Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 11-01-19, 07:44 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 108 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 835:

35F this morning. First morning above freezing in a week. I felt like a wild man.

Left the house on the road bike and in the first half mile it started sleeting. T thought about turning around and switching to the hybrid with fenders. The forecast didn't have much in the way of precipitation, so I decided to press on and try my luck. After a while it switched from sleet to just sprinkles. By the time I arrived I don't think there was enough moisture on the ground that fenders would have made any difference, so I won that bet.

On the way to the client's location I stopped by the hospital for my regular blood thickness check. I was in range again (which is a good thing.) I always feel weird walking into the coagulation waiting room as there are a lot of people in really bad condition sitting there, and in I stroll with my helmet and all my gear. They're always amazed that I ride my bicycle, so I think I'm the only patient they have that does so. Sometimes I wonder that perhaps if some of these people were riding their bicycles they may not be patients?
Old 11-01-19, 07:46 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Originally Posted by arsprod
Apparently now unlucky! Same here - yesterday morning was 44F and rain, by 4:00 is was low 30's, snowing, and 20mph winds. This morning 25F but at least the winds have abated and the sun is out. Had a first this morning, my rear brake froze on. I've had levels get stuck but this was the brake caliper sticking after pulling. I had to got off and physically push it back. I think it was a combination of rain yesterday, lots of wet leaves, and then 20 degree temp drops. Good thing we have 2 brakes!
I've had that. I think moisture gets into the cable housing and then freezes, causing the brakes to stick. I've even had it happen mid-ride where I start off fine and after a few miles I no longer have brakes.
Old 11-01-19, 07:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
Clearing and windy last night, clear, calm, and frosty this morning. First day this winter I've worn (1) wool jersey, (2) tights, (3) jacket. I knew I was on the MUP, despite the leaves, when I hit all the bumps in the pavement.

Just to clarify, I've had 30° temperature changes between morning and afternoon, and 40° from day to day. What surprised me was how fast it dropped -- normally that 30° drop means it drops 4° per hour for 8 hours, rather than 15° in one hour, and then 5° over the next 8 hours.

OT: We had a court case a while back against the engineers who designed a bridge for My Fair City, and couldn't believe the temperature could swing so widely, so fast. A couple years where the temperature swung 40° in 24 hours a few times a year, and the bridge started cracking. I think it was a politically directed contract to some engineer donors who lived on the coast. Either go local or find someone who's smart enough to look at local conditions!
Old 11-01-19, 07:59 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Rode twice this week. Mornings have cooled off. 20 degrees and yesterday was 24. Overdressing a little so I'll need to tweak the jersey under the jacket some. Tough part is having the right clothes for the afternoon ride home. Been running three headlights to help with the gravel miles. Two on the bars and one on the helmet. No school yesterday so I thought traffic would be a little lighter. Nope, more traffic then normal. Deer are starting to move more in and out of the hayfields so I have to be vigilant. Almost got clipped by a doe yesterday on the run.
Strava is pissing me off so I may drop it. It will start recording and then stop for up to a mile, then start back in. It's in the same bag, same location, same times of day and the same routine. Hit start, watch for two seconds to tick off and then slip it into the tank bag and start moving right away so it doesn't stop. Upload when I stop and it's skipped a portion.
Old 11-01-19, 08:00 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
On the way to the client's location I stopped by the hospital for my regular blood thickness check. I was in range again (which is a good thing.) I always feel weird walking into the coagulation waiting room as there are a lot of people in really bad condition sitting there, and in I stroll with my helmet and all my gear. They're always amazed that I ride my bicycle, so I think I'm the only patient they have that does so. Sometimes I wonder that perhaps if some of these people were riding their bicycles they may not be patients?
I had some similar thoughts going through rehab a couple years ago. It's tempting to let resentment take over -- why am I here when I've been so good? But then I'd stop to remember that I was still there, against the odds, and I could live with that. (Literally!)

Back to topic: My doctor told me the only reason I'm still alive is all the cycling I'd been doing. I figure that includes commuting by bike, as that's 1/3 to 2/3 of my riding every year.
Old 11-01-19, 08:01 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I've had that. I think moisture gets into the cable housing and then freezes, causing the brakes to stick. I've even had it happen mid-ride where I start off fine and after a few miles I no longer have brakes.
Exactly, happened after about 20 minutes. Bizarre!
Old 11-01-19, 08:33 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I had some similar thoughts going through rehab a couple years ago. It's tempting to let resentment take over -- why am I here when I've been so good? But then I'd stop to remember that I was still there, against the odds, and I could live with that. (Literally!)

Back to topic: My doctor told me the only reason I'm still alive is all the cycling I'd been doing. I figure that includes commuting by bike, as that's 1/3 to 2/3 of my riding every year.
Similar situation here. My cycling allowed me to delay my open heart surgery by at least a decade, and allowed me to bounce back in 6 weeks what it takes most patients at least 6 months to accomplish.

When I was in intensive care the nurse was reviewing my history and all my stats. I remember him saying, "You're not unhealthy, you're just unlucky!"
Old 11-01-19, 08:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
Wednesday night, I saw three live rats. Yuck. One of them ran right in front of my front tire.

Yesterday, there was a lot of rain in the forecast, and we didn't end up getting much rain at all, which is fine.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-01-19, 12:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
My cycling was a convenient gauge for how close I was getting to surgery. Slower and slower, more and more pain, more and more medicine... :-/ It's been 8 months since mine and I'm pretty nearly back to normal. Normal load of chores and work. I'm not doing push-ups, though. Very rarely get some soreness or a little stab on sudden breath intake. And cardio wise, I'm a LOT better though still don't feel perfect. I guess my worst day now is about like my best day before.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-04-19, 07:52 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Back to the Monday. But it is light earlier now. This is nice, but it will be getting dark by the time I get home.
I left about an hour early and went to the gym for a bit on the way in. I pass an elementary school at about 6:15am and am surprised to see several buses pulling out then. Maybe they are doing high school pick-ups first as I think the younger grades start a bit later.

Nice sunrise. Decent traffic.
Old 11-04-19, 08:26 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
The cold front hit my area last night. It was 70F+ at 5pm and 35F at 7am. I drove yesterday and was glad to not be biking when at 5:05pm the wind got strong and the rain got heavy. It was a bit scary driving. And it continued like that for about 1.5 hours. It was messing up all kinds of trick or treating plans in the area. It seemed to be not so bad after 6:30 or so, but still windy.

Clear and no wind this morning, but chilly out as we got below 40 again for the second time this season.

463 miles for October. Almost 4,700 for the year. Another 8-900 miles will put me around 5,500 for 2019. I keep thinking one of these years I'll get closer to 6,000, but between holidays, vacation, weather, and other needs, there are too many days I don't ride.
that is still nothing to complain about. Good mileage none the less. I hear you. I have to drive almost all Wednesdays and that really cuts down on my mileage. Now it is dark on the way in and dark on the way home.

I saw 28F this morning and did not wear toe warmers or at least put some plastic in there. Toes have been tingling all morning. Should be dark on the way home... winter riding here we go. I could not find a pair of gloves this morning so I left later than I wanted too. FINALLY found them in the back of my jacket.

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 11-04-19 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-04-19, 10:21 AM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Evening Commute 10/28/19 - 63°F, 5.78 miles in 32 min

Morning Commute 10/29/19 - 52°F, 5.55 miles in 30 min
Evening Commute 10/29/19 - 60°F, 5.95 miles in 31 min

Morning Commute 10/30/19 - 56°F & rain, 5.42 miles in 32min
Evening Commute 10/30/19 - 60°F & light rain, 6.1 miles in 31 min - My shoes were still soaked from the morning so I road home wearing my office dress shoes. Been commuting home in my office clothes quite a bit lately since the weather has been getting cooler rather than changing back into my gear.

Morning Commute 10/31/19 - 54°F, 6.41 miles in 40 min (forgot to pause recording when I ran into the grocery store for a moment)
Evening Commute 10/31/19 - 31°F, 6.1 miles in 37 min

Morning Commute 11/1/19 - 28°F, 8.41 miles in 55min
Evening Commute -- Actually I ended up leaving work early (just after 11:00 AM) to help my wife deal with our apt complex because the heat had gone out, I ended up putting in about 10 miles between various errands before all was said and done, so about 1hr and 5 min of running around between home, the bank, grocery store, etc.

Morning Commute 11/4/19 - 35°F, 5.4 miles in 30 min.

I was running about 5 minutes faster on average with my old bike, than the new one. I'm chalking most of it up to the trigger shifters that despise downshifting. I end up spinning in lower gears a lot more just so I can be in a lower gear for a take off at the next stop. With the Trek and it's grip shifts I could cycle through gears a lot more quickly than these particular trigger shifters seem to allow.
Old 11-05-19, 08:01 AM
mgw4jc

Forgot to mention yesterday that I noticed a house has Christmas lights already. Never too early for some folks I guess.

Boy it got dark early yesterday afternoon - 5:30 or so. I didn't notice it Sunday just hanging around the house. When I got home I posted on Facebook, "Is anybody looking into the global darkening situation?" I'm so funny.

Good ride in this morning - in the daylight that went missing yesterday afternoon. I left a good 10 minutes early, got a couple of extra miles, and stopped at a park for the bathroom and a quick snack. A bit warmer this morning at 45 too, so I got away without long pants.
Old 11-05-19, 10:37 AM
pdlamb

Not quite so cool this morning. Somehow the ride seemed more crisp, clear, and beautiful than the last week or so. I don't really know what was different -- caught up on my sleep, at ease with work and the world, or … ? But I enjoyed the ride more than usual, even where the tree roots are cracking the pavement.
Old 11-05-19, 11:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
First ride home in the dark of this autumn. My new light on my handlebars is great. My old light that I moved to my helmet is not keeping up. Looking up the trail, it does not make any more light than the "spill" from the handlebars unless it's a really sharp turn.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-05-19, 01:52 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

much warmer this morning. nice ride in. My garmin is messing up regarding being able to read maps from the sd card. so weird.
Old 11-05-19, 02:29 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 837:

21F this morning. I think I'm starting to get my winter skin as it didn't feel as cold as the same temps did last week. Saw my first patch of ice of the season.

High today is only supposed to be 35F. Wind shifting around so I get to fight it in both directions. There's talk of snow for the commute home, but I doubt it will amount to much.

Supposed to get colder as the week progresses. Thursday morning is supposed to be 12F with a high of 29F.

After more than 10 years of use the battery in the computer on my hybrid appears to be finally running out of juice. That was an impressive run.
Old 11-05-19, 05:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Hot and sweaty!

I got to college and started working in the library and realized I had forgotten my computer charging cord. I can't go the whole day without it, so I had to ride back home and get it. It's 5 miles each way. My body is tired.

It's almost completely cloud-covered, and my GPS tracks have me hitting impossible peak speeds. I hit 36 mph (impossible) at one point and even 50 mph. And to "achieve" that, ridewithgps thinks I slowed to very slow speeds before and after those peaks.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-06-19, 05:56 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 79 Posts
A very pleasant commute in with the temp at 39 f degrees. Dark with the skies starting to lighten as I arrived at work. I guess the ride home will be light as I start work at 6:30 and leave at 3 pm so lots of light when I leave. Which will help extend the ride.
Old 11-06-19, 08:19 AM
mgw4jc

Warm enough for shorts again, but cool enough for a jacket. Clear skies made it light enough to wear sunglasses for the ride in, but I brought the clear lens glasses for the ride home.

Looks like the cool down happening with you Midwesterners is heading south. We have had highs in the mid to upper 60s, but Friday's and Saturday's high will only be 50 or under. Not too bad, but a big drop for the weekend.
Old 11-06-19, 08:38 AM
pdlamb

Autumn hasn't been that much to look at here; it was too dry and hot in September, and too wet in October, for much fall color.

That said, I found a corner where the oaks and maples both managed some brilliance. It's not a mountainside, but it's a roadside of fall!

Originally Posted by noglider
It's almost completely cloud-covered, and my GPS tracks have me hitting impossible peak speeds. I hit 36 mph (impossible) at one point and even 50 mph. And to "achieve" that, ridewithgps thinks I slowed to very slow speeds before and after those peaks.
Sounds like your urban canyons are interfering with the GPS signal, right? The easy prescription would be to fall back to a traditional wired or wireless speedometer/cyclocomputer. But if you're as gadget-happy as I get sometimes, maybe it's time to add a speed sensor!
Old 11-06-19, 08:45 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Ice. Lots and lots of ice. A thin layer completely covered the ground making the roads treacherous. For some reason the city didn't put down pre-treatment (even on the main roads) so traffic was pretty gridlocked as cars struggled to get up hills.

I probably should have ridden the winter bike with studded tires, but I have been lax in getting it ready for the season so it is still in storage. I dropped tire pressure on my new fat bike and rode slowly. Went around one corner and lost traction, but managed to keep the bike upright. I was only going about 5 mph anyway, so it wouldn't have been a spectacular crash.

The MUP was in worse shape than the streets as far as ice. I went super slow as there's a lot of curves. On one hairpin (where I've gone down in past winters) I decided to just hit the ditch and ride through the weeds rather than risk the icy pavement. That's one benefit to a fat bike.

Temp was 26F and there was a 15 mph headwind. Between that and the ice it took me a full 1/2 hour to ride the 4 miles to work.

Old 11-06-19, 08:51 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Drove today because of family obligations and they are calling for rain tomorrow with much colder temps moving in Friday.

need to make a decision about a gym and or setting up the trainer and paying for Zwift.
Old 11-06-19, 09:27 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Ice. Lots and lots of ice. A thin layer completely covered the ground making the roads treacherous. For some reason the city didn't put down pre-treatment (even on the main roads) so traffic was pretty gridlocked as cars struggled to get up hills.

I probably should have ridden the winter bike with studded tires, but I have been lax in getting it ready for the season so it is still in storage. I dropped tire pressure on my new fat bike and rode slowly. Went around one corner and lost traction, but managed to keep the bike upright. I was only going about 5 mph anyway, so it wouldn't have been a spectacular crash.

The MUP was in worse shape than the streets as far as ice. I went super slow as there's a lot of curves. On one hairpin (where I've gone down in past winters) I decided to just hit the ditch and ride through the weeds rather than risk the icy pavement. That's one benefit to a fat bike.

Temp was 26F and there was a 15 mph headwind. Between that and the ice it took me a full 1/2 hour to ride the 4 miles to work.

AWESOME Fatbike Keep on Rolling @tundraman
Old 11-06-19, 10:08 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Autumn hasn't been that much to look at here; it was too dry and hot in September, and too wet in October, for much fall color.

That said, I found a corner where the oaks and maples both managed some brilliance. It's not a mountainside, but it's a roadside of fall!

Sounds like your urban canyons are interfering with the GPS signal, right? The easy prescription would be to fall back to a traditional wired or wireless speedometer/cyclocomputer. But if you're as gadget-happy as I get sometimes, maybe it's time to add a speed sensor!
In upstate New York, where I spend weekends, the colors are spectacular. Sorry they're not where you are.

My theory is that cloud cover distorts the speed readings and the urban canyons distorts the path I'm on. When it's sunny, I am shown riding through buildings but not usually varying widely in speed. I've thought about adding a speed sensor, but it would only work on one bike, and I have too many bikes. But I've decided that speed isn't really that important. It's interesting, for sure, but when I see distortions like these, I learn to ignore them. I'm really interested in tallying miles, and it's accurate enough for that. I love gadgetry, but I have to draw the line somewhere, or I'd be buying too much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.