Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fake commute?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Fake commute?

Old 04-05-21, 11:58 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Fake commute?

I haven't visited this subforum regularly for a while, so forgive me if this has already been covered.

I had been biking to work several days a week for about 12 years Before. Now it's been over a year since I've even been allowed to go in to the office. I've ridden by a few times on weekends. Last March and April, I was in full lockdown mode, not leaving the house unless it was necessary, though still riding the bikes on weekends because that felt necessary. Around May I started trying to work in midday rides, but it never really clicked. Something always felt more urgent. Now, a year in to the working at home routine, I'm feeling the pent up stress chasing me like an avalanche, so I've been looking at what I can do. Biking to and from work always used to be an important part of my stress management routine. The obvious answer then, was to start biking to work again, right?

I've got a home office that is physically separated from the rest of the house. I have to walk through the garage to get to it. That 20 foot walk has been my commute for the past year, but a couple of weeks ago I started trying to add a detour into the commute -- taking the long way to work as it were. I've mapped out a few 5-10 mile loops around my house. I'm still struggling to establish this as a regular routine, but it feels great on the days I do it, so I think I'll get there.

Here's a picture from my "commute" this morning.

(Ah, the majestic suburban power lines!)

It's kind of nice not needing to carry anything more than a spare tube, tire levers, a pump, and a patch kit.

Is anyone else doing this?
Old 04-05-21, 01:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
I also haven't had anywhere to commute to since the lockdown. I have to put most bike rides into my calendar now. But they're awfully nice rides.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-05-21, 01:56 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
I've done a couple round trips to the office without stopping. But I've found taking rides of a similar distance before work (in the summer) or around lunch time (in the winter) works pretty well for me. Just the opportunity to see more than my back yard is keeping me sane. (Well, relatively sane!) Redbuds are blooming here, some azaleas and dogwoods are starting to blossom, it's spring again!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-05-21, 04:12 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Near the start of the lockdown, I decided that my fake commute would consist of a long walk in my neighborhood. I start at the same time every day. It gets my blood flowing and keeps me on a regular schedule.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 04-06-21, 12:56 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by noglider
I also haven't had anywhere to commute to since the lockdown. I have to put most bike rides into my calendar now. But they're awfully nice rides.
Being able to improve the scenery is a nice feature of artificial commutes over the usual point-to-point. Unfortunately, where I am in the suburbs I have to ride a few miles to get out of the maze of cul-de-sacs and arterial roads. MUPs like the one I pictured above are the best option I have for a short ride,
Old 04-07-21, 04:49 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Not Fake

It's not a fake commute. I just look at it as new and improve type of commute. Happy commuting.
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 04-08-21, 11:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
I had a couple of fake commutes yesterday and today. Yesterday I dropped my spouse's car off at the repair garage and put my bike in the car. I sent a text to my morning meeting person to confirm we are on. I had a bit of time between leaving the garage and the appointment so I took a road that didn't take me home. I got a text from her saying she needed to postpone so that gave me even more time. I ended up doing 16 miles. The weather was nice, and the spring colors coming in were cheerful.

This morning I rode to the garage to pick the car up. I had my postponed appointment right after that, so I took a direct route there and back, but I rode vigorously and felt nice and strong. About 2.7 miles of riding.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-16-21, 10:09 AM
markeg1964

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. I'm also in Beaverton but I have been able to continue to work at my office - I guess we are essential. I started commuting on the bicycle a few years ago and really enjoy it. I find it easy to commute in the cold rain but find it hard to go for a "fun" ride when it is raining. Not commuting would make it hard to keep in shape.
Old 04-19-21, 02:25 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by markeg1964
Sounds like a good idea. I'm also in Beaverton but I have been able to continue to work at my office - I guess we are essential. I started commuting on the bicycle a few years ago and really enjoy it. I find it easy to commute in the cold rain but find it hard to go for a "fun" ride when it is raining. Not commuting would make it hard to keep in shape.
The rain thing is definitely an issue. Biking to work in the rain still sucks less than driving to work in the rain, but if we're talking about free time, as with recreational riding, there's often something I'd rather do than ride in the rain.
Old 04-20-21, 04:26 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
I hear ya'! The school where I teach just re-opened yesterday. Today was my first commute since March 13, 2000. My commute is just a bit over 4 miles each way, but the way in to work includes about 700' feet of climbing. Nice curvy road with good bike lanes. I sure missed the commute. I put on about 20 pounds since lockdown, so my waistline missed the commute, too. Even a short ride in the morning helps me reduce stress and clear my thoughts for the day.