Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading LV

Old 11-26-19, 05:29 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
I'm struggling tonight.....found out my friend was the victim of the hit in run in Escondido the other day, Car was out of control in blind corner and was on wrong side of the road. He was on going to the MTB trail when struck and killed upon impact. The driver ditched the car 1/2 mile away and ran.
Oh my god! I'm so sorry to hear about your friend! Hit run is a modern scourge, drives me insane.

So last week I had jury duty and usually it's a ***** fest from me from minute 1 until I'm done. Then they tell us what it's about (some youngish guy hit and ran with property damage) and I was suddenly very interested being on the jury. Made it all the way up to Juror #18 before they sat the panel, so I have no idea what happened. I never wrote down the case number so I can't figure out how to look it up on line. Dammit.
Likes For TrojanHorse:
Old 11-27-19, 11:31 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I took the day off work yesterday, was a good mental day off from the work load. thought about riding but when I woke up I wasn't feeling it though it was the last sunny day of the week. I went to gun range instead for 3 hours. Range therapy is always good. On the way I drove along the coast and saw many cyclist out enjoying them selves and was good pick me up mood to see that.

One of my friends on facebook posted this morningI AM A CYCLIST

I am a father, a mother, a daughter, son, friend, acquaintance or just a random stranger…. I am a cyclist…
I choose to live life…I choose to ride my bike…I want to enjoy the freedom that being on a bike gives you.
I ride to work… I ride for the social aspect…I ride to be healthy…I ride to compete…I ride to loose weight…I ride for fun…I ride to find peace…
When the rubber of my bike meets the road, I forget about the stresses in life, cell phones, emails, texts, fake lives all over social media, problems at home, politics, and daily stresses of life…
It’s my quiet place… it’s my sanctuary…when riding with my friends in that moment, those miles….we are all the same…speeds, abilities no longer matter…we are all there to do one thing, ride, be safe… get home…I want to ride tomorrow…I want to ride again and again…
Yet when I get on get on my bike, I know not what the road is going to bring me…the trip…the miles…the destination…the return…I need to get back safely to my family…they await me…they expect me to be there…I have a wife, a husband, children, friends…I have a family…I have a job…I follow the rules of the road…safety is paramount…always on the defense…looking, hearing for cars…are they on their cell phones? Are they distracted? Did they have a good day? Are they mad at someone or a situation? Are they texting? Have they been doing drugs? Are they sad? Will they see me? Am I bright enough? Do they see my lights? Am I visible?
I love to ride because it brings together so many people who have different goals…
Riding does so many things for some…whether it’s a way out of depression, overcoming addictions, adversity, finding new friends, feeling the air in our face, setting new goals, seeing new places….it allows us the opportunity to get out of the daily rut and grinds of life….it makes us feel alive…
I tell you this because I can no longer ride…please…continue to ride for me…ride for my family… ride for my friends…ride for all of those cyclists that did not make it home today….continue to advocate for all of us who can no longer ride…please continue to ride…continue to carry me and all of the cyclists on your journeys…We are with you….we are just riding on a different road….I am a cyclist.-
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 11-27-19, 08:37 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
After over a month of being inactive due to a pinched nerve in my back that also included horrible pain in my right leg, I did a 54 mile easy ride today. Felt great to be on my bike again. And the weather here was gorgeous today.
Glad to hear you’re feeling good!
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 11-27-19, 08:41 PM
jimincalif

I'm struggling tonight.....found out my friend was the victim of the hit in run in Escondido the other day, Car was out of control in blind corner and was on wrong side of the road. He was on going to the MTB trail when struck and killed upon impact. The driver ditched the car 1/2 mile away and ran.
So sorry to hear this jsigone, so shocking when it strikes so close to home.
Old 11-27-19, 10:02 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Very sad news jsigone May he rest in peace.

Hit and run has become an epidemic in California. The laws need to be seriously toughened up and penalities/punishments made very harsh.
​​​
​​​​
Old 11-28-19, 09:37 AM
jimincalif

Here is an article about Kevin and the crash. A young father too, just horrific.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-as-family-man
Old 11-28-19, 09:22 PM
tunavic

Lots of hit and runs in California. Here's a story about a teacher that killed a cyclist and ran away. She was arrested Tuesday in Palm Desert. Note: the video is tough to watch

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...pdEQklkoY3HYb0
Old 11-28-19, 11:02 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope you set your scales back 15 pounds this morning
Old 12-01-19, 01:23 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
Very sad news jsigone May he rest in peace.
Hit and run has become an epidemic in California. The laws need to be seriously toughened up and penalities/punishments made very harsh.
​​​​
"Gavin's Law" is somewhere in the state legislature and seeks to make the penalties for running from a crash at least as severe as the probable reason they're fleeing the crash (e.g. DUI etc).
Old 12-01-19, 05:58 PM
tunavic

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
"Gavin's Law" is somewhere in the state legislature and seeks to make the penalties for running from a crash at least as severe as the probable reason they're fleeing the crash (e.g. DUI etc).
Thanks and here's a link for anyone who wants more info about Gavin's Law
https://www.gavinslaw.com/
Old 12-02-19, 11:41 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Seems like if the car was ditched, it shouldn't be hard for police to track down the driver -- unless it was stolen I guess

I was once in a crazy accident (not on a bike), driving a rental car in St Louis, I see this car coming at me with a driver side door open and a kid hanging out, swerving across the line towards me. I had no time to react; I remember the kid's red shirt and thinking he's going to get cut in half by that door. When the car bounced off my car's side somehow the kid got thrown clear over the top. Turns out it was his car, he saw a friend on the sidewalk and stopped to get out and talk to him, left the car running and a tweeker tried to steal it. The kid was trying to wrestle the car thief out of his car.

Point is, after the crash, the car proceeded out of control down an alley that was crowded with construction equipment, and crashed. Thief ran away on foot (and according to the police helicopters that were there shortly, missing one shoe), so the ditched car reminded me of my incident.
Old 12-02-19, 12:11 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Seems like if the car was ditched, it shouldn't be hard for police to track down the driver -- unless it was stolen I guess
they arrested him on Thanksgiving morning. Was on probation and got him for drug & weapon charges too.
Old 12-09-19, 06:54 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
There's a new one of these, so I'll go ahead and close the door on this one.