Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Soma Sport Japanese Bike Early 80s?

Old 04-14-21, 03:14 PM
led

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Soma Sport Japanese Bike Early 80s?

I have this Soma Sport bicycle that other than some dirt looks in good shape. I think it might be from 1981 judging from the serial no...81 2 74118. Wondering if it has any value. It has some SunTour components: V-GT Luxe derailleur, Super Maxy Crank set, Nitto Olympiade handlebars, Dia-compe brakes. It's not particularly light but seems well-made. I will get some more pics of the whole bike if anyone is interested in seeing.

Old 04-15-21, 07:50 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Not a high end but it does have value. As-is about $40-60, cleaned up and oiled maybe $125, cleaned and serviced perhaps $175 if all is well.
Old 04-16-21, 06:00 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle is a 1981 model, manufactured by Kuwahara of Japan. Typically, they were well manufactured, dependable bicycles. It is well appointed for it's original price point and was an upper entry level bordering on mid-range. This one appears to have been used sparingly and should clean up well. The one item hindering sale is the small frame size, for which the market is much smaller. If you're not familiar with working on bicycles, I'd just clean it and lubricate the chain. The cost of a professional servicing is rarely recouped.
Old 04-16-21, 07:19 AM
led

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you guys for the replies! I’ll clean it up and post some pics.
Old 10-10-23, 10:53 PM
Carrman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soma Sport

Just came across this post when searching for soma bikes. I had one and gave it away in a garage sale in Brentwood CA in 2006 and this bike looks exactly like mine. Would be crazy if it was! Always enjoyed riding it back in the day.
Old 10-11-23, 09:26 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I would say nicely cleaned up and well presented you could get $150 or so. Nice bike with some really good components the small size, downtube shifters, 27 inch wheels and lesser known brand will all hold down limit value and can't really be changed. As said I would cleanup and lube the chain and sell as is doing more is likely going to cost more than the $25-50 more you might get out of the bike. Bikes like this one are good deals for buyers in most markets but not so great for sellers.