Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does this look like a Reynolds decal?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does this look like a Reynolds decal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 03:04 PM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
Nice find ...
Old 04-16-21, 09:00 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 2,177 Posts
-----

thank you for the update!

machine's chainset not a Maxi

the Maxi is a series from Sugino and cycle's chainset is an SR Silstar series model from Sakae Ringyo

if you change the set you will not be able to reuse the spindle since it is three degree taper

as mentioned earlier, will be curious to learn the model marking on the spindle's centre section as there are three threads showing on the adjustable cup

this suggests a five series model intended for seventy mm shells has been fitted

thank you for the additional wheel information

-----
Old 04-17-21, 12:47 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I got the electrical tape off of the seat stays today - btw I reccomend denatured alcohol and a terry cloth towell- and found this. It looked like a hole, but it is a deep dimple. I had to probe it with a pointed tool to see if it penetrated the tube. It did not, but it is deep. This is the left side seat stay by the way.

What you find on old bikes. Sorry about the poor photo. I am thinking that this was damage from an overzealous mounting of a bottle generator.

Last edited by dweenk; 04-17-21 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-17-21, 03:26 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

juvela I pulled the bottom bracket apart this afternoon and cleaned the axle so I could read the width. It reads 5 K, and 180 degrees around reads 72-9. It is oversized for the bb width so why would it have been installed? It appears to be original, so I just figure it was what was on hand at the time.
Left side was lefty-loosey, right side was lefty-tighty. They and the caged bearings are soaking in mineral spirits now.

Last edited by dweenk; 04-17-21 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-18-21, 12:43 PM
dweenk

I can't seem to get a good photo of the bottom bracket, but here is what I have.

Anyway you can see that it is Tange. What you cannot see is that it is 1.37" x 24T.
Old 04-18-21, 12:57 PM
dweenk

After I clean the frame the Reynolds decals may be gone. Should I be vain and replace them, or just let it go? I am leaning toward letting it go.
Old 04-18-21, 02:09 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by dweenk
I can't seem to get a good photo of the bottom bracket, but here is what I have.

Anyway you can see that it is Tange. What you cannot see is that it is 1.37" x 24T.
-----

Aha!

as suspected, they empolyed a five series spindle intended for a 70-71mm shell; hence the three exposed threads on the adjustable cup

---

"
After I clean the frame the Reynolds decals may be gone. Should I be vain and replace them, or just let it go? I am leaning toward letting it go."

from what you hath writ thus far gain the impression the build plan is for a get-around-town sort of machine with a 1 X 6 drive train.
if this is correct see no reason to replace the transfers.

if you should ever wish to rework it in the furture with a differing application in mind then you may wish to consider transfers at that time...

-----
Old 04-18-21, 03:22 PM
dweenk

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Aha!

as suspected, they empolyed a five series spindle intended for a 70-71mm shell; hence the three exposed threads on the adjustable cup

---

"
After I clean the frame the Reynolds decals may be gone. Should I be vain and replace them, or just let it go? I am leaning toward letting it go."

from what you hath writ thus far gain the impression the build plan is for a get-around-town sort of machine with a 1 X 6 drive train.
if this is correct see no reason to replace the transfers.

if you should ever wish to rework it in the furture with a differing application in mind then you may wish to consider transfers at that time...

-----
Thank you. I intend to modify the drive train and the bars and shifters, and perhaps the brakes. By the way, the brazing and tack welds would make a Friday afternoon half drunk French production team proud.
Old 04-18-21, 03:36 PM
juvela

Thank you. I intend to modify the drive train and the bars and shifters, and perhaps the brakes. By the way, the brazing and tack welds would make a Friday afternoon half drunk French production team proud.
-----

this statement about brazing reminds me of an auld adage anent cycle frame production in France vs Italy

it goes something to the effect that one nation tends to do better work following its vino with lunch while the other tends to do worse work

can never recall which is which alas...

other readers are sure to be familiar with it

-----
Old 04-21-21, 11:15 AM
dweenk

Now I need to buy a new bottom bracket. It will certainly be a Shimano unit, but the question is spindle length. I have a nice pair, Sugino or SR two plateau sets. I would like some advice.
Old 04-21-21, 11:45 AM
juvela

Now I need to buy a new bottom bracket. It will certainly be a Shimano unit, but the question is spindle length. I have a nice pair, Sugino or SR two plateau sets. I would like some advice.
-----

earlier you mentioned a build plan for a 1 X 6 drive train

is this still valid or are you now considering going multi plateau?

can see no reason to purchase a BB

would expect those Tange cups which came with it to be nicely run in

if you wish to go single plateau you could simply replace the 5K spindle with number 3N nutted ("Type II") model. this is the model which gives a good chainline with single chainwheels. they began manufacturing them in the two Chinas some years back and new ones can be had for a pittance.

this would be just fine if you were going to go with a midliner sort of chainset such as a Super Maxy Sugino or an Apex from Sakae Ringyo.

if you have decided to go two plateau you would want spindle number 3S.

hope this assists a bit.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-21-21 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spellin'
Old 05-02-21, 01:23 PM
dweenk

I cleaned the cranks and chainrings today. It took soaking in lots of detergent and hot water, scrubbing times three, a putty knife. and 320 &1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I tossed the chainguard in the trash. The chainrings are in very good shape with little wear.
I'll use some Mother's mag polish on the arms and they should be good to go.
All of the salvagable little bright parts have spent a few days in an Evaporust bath and most of them came out looking OK. Brakes and derailleurs are still bathing. The only item that didn't look good is the chaistay cable stop. It must have been zinc plated - it's fine, but it looks dull.
I have decided to keep the bottom bracket for a couple of reasons:
1. It came with the bike, so it is free.
2. It works.
3. Did I mention that I am cheap?
4. It fits the newly cleaned up crank arms. OK, that's 4 reasons -not two.
Old 05-10-21, 12:39 PM
dweenk

I am putting the bike together now. So far I have not used any part that did not come with it as sold. I have the original drive train and ugly pedals. I think that I can use the original chain aswell as the clamp-on bits for cables. I also have the stem shifters (joy). I am going with the original brake blocks for now.

What I will need:
At least 1 tire, maybe 2
Inner cables for brakes & derailleurs (I may have a couple of cut-offs long enough for two applications maybe)
Some bar tape - my neighbor has a huge roll of cotton bias tape for binding fabric - she will sell me some for cheap.

Last edited by dweenk; 05-10-21 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-10-21, 01:34 PM
SchRadler

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki Riviera GT, 1984 Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 39 Posts
I stumbled across this thread today and was sad to have missed it earlier since I've been working on the same model that I picked up a few months ago. Mine was in better condition to start out, but cost me 3x as much at $100!

dweenk I've enjoyed your process pics and wish that I had taken more along the way. Here's the bike now--all original I believe except the bars (VO) and brake levers (Weinmann, seem like the right vintage) with some shots of the stem (Ava--as are the original drop bars) and the 531 decals on the frame and forks. And one of the Crane RD since I find that quite nice!

Old 05-10-21, 03:41 PM
dweenk

Yours is in much better shape. If the wheels are original, can you tell me the model of the rims and hubs? And can you take a photo of the non-drive side of the bottom bracket?

Last edited by dweenk; 05-10-21 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-11-21, 07:56 AM
SchRadler

dweenk I believe that the wheels on my bike are original. They're an unmatched pair, but the tires are original (labeled Made in Austria) so I am fairly confident this was the wheelset the bike came with.

Front is a Weinmann rim

Rear is a Rigida rim

And the hubs have no identifying info that I could see on the barrel or when I replaced the bearings. I'm not knowledgeable enough to identify them, but here are some photos.

And I'll grab the pic of the bottom bracket that you requested later today when I take the bike out for a lunchtime ride. I don't think I'd trust the nearly 50 year-old tires for a long ride, but I've been enjoying taking this bike out for short spins in my neighborhood. Lots of positive comments, especially about the color!
Old 05-11-21, 12:03 PM
SchRadler

dweenk Here's the pic you asked for of the adjustable cup side of the BB. Tried to get the text clear, but it's 1.37 x 24T. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see close up.

Old 05-11-21, 01:08 PM
dweenk

My spindle of course is over-sized, but I am using it.
I was re-assembling the crank arms and chain wheels today. I had all parts laid out on an old bath towell to keep them from being lost. Well, guess what - one bolt dissapeared, It was a miracle, the spacer and nut were still on the towell. So I now have a kludged crank assembly that pisses me off. One more first world problem.
Old 05-12-21, 09:25 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Sears likely copied that seat position from one of its early 19th century catalogs!
Notice that the stem on possibly all the images is twisted off to one side.
Throw it in front of the photographer and shoot it.
Old 05-12-21, 06:53 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by SchRadler
dweenk I believe that the wheels on my bike are original. They're an unmatched pair, but the tires are original (labeled Made in Austria) so I am fairly confident this was the wheelset the bike came with.

Front is a Weinmann rim

Rear is a Rigida rim

And the hubs have no identifying info that I could see on the barrel or when I replaced the bearings. I'm not knowledgeable enough to identify them, but here are some photos.

And I'll grab the pic of the bottom bracket that you requested later today when I take the bike out for a lunchtime ride. I don't think I'd trust the nearly 50 year-old tires for a long ride, but I've been enjoying taking this bike out for short spins in my neighborhood. Lots of positive comments, especially about the color!
-----

thanks very much for sharing this information

fine job with the photos

suspect rear wheel rebuilt with this present rim

would expect spoke head logos to differ between the the two wheels

it may be that rear wheel failed/collapsed/was struck and someone suggested to owner that a steel rim would be stronger...

are you able to make out the second character in the date mark of the rear rim

unable to be sure if it is a "3" or a "5"...

dweenk note the two threads he has showing on the adjustable bottom bracket cup - this example may have received a five series spindle as well(!)

the volk in Graz using up "what was in the bin"

-----
Old 05-12-21, 07:34 PM
SchRadler

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

thanks very much for sharing this information

fine job with the photos

suspect rear wheel rebuilt with this present rim

would expect spoke head logos to differ between the the two wheels

it may be that rear wheel failed/collapsed/was struck and someone suggested to owner that a steel rim would be stronger...

are you able to make out the second character in the date mark of the rear rim

unable to be sure if it is a "3" or a "5"...

dweenk note the two threads he has showing on the adjustable bottom bracket cup - this example may have received a five series spindle as well(!)

the volk in Graz using up "what was in the bin"

-----
Hard to get a good pic, but to me the date on the rear wheel looks more like a 73 than a 75. And the next time I have the bottom bracket apart for service, I'll look for the 5K marking on the spindle!

Last edited by SchRadler; 05-12-21 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-12-21, 07:49 PM
juvela

-----

Ah!

thanks so much for this additional image

-----
Old 05-13-21, 10:47 AM
dweenk

Originally Posted by SchRadler
I stumbled across this thread today and was sad to have missed it earlier since I've been working on the same model that I picked up a few months ago. Mine was in better condition to start out, but cost me 3x as much at $100!

dweenk I've enjoyed your process pics and wish that I had taken more along the way. Here's the bike now--all original I believe except the bars (VO) and brake levers (Weinmann, seem like the right vintage) with some shots of the stem (Ava--as are the original drop bars) and the 531 decals on the frame and forks.
That looks like my rear wheel -the same axle nuts, dork disk, and Shimano freewheel. Where it differs is that my rim is Araya 27x1 1/4w/ bHP. Spokes seem to be plated, maybe 15 ga. The hub is one piece. I still can't read the name, but it looks to be Sunshine or San Sin.

EDIT: Got the hub cleaned up enough to determine that it is a Normandy, probably 1976.

Last edited by dweenk; 05-13-21 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 12:25 PM
juvela

-----

SchRadler -

do not recognise the maker of your cycle's hubs

if curious, one possible you may wish to explore is that of WECO (Germany)

occasionally hub axles will bear a marking on their centre section...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 05-13-21 at 01:03 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-13-21, 12:31 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
It's also possible that Ted Williams liked to position his saddle that way.
Most likely cause he did not use a seat. Ted... A real All Star, still has a leading On-Base percentage. I wonder if he ever used the products he promoted with Sears.

Anyway... Nice BIKE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.