Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel not spinning freely

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-14-21, 10:49 PM
Paddlecrab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All, My rear wheel is off my road bike, a Bontrager Pro 3, rim brakes. The wheel will spin freely until I set the quick release skewer. I don't over tighten it, but once the skewer is set, the wheel will only spin freely for a couple of revolutions. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-15-21, 12:00 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
It is likely to be the nuts being too tight, resulting in too much pressure on the bearings.

Take the wheel off, loosen the nuts a little, put it back on, and see what happens.
Old 04-15-21, 08:14 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If the wheel binds when the quick release is applied the bearing adjustment is too tight, or less likely, you have a broken axle.
Old 04-15-21, 11:43 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Bontrager used a few different hub designs on their branded wheels. The least expensive has has common loose ball (cup and cone) type bearings which will be adjustable and, BTW, benefit from annual regreasing. The more expensive wheels typically use cartridge bearings (often poorly termed "sealed bearings"). This type generally has more robust axles (less likely to be broken/bent) and the bearing maintenance is to replace the cartridge completely.

Both designs can have issues that result in a poor wheel spin. I do agree that the likely version you have is the least expensive cup and cone type. If so then you will need cone wrenches (likely 15mm) and a wrench that fits the lock nuts (usually 17mm). This type really wants the RH lock nut and cone to be well tightened against each other before doing the adjustments from the LH side. Sometmes this means removal of the cassette lock ring to access the RH lock nut and cone. This procedure then also requires a cassette lock ring removal tool and a chain whip to hold the cogs from spinning while the lock ring tool is turned. These tools will likely cost close to the service being done by a LBS. It's generally the second home servicing that tool costs are a savings compared to the shop doing the work. Good luck getting these tools in today's pandemic shortage of parts and tools available for sale.

BTW with either bearing design if the wheel has seen enough miles in the "bad" adjustment they are likely in currently, expect some bearing surface damage to be happening. All the more reason to plan on a complete servicing and not just a simple adjustment. Andy
Old 04-15-21, 03:23 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Those wheels use Bontrager internals which are pretty similar to the DT 3 pawl freehub internals. They aren't adjustable. I believe the only way what the OP is describing could happen is if the freehub spacer isn't on the axle.
Old 04-15-21, 09:53 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Those wheels use Bontrager internals which are pretty similar to the DT 3 pawl freehub internals. They aren't adjustable. I believe the only way what the OP is describing could happen is if the freehub spacer isn't on the axle.
This is heading toward the right direction. This is Bontrager's top-drawer road hub with press-fit sealed bearings.. Likely the schmoe who sold them to you took something apart and failed to put it back together properly. I can't tell you what's wrong with it without looking at the hub. Take it to a Trek dealer or a mechanic who has experience with these hubs.
Old 04-16-21, 09:12 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
This is heading toward the right direction. This is Bontrager's top-drawer road hub with press-fit sealed bearings.. Likely the schmoe who sold them to you took something apart and failed to put it back together properly. I can't tell you what's wrong with it without looking at the hub. Take it to a Trek dealer or a mechanic who has experience with these hubs.
The Aeolus is the high end wheel and it's hubs are DT 240 internals. The Pro series uses a 3 pawl freehub like the DT 370, the Aeolus uses the star ratchet system.
Old 04-16-21, 10:24 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
The Aeolus is the high end wheel and it's hubs are DT 240 internals. The Pro series uses a 3 pawl freehub like the DT 370, the Aeolus uses the star ratchet system.
RSL are the hubs with DT Swiss internals. Pro are a downgrade from this. Trek says the design is derived from DT Swiss.

None of this technical detail gets Andrew any closer to understanding why his wheel won't turn.