Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-20, 04:44 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I use a Third Eye mirror and would never ride a bike without it. It is to me as important as a helmet. I have neck issues and little flexibility but even if I did not I would still want a mirror. Sometimes only looking back is what is needed but I never understood the Roadie thing against mirrors. Maybe that has gone away in recent years.
Old 03-08-20, 04:50 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
I added a Varia last month, works well especially when in the low traffic areas I ride. It gives an early enough warning that I can glance at my mirror and see the vehicle, usually just as it becomes visible.

My flat handlebar bike has a bar end mirror. I tried helmet and glasses mounted mirrors and could not get comfortable using them.
Old 03-08-20, 05:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I use a Third Eye mirror and would never ride a bike without it. It is to me as important as a helmet. I have neck issues and little flexibility but even if I did not I would still want a mirror. Sometimes only looking back is what is needed but I never understood the Roadie thing against mirrors. Maybe that has gone away in recent years.
I'd like to see a pro sprinter use a mirror. It would allow him to scan his competitors behind him. Yes, it would be very unpopular with fans and fellow competitors. There would be calls to UCI to ban them. But formally banning mirrors brings up another issue - UCI stating formally to the world that they are banning an item that if copied (and everything a winner uses gets copied) will save lives.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-08-20, 06:46 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I tried a glasses mount mirror and couldn't get used to having it in the corner of my eye (must be me; I also turn off the compass in the mirror of my car!).
I have tried myriad bar end mirrors.
The Italian ones are too small for my old eyes, aside from the fact that you have to get them lined up just right when you wrap the bars.
I liked the Sprintech and Zefel Cyclops mirrors, but found that the mounts break.
I have come back to the Mirrycle; I use the one for flat bars but leave out one section of the mount. It has been very durable, is large enough that I can see what is coming from a useful distance, and can keep track of the people I am riding with on the rare occasions when I am ahead.
Old 03-08-20, 08:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Have been using Take-a-Look mounted on helmet visor for several years. Have used helmet- or glasses-mounted mirrors for several decades.
Old 03-08-20, 11:19 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
I like the Third Eye Foam helmet mirror. The shaft has an I beam cross section that reduces vibration.

Old 03-09-20, 03:53 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
The shaft has an I beam cross section that reduces vibration.
That sounds attractive. I use the long-arm version of Take-A-Look, and I sometimes think about trying the short-arm version because I get some vibration some times that makes it hard to resolve at a distance whether that's a car or not.
Old 03-09-20, 06:26 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
buy a helmet mounted mirror and and a bar mounted mirror. Use them and see which works best for you, or use both
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 03-09-20, 07:01 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
That sounds attractive. I use the long-arm version of Take-A-Look, and I sometimes think about trying the short-arm version because I get some vibration some times that makes it hard to resolve at a distance whether that's a car or not.
It's a good design. I've tried some others an they are circular in cross section and cantilevered out far enough to vibrate quite a bit. The Third Eye is a little shorter, and that I-beam cross section eliminates a lot of it.

With my new helmet, I had to use two layers of velcro tape to put it in the best place, and even at that, the vibration is still well managed.

Here is how I mounted it. I dunno if you can see the I-beam construction there. It has two ball joints ... one at the mount and one at the mirror.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 03-09-20, 07:25 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I had to use two layers of velcro tape to put it in the best place, and even at that, the vibration is still well managed.
Thanks, nice picture. I see what you did there. You score at least a MacGuyver for the double layering, nice work.

Last edited by rseeker; 03-09-20 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-09-20, 11:24 AM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I use a take-a-look mirror on my road bike. It attaches to your glasses and is very effective. I don't ride without it...or at least not on the road.

https://takealookactive.com/
Several up-votes for the take a look mirror. I'm adding one more for it. The downside is that for me I need to clip it onto a visor on the helmet. Many helmets don't have a visor so that could be an issue. Aside from that it takes about a ride or 2 to get used to it. I found that my eyes wanted to focus past it the first few times if that makes sense. After that it's great and I don't leave home without it.
Old 03-09-20, 11:25 AM
CadenceCrazy

Bikes: Nashbar CR5 Ultegra, Trek 2300

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use the clearviewmicromirror.com. It is a helmet mount with a small mirror on a very short stem. It took me 30 minutes to get it properly adjusted and comfortable using it. This is my first mirror so my learning curve was probably steeper than most rider's.The company is a small Mm and Pop, maybe even just Pop, but product support was very good. The web site is a little old school.
Old 03-09-20, 11:46 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Have been using Take-a-Look mounted on helmet visor for several years. Have used helmet- or glasses-mounted mirrors for several decades.
I too use a Take-a-Look mirror. I tried using it on my helmet visor but the mirror fell off when riding over rough asphalt. How do you keep you mirror on the visor? I do like the Take-a-Look mirror on my eyeglasses or sunglasses ear piece.

Cheers
Old 03-09-20, 12:16 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I too use a Take-a-Look mirror. I tried using it on my helmet visor but the mirror fell off when riding over rough asphalt. How do you keep you mirror on the visor? I do like the Take-a-Look mirror on my eyeglasses or sunglasses ear piece.
Cheers
Have not lost one while riding but did lose one recently in the process of driving from Indy to Gulf Shores, AL. May be in car somewhere well hidden. Local bike shop had a replacement for the lost mirror.
I have used electrical tape to semi-secure to black visor but only sure attachment I have found is to drill holes in visor and use 1 or 2 small zip ties.
Old 03-09-20, 12:50 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Have not lost one while riding but did lose one recently in the process of driving from Indy to Gulf Shores, AL. May be in car somewhere well hidden. Local bike shop had a replacement for the lost mirror.
I have used electrical tape to semi-secure to black visor but only sure attachment I have found is to drill holes in visor and use 1 or 2 small zip ties.
Thanks. I'll try that.

Cheers
Old 03-09-20, 01:40 PM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
For many years I used Take a look mirrors and similar helmet and glasses mounted mirrors. A few years ago I switched to the Italian bike mirror an all of my bikes and never regretted the switch. They are made out of glass and very clear and unobtrusive. Took a while to get used to bar mounted mirror after using a glass mounted mirror.
Old 03-12-20, 05:40 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts

Cheers
Somewhere on Bike Forums I've posted photos of how I secure the Take-A-Look mirror to my helmets.
  • I use one of those plastic discount cards from a grocery store and cut it to fit the recesses in the softer EPS foam inside the helmet. This will serve the same purpose as the earpieces on eyeglasses -- something for the three grabbers on the mirror stem to hold onto.
  • Then I'll punch a hole in the plastic card. That's the zip ties to go through so nothing slips off.
  • I use one zip tie to secure the mirror to the card, with the zip tie going through the punched hole.
  • I use a second zip tie to secure the card (again, through a punched hole) to the helmet, on the inside, going through a vent.
  • This leaves enough wiggle room to adjust the angle of the mirror stalk/stem up and down a bit. I'll snug up the zip tie to hold the tension so I don't have to keep adjusting the mirror.

It's simpler to make that it sounds. Takes only a few minutes.

For now I have one Take-A-Look attached to my Bell Formula MIPS. The second is loose so I mount it to whatever sunglasses or safety glasses I plan to wear. That's for use with my POC commuter helmet or my aero helmet. I wear the POC on my hybrid, which has bar-end shifters so there's no handy place to mount a mirror on the bike.

The aero helmet lacks vents for mounting, and a permanently attached mirror would defeat the purpose of an aero helmet. The aero helmet and jersey are usually good for an extra 1 mph on my workout routes, especially on windy days. But depending on traffic I may wear glasses with the mirror on days when I'm using the aero helmet. When I reach my usual workout routes with 2 to 6 mile time trial segments, I'll stick the mirror in my jersey pocket and just wear the sunglasses or use the aero helmet's magnet mounted visor. If my neck flexibility was better I wouldn't bother with this setup, but it helps me with navigating traffic until I reach my workout segments. There isn't much traffic there so I only need the bar-end mirror.
Old 03-12-20, 08:05 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

This is how I mounted the mirror to my visor. Drilled three holes and two zip ties. Used construction silicon to secure the visor to mitigate vibration.
Not for everybody but it works for me, Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 03-14-20, 05:51 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I too use a Take-a-Look mirror. I tried using it on my helmet visor but the mirror fell off when riding over rough asphalt. How do you keep you mirror on the visor?

I do like the Take-a-Look mirror on my eyeglasses or sunglasses ear piece.

Cheers
I too prefer an eyeglass mount for my Take-a-Look. Just a few minutes ago I posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"What mirror do you use?"...

On a more serious note, I recently had thought that I lost one of my Take-a-Look mirrors (I wear right and left; link).
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Right. Besides, anyone who wears two helmet mirrors, (one on each side) is a not only a safety fanatic but obviously proud to ignore the fashion rules. Both A-OK in my book!
For winter riding I wear goggles over my prescription eyeglasses, but not those with an elastic band that would not support my mirror:
Originally Posted by parkbrav
"Jim's Famous Trick for Rear-view Mirror Goggles"

Now that spring is upon us, I am considering creating a "rear-view mirror" using (Jim's idea) a dental mirror and safety glasses purchased from Lowes.
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Why not buy a ready-made glasses or helmet mount mirror? Most are under $20. I've tried a few, and my favorite is the Take-A-Look short-arm version ~$14.
Hi @parkbrav et al,

Thanks for the nod and I did think that I was the Jim to whom the title referred. I have frequently posted about my goggles and mirror set up to diminish eyeglass fogging in the Winter
I perennially post about my winter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as low as 0°. I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding. I am entirely satisfied with my system
for eye protection is a pair of simple, wide, plastic industrial goggles that I suspend from my cycling cap using Velcro around the nosepiece. The goggles sit very comfortably on my face securely in place even though my ears are covered. The earpieces then provide a rigid mount for my eyeglass-mounted Take-a-Look mirror.

The goggles allow sufficient room for my prescription eyeglasses, and are widely ventilated to carry away the exhaled moisture preventing fogging.

Originally Posted by velopig
Two mirrors and a fluorescent jacket. You win!
These goggles have made winter cycling entirely possible because all other attempts to avoid dangerous fogging have been nowhere as successful…

I realize now that my goggles and face mask are actually an integrated system of heating and ventilation that keeps my face warm and my vision unencumbered by fogging.

The windscreen of the goggles is so effective in keeping my eyes warm that my eyelids actually perspired because my central core body was so warm, and my eyes never got cold, even on those fast windswept downhill runs.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-14-20 at 06:07 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 03-15-20, 08:00 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
I tried a glasses mount mirror and couldn't get used to having it in the corner of my eye (must be me; I also turn off the compass in the mirror of my car!).
I have tried myriad bar end mirrors.
The Italian ones are too small for my old eyes, aside from the fact that you have to get them lined up just right when you wrap the bars.
I liked the Sprintech and Zefel Cyclops mirrors, but found that the mounts break.
I have come back to the Mirrycle; I use the one for flat bars but leave out one section of the mount. It has been very durable, is large enough that I can see what is coming from a useful distance, and can keep track of the people I am riding with on the rare occasions when I am ahead.
This is exactly what I use on my road bike.

Best regards
Old 03-15-20, 06:51 PM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model- donated to a friend); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Awareness of what's behind

yet another +1 for 'tale-a-look' mirror

In addition, I find to Garmin Vario radar unit to be of assistance https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/601468 added benefit of being on sale at the moment
Old 03-23-20, 07:13 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg

This is how I mounted the mirror to my visor. Drilled three holes and two zip ties. Used construction silicon to secure the visor to mitigate vibration.
Not for everybody but it works for me, Frank.
Very creative -congrats!
Best regards
Likes For flan48:
Old 03-23-20, 10:23 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I have tried both eyeglass and helmet mounted mirrors and both of them worked great. My preference was a helmet mounted mirror. As my mileage increased and I was doing longer and longer rides, I added clamp on aerobars on my road bike to help relieve some of the shoulder stiffness I was getting. As soon as I would get on the aerobars, those mirrors became useless. They're great if you always ride upright or in a fixed position as the adjustment doesn't vary much. Once I went aero, all I could see with my helmet mirror was tree tops and sky. To see what was behind me, I had to get back to the hoods.

At 73, my neck doesn't turn around like it used to so looking over my shoulder isn't an option. After trying several types of mirrors, the one I finally settled on was the CycleAware bar end mirror. It's adjusted so that I can easily see behind me while riding on the hoods or a quick look over my arm, while on the aerobars. However, for my last birthday, last October, the wife got me a Garmin Varia rear radar, just prior to my cross state ride. I now use it whenever I'm on any street and use my mirror primarily to see which lane a vehicle is in when on a multi-lane road. As nice as mirrors are, there's not a mirror on the market that notifies you of a vehicle(s) approaching 153 yards away. It's paired with my Wahoo Bolt and the LEDs on the computer help with visual notifications along with the audio notification you get when a vehicle is detected. My radar is like my American Express card; I don't leave home without it.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 03-23-20 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-23-20, 07:48 PM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
I have two I use.
Round plastic(Third Eye?) and Take-a-look

I prefer the Take-a-look. Bought it 35 years ago to use while rowing and then tried it for road riding.

The Third Eye is now In my boat bag but I never go out for a bike ride without the TAL attached to my glasses.
Old 03-23-20, 08:56 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've tried several, & never got the hang of it.

Hard to see enough to be useful, & distracting. My son got me one that straps to your arm but maybe my eyesight is not good enough.

I do like being in a group with mirror-users- they call out the cars, and know when you are coming up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.