Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Asian Serial Number Guide

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Asian Serial Number Guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 04:56 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
If you go back go post #1, you'll see that the Zebrakenko entry directs you to entry D(1), which I believe may represent Kenko. The 2nd character appears to be the year indicator, while the 3rd could be a month or fortnight indicator. You report two serial numbers starting with DOX, suggesting the latter and that the frames were manufactured during the 24th fortnight of 1980. The one outlier to the interpretation is the D3B S/N on the 1978(?) storm. I'm wondering if the 3 might be a partially stamped 8? I'd appreciate an good, overall, drive side photo of each bicycle and the serial numbers.
Hi, thanks very much for the info! There is a thread from last year on Zebrakenko bikes here - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ebrakenko.html Another poster added a serial number for one as well - post #12 - https://www.bikeforums.net/21519401-post12.html

My post (#28) has photos (from the drive side) of the bikes with the serial numbers I listed by color - https://www.bikeforums.net/21721993-post28.html The blue Blue Sky was not a great bike, and I sold it. It had stamped drop outs, etc. I will try and get photos of the serial numbers.

Do you think Zebrakenko had their own factory, or had the frames made by another frame manufacturer?

Thanks again!
Old 03-20-21, 09:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Trueblood
Hi, thanks very much for the info! There is a thread from last year on Zebrakenko bikes here - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ebrakenko.html Another poster added a serial number for one as well - post #12 - https://www.bikeforums.net/21519401-post12.html

My post (#28) has photos (from the drive side) of the bikes with the serial numbers I listed by color - https://www.bikeforums.net/21721993-post28.html The blue Blue Sky was not a great bike, and I sold it. It had stamped drop outs, etc. I will try and get photos of the serial numbers.

Do you think Zebrakenko had their own factory, or had the frames made by another frame manufacturer?

Thanks again!
I went back and checked my database. Curiously, I've recorded a 1978 burgundy coloured Storm with what initially appeared to be serial number D3B0781, only one frame removed from yours! Closer examination indicated the '3" was actually a '8' , as you could just see separate curls to the left of the intersection of the top and bottom circles (see attached). Given the proximity of the two frames to each other, it would appear that the manufacture had a issue with the '8' stamp or the holder.

Regarding the manufacturer of your bicycles, I don't have a definitive answer. Zebra bicycles date back to 1901. Circa 1969 they merged with the Kenko brand to form Zebrakenko. They started USA distribution in the mid-1970s. I've seen some evidence suggesting that late 1970s model were being produced from the Kenko side of the operation. Whether this is true or was still true into the 1980s remains to be determined.
Old 03-20-21, 12:36 PM
Trueblood

I went back and checked my database. Curiously, I've recorded a 1978 burgundy coloured Storm with what initially appeared to be serial number D3B0781, only one frame removed from yours! Closer examination indicated the '3" was actually a '8' , as you could just see separate curls to the left of the intersection of the top and bottom circles (see attached). Given the proximity of the two frames to each other, it would appear that the manufacture had a issue with the '8' stamp or the holder.

Regarding the manufacturer of your bicycles, I don't have a definitive answer. Zebra bicycles date back to 1901. Circa 1969 they merged with the Kenko brand to form Zebrakenko. They started USA distribution in the mid-1970s. I've seen some evidence suggesting that late 1970s model were being produced from the Kenko side of the operation. Whether this is true or was still true into the 1980s remains to be determined.
Thanks again T-Mar, yeah, not sure about that #3 stamp thing. Other number 8 stamps seem to come through well, as with the 81 Thunder Mixte below and the 8 in the serial number photo you provided above. I don't think it is a scribal error, could the letter D perhaps interfere with the 8 due to spacing? I am adding the photos you requested of the serial numbers together with the drive side of each bike, starting with the burgundy 78 Storm. I was mistaken about the last three numbers, it appears to end in 700, not 780. I have always liked this era of Zebrakenko bikes aesthetically, both for the head badge and the lack of decals on the down tube. Around the end of 1981 they changed the head badge to a Zebra head and started adding the Zebrakenko name on the down tube, and every now and then you encounter one with the older lion head badge with the newer Zebrakenko decal on the downtube. Thanks!

1978 Storm - burgundy

1980 Storm - red

1981 Thunder mixte - burgundy

1977 Wind - black - please note that this frame was powder coated as the chrome sox were too far gone. It originally resembled this bike - https://www.bikeforums.net/21690954-post27.html Same chrome sox front and rear, brakes, crank, and wonderful ratcheted friction shifters.

I am limited to 10 images per post, so adding the last two on an additional post for the 1980 Blue Sky - blue.
Old 03-20-21, 12:37 PM
Trueblood

1980 Blue Sky - blue - Definitely a lower end bike, turkey wings, stem shifters, stamped dropouts. Nice color though.

Old 03-20-21, 11:54 PM
baguslho

Bikes: Nishiki International 1986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for source🙏
Old 03-22-21, 03:28 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Norco Monterey SL

This followed me home yesterday - Norco Monterey SL, Ishiwata EX tubing. Wheels are Sansin/Araya, bar/stem WIN, post Strong alloy (with a steel cradle), brakes DiaCompe, crank Sugino VP, rear mech Suntour 3040, it and the shifters say Accushift. Post is 26.8mm.

Serial decode / year and manufacturer?

Old 03-22-21, 06:01 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by oneclick
This followed me home yesterday - Norco Monterey SL, Ishiwata EX tubing. Wheels are Sansin/Araya, bar/stem WIN, post Strong alloy (with a steel cradle), brakes DiaCompe, crank Sugino VP, rear mech Suntour 3040, it and the shifters say Accushift. Post is 26.8mm.

Serial decode / year and manufacturer?
While I don't know the manufacturer or the serial number format, pending confirmation on the rear derailleur, my leading candidate is a 1988 model. Norco didn't introduce that logo style or the SL version of the Monterey until the mid-1980s. The seat tube logo wasn't added until after 1987 and the 3040 rear derailleur was introduced for the 1988 model year as a member of the Alpha series, being re-designated as Blaze 3040 for the 1989 model year. The rear derailleur doesn't resolve well in the photo but since you don't mention Blaze, I assume it's the 1988 Alpha version (see attached). Assuming this and reverse engineering the serial number format would suggest a 1988 model manufactured in late 1987.
Old 03-23-21, 04:32 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
While I don't know the manufacturer or the serial number format, pending confirmation on the rear derailleur
Rear mech is <alpha-character>3040.

I have seen at least one other similar serial for this model; only the last three digits differed.

I have not seen any photos of this model with a bare chrome fork - or indeed any plating. Is it a rairity or a replacement?

I have seen other same-model frames that are not Ishiwata EX - was it a particular year(s)' production?
Old 03-23-21, 06:09 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by oneclick
Rear mech is <alpha-character>3040.

I have seen at least one other similar serial for this model; only the last three digits differed.

I have not seen any photos of this model with a bare chrome fork - or indeed any plating. Is it a rairity or a replacement?

I have seen other same-model frames that are not Ishiwata EX - was it a particular year(s)' production?
If you've seen another Monterey SL with a serial number that differs only by the last 3 characters, it is likely from the same production lot. Therefore, the fork on that that bicycle would be the best indicator to tell you whether your fork is a replacement or original to the bicycle. .

You'll find the Monterey SL with Tange and Ishiwata tubing and different tubesets from those two manufacturers, depending on the year. For instance, in 1985 it used Tange #5, changed in 1986 to Ishiwata EXO and was downgraded to Ishiwata EX for 1987. Various factors come into play when selecting the tubeset such as frame builder preference, availability, pricing, etc. BTW, given the bicycles level, I wouldn't be surprised if your bicycle doesn't used the full Ishiwata tubeset and has hi-tensile stays and/or blades as a cost concession.
Old 04-25-21, 10:39 PM
Gold Country

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still can’t post pictures until I hit 10 posts and I can only do five per day before getting locked out. I’ll upload pictures tomorrow, but here’s my serial: R331034

The bike is a Bridgestone with a 3-speed hub.
Old 04-26-21, 06:52 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Gold Country
I still can’t post pictures until I hit 10 posts and I can only do five per day before getting locked out. I’ll upload pictures tomorrow, but here’s my serial: R331034

The bike is a Bridgestone with a 3-speed hub.
Based on the frame characteristics, in conjunction with the serial number, your bicycle would appear to be a 1974 model manufactured in late 1973. Pic assist...
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-26-21, 01:01 PM
Gold Country

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks T-Mar
Old 04-26-21, 01:06 PM
Gold Country

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
T-Mar , any idea what the model is? I’ve searched for 1974 Bridgestone and none of the pictures look similar. In fact, the lugging all looks different than this die cast model. I’m wondering if perhaps that is because all I’m coming across are pictures of 10-speed type bicycles.
Old 04-26-21, 04:52 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Gold Country
T-Mar , any idea what the model is? I’ve searched for 1974 Bridgestone and none of the pictures look similar. In fact, the lugging all looks different than this die cast model. I’m wondering if perhaps that is because all I’m coming across are pictures of 10-speed type bicycles.
Bridgestone wasn't widely distributed in the USA during this era. Most of the Bridgestone manufactured bicycles that came into the USA around this time were badged as Kabuki. Often Bridgestone and Kabuki models shared model names. The Kabuki 3 speed of this period was called the Commuter, so that may be the name of your bicycle.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-27-21, 06:03 PM
Gold Country

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar;[url=tel:22032773
22032773[/url]]Bridgestone wasn't widely distributed in the USA during this era. Most of the Bridgestone manufactured bicycles that came into the USA around this time were badged as Kabuki. Often Bridgestone and Kabuki models shared model names. The Kabuki 3 speed of this period was called the Commuter, so that may be the name of your bicycle.
Gotcha, thanks again! I got it in trade from my buddy’s dad. He got it in trade in the 70s from a Japanese guy. That guy was the original owner of a deli called La Bou, which became a franchise in Northern CA.

I’ll freshen up the bearings, figure out what’s going on with the 333 hub and get some new tubes/tires for a start.

Any recommendations on a quality riveted saddle that looks correct on the bike?
Old 04-30-21, 06:54 AM
russo.vedjeva

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, dear friends!
I've got interesting bike with some japanese parts. Repainted almost two times. Hope for your help in identifying.
Serial number: RB014088
Fork with IS Rib End dropouts
Frame without derailleur hanger and cablestop
rear derailleur: SunTour HONOR
front derailleur: SunTour Spirt
stem shifters SunTour
bottom bracket cottered with crankset Sugino
freewheel atom 77
wheels 27x1 1/4" : hub chair, rims araya and rigida
Old 05-01-21, 05:18 AM
russo.vedjeva

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
added some photos in gallery as "unknown bicycle to identify"
Old 05-01-21, 11:46 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by russo.vedjeva
Hello, dear friends!
I've got interesting bike with some japanese parts. Repainted almost two times. Hope for your help in identifying.
Serial number: RB014088
Fork with IS Rib End dropouts
Frame without derailleur hanger and cablestop
rear derailleur: SunTour HONOR
front derailleur: SunTour Spirt
stem shifters SunTour
bottom bracket cottered with crankset Sugino
freewheel atom 77
wheels 27x1 1/4" : hub chair, rims araya and rigida
Welcome to the forums. I was having problems with this, until I saw the photos. I don't think this is Asian but Canadian. The serial number looks like it's stamped on the back of the upper seat tube, which would be proper for a Canadian built Raleigh. The serial number is also the correct format for Raleigh of Canada and, if so, indicates that the frame is from January 1980. Based on the sky blue colour and components, it's a good match for the Canadian market Raleigh Royale, converted to upright bars.

Over the past three decades I've re-conditioned bicycles for donation to Chernobyl children. I wonder if this could be one that found its way from there to Moscow? The odds would be very small but then again, so are those for a Canadian bicycle in Russia.
Old 05-06-21, 07:31 AM
russo.vedjeva

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I was having problems with this, until I saw the photos. I don't think this is Asian but Canadian. The serial number looks like it's stamped on the back of the upper seat tube, which would be proper for a Canadian built Raleigh. The serial number is also the correct format for Raleigh of Canada and, if so, indicates that the frame is from January 1980. Based on the sky blue colour and components, it's a good match for the Canadian market Raleigh Royale, converted to upright bars.

Over the past three decades I've re-conditioned bicycles for donation to Chernobyl children. I wonder if this could be one that found its way from there to Moscow? The odds would be very small but then again, so are those for a Canadian bicycle in Russia.
Yeah, T-Mar! Looks like that's it!
Many thanks!

That's so interesting history about it. I'm really wondering if that surely that. Need to check for radiation)))

There, in Moscow, you can find interesting things from all over the world, and no one will care about it.
It is a pity that it was so badly repainted in its native color, and I can't do anything about it(

Found the only one photo of this bicycle in low-res. And no information about this, in old catalogues.
My seatpost clamp is clamped, and seatpost diameter now is 25.4 =(
If you know, where can i find correct seatpost diameter?
Thanks for the answer

Last edited by russo.vedjeva; 05-06-21 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-06-21, 10:05 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by russo.vedjeva
...Found the only one photo of this bicycle in low-res. And no information about this, in old catalogues.
My seatpost clamp is clamped, and seatpost diameter now is 25.4 =(
If you know, where can i find correct seatpost diameter?...
I've got the Raleigh Canada catalogue. Actually, it's more of a poster. There's not much info. Unfortunately, I don't own a scanner. The next time my son is home with his Smart Phone, I'll get him to take a picture and post it here.

Regarding the seat post size, it's a basic hi-tensile steel frame. My recollection is that these took either a 25.4mm or 25.8mm seat post. Sometimes, the seat clamp distorts, even with the correct size seat post. Take a look at the actual cinch slot cut into the back of the seat tube. For a properly sized post, the cinch slot will be about 0.6mm narrower at the top, than at the bottom. If the correct size post is 25.8mm the cinch slot would be about 2mm narrower at the top.
Old 05-10-21, 03:35 PM
T-Mar

@russo.vedjeva here's the poster image for the Royale. As I said, there's not much info but it's a good match visually and it came in Sky Blue.
Old 05-16-21, 02:22 PM
gravelinmygears 

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
Mystery Maruishi

Friend just bought this. Unmarked rear mech and a mix of other bits. SR quill stem. Serial number is FQ68379

Old 05-18-21, 11:08 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^^^^^ IIRC, the entry-level Shimano RDs (whatever was below 105) had the name just printed, and it was susceptible to rubbing off over time.

I'm guessing the 105 rear shifter is an upgrade.

Front wheel is on backward.

Is that a tubing decal or shop sticker mostly obscured by the front der?
Old 05-18-21, 01:16 PM
T-Mar

^^The Shimano rear derailleur appears to be one of the Light Action models which came out for 1986. The bicycle itself is a 1986-1987 model.
Old 05-18-21, 03:17 PM
jbeaman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is amazing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.