Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 11-06-19, 11:20 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My theory is that cloud cover distorts the speed readings and the urban canyons distorts the path I'm on. When it's sunny, I am shown riding through buildings but not usually varying widely in speed.
It's probably because you're in NYC and all the tech companies who program your stuff are in SF
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-06-19, 03:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It's probably because you're in NYC and all the tech companies who program your stuff are in SF
Boy, are you out of date. There is more growth here in digital than anywhere. Google Maps is based in Manhattan. Google Maps knows a heck of a lot about our area. But ridewithgps is in Portland, OR, I think.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-06-19, 04:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

You might be right. Wasn't there some wardriving aspect to it, too, in addition to the cell towers? Is that the maps department or some other function of the beast? I know they spun off Street View to contractors

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 11-06-19 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-07-19, 07:37 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Low 40s this morning, but warming to almost 70 before tomorrow's cool down. A good 15 mile ride. One MUP I sometimes use had gotten pretty covered up by leaves, sticks and other debris. But a couple of days ago they mowed and cleared all that off. Much nicer to ride on now. Until the next significant wind or rain anyway.
Old 11-07-19, 08:17 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 108 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 838:

7 degrees F. Are you kidding me? It's still early November! And they're talking about colder weather next week. No "slowly adapting to the colder temps" happening this year. Ugh.

Lots of ice and snow on the ground. We only got about 1/2" yesterday so it wasn't deep, but because it wasn't cleared off the pavement and MUP the low temps caused it to turn pretty hard. All the tire tracks and footprints were lumpy chunks of ice.

I rode the fat bike again today. I think this is the 6th time I've commuted on it, but it will be the first 20 mile day I've logged. It took a full 50 minutes to ride the 8 miles to our office.

I did have the foresight to install my bar mitts on it last night. That kept my hands nice and toasty. My legs took the brunt of the cold. My thighs were quite red when I was changing. Normally at single digits and lower I wear an extra thermal layer under my winter pants but I forgot and dressed too light. That's interesting, because usually this early in the season I make the mistake of dressing too warm.

When I arrived at work there was someone else using the shower room after running on the treadmill. That rarely ever happens. Usually I'm the only one in the workout room. I'm not complaining though, because it's good that someone is getting some exercise. I don't mind waiting my turn for the shower.
Old 11-07-19, 10:44 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I forgot my jacket in a professor’s office so I had to ride home jacketless. It wasn’t that bad. And I was able to recover it today. Phew.

This morning, I had a glorious tailwind for a good fraction of my trip. I love that. It makes me feel strong.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-07-19, 10:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Last night my formerly-bar-now-head lamp died. This morning once at work I remembered, and went to get it off the helmet hung on my bike. I pushed on the quick release, and tugged, and pushed harder, and tugged harder, and it wouldn't unlatch. "Why," I thought, "am I doing this?" I took the whole helmet back to my desk and plugged the light in.
Old 11-08-19, 07:55 AM
mgw4jc

A nice Friday morning ride. Sunny and clear, but not supposed to warm up much today. High of 49F.

I pass this tree lined pond pretty much everyday. Today the colors looked about as pretty as they're going to get.

There's a road I sometimes take a little before this that had some work done the past couple of days. Wednesday I had to hop on the sidewalk to avoid rough going over no pavement at all. Yesterday they had half of it done, but the wrong half. I rode on it anyway, doing the salmon thing. It's only 25mph there and only 2 cars had to slow for me. Today it was smooth sailing on new asphalt. Sweet!
Old 11-08-19, 09:06 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
7 degrees F. Are you kidding me? It's still early November! And they're talking about colder weather next week. No "slowly adapting to the colder temps" happening this year. Ugh.
My thoughts exactly this morning and it was a whopping 11 degrees warmer (18F). We skipped the 20's and went right to the teens. At least it's sunny, and I remembered to put the pogies on last night. I'm seriously thinking of converting one of my bikes to an e-bike this winter. I'm getting wimpy
Old 11-08-19, 09:53 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Last night my formerly-bar-now-head lamp died. This morning once at work I remembered, and went to get it off the helmet hung on my bike. I pushed on the quick release, and tugged, and pushed harder, and tugged harder, and it wouldn't unlatch. "Why," I thought, "am I doing this?" I took the whole helmet back to my desk and plugged the light in.
I've done that occasionally. It's a bit more trouble to lug the whole helmet upstairs, rather than slipping the light into a pocket. But the comments I get are worth it sometimes. "Plugging in your helmet? Why don't you plug in the bike?"

This morning was eye-watering. I'm not sure if it was the cold, the wind, or the bright sun. Since the wind was mostly pushing me, I didn't mind. I must be susceptible to Seasonal Affective Disorder -- sunshine after two days of clouds really brightened my day!
Old 11-11-19, 08:10 AM
mgw4jc

Monday morning again. Very light traffic due to Veteran's Day so schools and banks are closed. This week the leaves here are about as colorful as they're going to be.
Old 11-11-19, 08:24 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 841:

10F this morning with a stiff 15+ mph wind. About 1/2" of snow on the ground and snow falling. It was a full-on winter commute.

I rode the fat bike and averaged about 9 mph for the 8 mile ride to the office. Arrived pretty tuckered out, and my thighs were quite red from the cold. The rest of me wasn't too bad temp-wise.

High today is supposed to be 17F around 1 PM, and then the temp will start to plummet into the low single digits.

At least with today being Veteran's Day my clients are closed, so I won't have to ride across town over the lunch hour. I can stay at our office all day and just ride home after work.

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 11-11-19 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-11-19, 03:39 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,170 Posts
This morning the snow was coming down so fast, I didn't care how cold it was.

First, a flashback to last Wed., first ride of the season with the studs. As a neighbor / fellow member mentioned on the C&V thread, we've been "enjoying" not only one of the earliest first snows in history, but because of the late snow in the spring, the shortest span between spring and fall snows. Last Wed I even took the bike elevator from hilltop level down to lake level, to avoid any slippery downhill situations. This brings me right past the Monona Terrace approach to the Capitol:

The MonkeyLight looks kinda wimpy in this pic; it's much more prominent when I'm in motion.

Flash forward to this morning; plows running late, snow falling FAST. Fortunately I have the choice of a MUP for about 70% of the ride, and as is often the case, it was plowed before many of the side streets. So I followed the MUP to Monona Terrace and took the elevator UP to office building level. Down at lake level, it was weird seeing a full snow cover, and the lake still completely open water:

Those little dark forms on the lake surface are coots, little black ducks who "summer" here along with the more familiar mallards. Some stay around all year, some migrate.... somewhere. These folks seem to be just as confused/p!$$ed/surprised as the wingless two-legged population.

You can just see, frame right, the recently-plowed MUP, with fresh fall already accumulating.
Old 11-12-19, 08:08 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

We're due for big changes in the weather over the course of the day, so I'll be taking the subway. It's warm now and possibly raining. It will get cold and then it might snow. And miles to go before I sleep.

Old 11-12-19, 08:41 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 842:

13F on the way home last night with a -5F head wind. I had to huddle under a blanket for a bit after I got to the house to warm myself up. Definitely not used to this yet.

This morning was 5F with a -8 wind chill. Had a tail wind this time so even though it was colder it didn't seem as bad.

Temp is supposed to raise to a blazing 22 today, but the wind is going to really start whipping at 25+ mph and I'll have to ride straight into it. I'm guessing the ride home will feel as cold as the ride in this morning.

I noticed the river is about 80% iced over already. That didn't take long this year.
Old 11-12-19, 09:29 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Ten thousand!
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-12-19, 09:34 AM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Evening commute 11/4/19 54 °F clear

Morning commute 11/5/19 45°F
Evening commute 11/5/19 51°F

Morning commute 11/6/19 32°F - Rear derailleur was not wanting to move to larger cogs, I was stuck in 6th and having to shift between the two largest front chainrings.
Evening commute 11/6/19 49°F light rain

Morning commute 11/7/19 49°F rain - got pretty well soaked by the time I got to work.
Evening commute 11/7/19 38°F clear - wore my office clothes home, all my cycling gear was still damp from the morning. This is why I use platform pedals, never know when I'm going to be cycling in leather loafers

Morning commute 11/8/19 23°F - Really starting to despise the shifters on the Kona. I was stuck in 7th-9th and could not shift to any larger cogs on the rear cassette. Had to use the front derailleur for all my shifting again. Now the bikes lagging in going from the middle to the larger chainring as well.
Evening commute 11/8/19 32° - I was able to shift gears properly, yay for small victories.

Morning commute 11/11/19 50°F clear weather
Evening commute 11/11/19 39°F rain - Wasn't raining very heavy, the insides of my shoes were still mostly dry by the time I got home but wet and cold enough I made it a point to make hot soup for dinner.

Morning commute 11/12/19 18°F - It had snowed a little bit last night, I think we got between 1/2 and inch and an inch. The roads were clear though. Shifting was, of course acting up on the bike I got stuck in 6th on the rear cassette (largest cog it would let me shift to, I could got to smaller cogs but not larger), and the middle chainring with no hope of shifting to the larger chainring.

I'm sure the shifting issues are a fixable problem but right now, I'm really wanting to throw the bike off a cliff.
Old 11-12-19, 09:54 AM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by madpogue
The MonkeyLight looks kinda wimpy in this pic; it's much more prominent when I'm in motion.
Love my Monkey Lites! First ride on studs for me too and I'm pretty sure the earliest I've ever needed them. Along with 9F temps the ride in took 15 minutes longer than usual. I'm seriously considering some ebike assistance!
Old 11-12-19, 12:05 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,170 Posts
+5F this morning, new record. Normally it's +30F low, +47F high. We may not see those kind of temps again 'til spring. Telecommuted for two hours; by the time I left to ride in, it was up to a balmy +8F, but with a 10-20 MPH headwind. What hadn't been plowed last night had become ice patches, on both the streets and the MUP. I decided to take the elevator. Mistake. The car was down at ground level, but the door wouldn't open from the call button. Had to backtrack out and take a surface road up Capitol Hill, nearly doubling an otherwise short commute. Fortunately morning traffic has cleared by that time, but i juuuuuuust made a 10:00 meeting.

I could see the lake freezing over as I went by. Now, with 2+ hours of full sun and air temps rising, it's opened up again. I wish I'd brought a camera to do time lapse of the freezing and thawing from my window.

So this evening I should have the benefit of 20s-ish F and a tailwind. Only about 25F below normal (whatever that is....).
Old 11-12-19, 07:18 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Pretty epic commuting today.

Cool and rainy (high 40s) on the way in. My feet got soaked, but were fine. I've started using a handlebar cam on rainy days because that's when people are the most aggressive. Today's bonehead managed to cut in between me (on their right) and another mildly aggressive driver trying to pass me in the middle of an intersection, nearly running me off the road and also cutting off aggressive driver #1 . All on tape...yeahhhhh!

I somehow missed the memo to leave work early, and hit a bit of ice on the way home. Mainly on the wooden bridges that look so lovely in the summer. It might be overkill for North Carolina, but studs are going ON.
Old 11-13-19, 08:35 AM
arsprod 

Warmer, up to 11F! Big difference is headwind today which is good for the ride home - bad for ride in. I bailed after about 5 miles and took the bus.
Old 11-13-19, 09:15 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
17° for my ride into work this morning, with a 17 mph south wind dropping the windchill down to 3°.

fortunately, roughly 75% of my morning route is due north, so that was a nice ripping tailwind for me.

unfortunately, part of the bike path through Skokie had been plowed but not salted, so it was an icy mess.

with the late start i got + the icy mess slowing me down, i was 20 minutes late for work....... whoops.
Old 11-13-19, 09:21 AM
mgw4jc

I bailed on riding yesterday as it was going to be and would have been a steady rain the whole time. Not cold at 55F, but I just didn't wanna. The wind from the north would have been a challenge on the way home too.

I did ride this morning which was between 17 and 23F depending on who you talk to in the office. Clear skies though. If we had even the slightest bit of snow that's happening up north we would be shut down probably. I did notice several sidewalks by developed neighborhoods with large / long patches of ice. I'm thinking they don't need to run their lawn sprinklers when it's below freezing.
Old 11-13-19, 10:12 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1907 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 338 Posts
Oh, man, it's cold out there! Beautiful almost-full moon this morning, and a lot of deer out and about.

Day before yesterday, I almost hit a beaver! Riding by the canal just after dark, I saw a dark shapeless shape right in the middle of the path in front of me, so I slowed down, then stopped. Clearly a decent sized critter (I'm guessing 30-40 lbs, but what do I know), probably 15-20 feet away. I don't know what the beaver was doing, but clearly not paying attention to anything but himself. Then he saw my headlight and dashed off and dove silently into the canal. In the moonlight I saw its wake as it swam away, but it hadn't made a sound.
Old 11-13-19, 10:50 AM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Evening commute 11/12/19 16° - the bike had warmed up enough in the office that I was able to get it back on the largest chainring on the front and the 4th largest cog on the rear. After I had gotten it that far the bike decided it was a fixie. so I got to ride the whole way home in one gear.

Morning Commute 11/13/19 14°F - Sunny but cold, I ditched the cycling gear for jeans and a sweatshirt under my jacket. That was almost too much. Still riding the bike as if it was a fixie (because she won't shift to larger cogs in this weather) so commute went a bit slower than usual. It's supposed to warm up to around 40°F so maybe I'll have gears to choose from on the way home. It's looking like I'll need the cables replaced so I might as well get the Jones H-Bar I've been wanting and have the new handle bar and the cables all done at one shot by the LBS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.