be, which is never really totally...
Old 03-09-20, 08:26 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Bytheway there's not much difference between cheap vodka and aged Single Malt Islay but the price.

Correct --- from a sheer nutritional standpoint. Your body recognizes and processes both as a foreign invading poison
Likes For DMC707:
Old 03-09-20, 04:00 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Healthy, non processed food costs a bit more than eating frozen pizzas and industrial hamburgers and it takes more time to prepare too.

As for my 2 kids they are now totally on their own, as much as kids can be, which is never really totally...
Food and money, the bane of the dieter. Good food and good for you food cost money. Bad food and bad for you food can taste great, but there is a reason it is cheap...

More than price, TASTE!!!

I'm pleased that FINANCIALLY, my adult children are doing better than I am. But I am most pleased that with both in their 30s, they still like to ask my advice... Even if they don't like the answers.
Likes For zjrog: