Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking for a newer bike

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Looking for a newer bike

Old 11-29-20, 08:09 PM
Joshman380

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a newer bike

So I've been riding a 2014 Giant Revel for a while now, and realizing maybe I want a little better. Rather than just picking a bike, I'd rather ask a few questions first.

I'm into trail riding, nothing too intense, not into scaling rocks or boulders. I'm looking for a bike that can handle the impact of a jump without the front suspension bottoming out, or the entire fork breaking. I also want a bike that's stable on offroad terrain at higher speeds. I don't want to worry about eating dirt because of catastrophic failure.

I'm pretty sure I want front and back disc brakes..seems to be the better way to go vs your typical cantilever brakes.

As far as suspension, full, would be nice, but I'm finding they tend to be a little more expensive than a hardtail. That being said, I'm not opposed to a hardtail either. Familiarity with the ride is a good thing.

Back to the forks: It seems most of the reviews of the SR Suntour line of forks seem to suggest that they are unfavorable for the type of riding I like. Unfortunately, most of the bikes I've ever considered seem to all have sone version of SR Suntour forks. Am I misinformed about their products?

And finally, budget. I certainly don't want or expect "cheap" by any means. But any more than $700 is out of my budget. Used bikes are acceptable as long as they don't seem thrashed, so I often skim the local ads.

Thoughts? TIA!!!
Josh
Old 11-30-20, 10:49 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Maybe the Giant Talon 2 would be a good fit here and you could update the fork at a later date.

Very difficult to hit all the needs here and still be under budget. Some compromise will likely have to be made unless you stumble upon someone really underselling their used bike.

The Talon 1 does sport a better shock but is over your budget number.
Likes For Cpn_Dunsel:
Old 12-01-20, 02:16 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
Maybe the Giant Talon 2 would be a good fit here and you could update the fork at a later date.

Very difficult to hit all the needs here and still be under budget. Some compromise will likely have to be made unless you stumble upon someone really underselling their used bike.

The Talon 1 does sport a better shock but is over your budget number.
I rented a 2020 Talon 2 last summer on a trip to Colorado. Did some pretty challenging trails with long steep ascents and fast, rocky, rooty descents. The Talon 2 was perfect for a guy like me who wants to have fun without doing anything insane — no big jumps or drops, etc. I actually liked it a lot better than the much pricier Co-Op DRT 3.2 full suspension bike I had rented for a previous trip out west. The Talon felt lighter, climbed better and I noticed no significant improvement in comfort or handling with the full suspension bike. Certainly not worth an extra $1,500 for what I used it for.
Old 12-01-20, 02:21 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2966 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 764 Posts
$700 doesn't get you much. And yes...Suntour forks are junk. The cheapest Rockshox fork is better than the most expensive Suntour fork.

Last edited by prj71; 12-01-20 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-19-20, 05:52 PM
Joshman380

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update

First off thank you all for your suggestions. Spent a little time looking for a used Giant Talon 2..hard to find it seems. New is $650..a little too much for my budget.

Just today, I found a 2007 Giant Ranier for initially $520, but I got him down to $450. Bought it from a bike shop, so it was all tuned up and ready to go. It came with half clip, half flat pedals, and wanted full flats. Got a set from him for an extra $45.

I look forward to taking it on the trail. First impressions versus my 2014 Giant Revel are night and day. Much better forks, adjustable 100mm travel. Plus the frame is the proper size for my height, whereas the Revel has an XL frame with 26" tires. Workable but awkward for a 5'9 guy.
Old 12-19-20, 05:59 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I have a Giant FS and really like it. But if I were to replace it, I wouldn't waste my money on Full Suspension again. A hard tail, for me anyway, gives me much more control when thrashing down mountains. And yes, disc front and rear are a must these days. You got you a good one there. Enjoy and Merry Xmas!
Old 12-20-20, 07:53 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
$700 for a bike with a fork that will handle jumping means you need to stick to the used market. most of the new bikes in that price range come with a flimsy pogo stick of a fork. if you want a new bike that checks those boxes, you'll need to double your budget.