Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding while high

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding while high

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-21, 09:13 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I tried it a couple of times and felt like an idiot.
LOL! The main reason I stopped indulging ~40-ish years ago was because I recognized that pot always had three simultaneous effects on me:
- I got stupid
- I got horny
- I got incredibly sleepy

...and there just aren't a whole lot of things one can do when one is stupid, horny, and incredibly sleepy! Except ride a bike, I guess...
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 04-03-21, 10:40 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
The OP says he eats it(edible). In terms of using marijuana and it becoming legal in many places, I do not understand why smoking it is not frowned upon. It would seem to me to be the same as smoking tobacco. So from a society standpoint I get confused on the anti-tobacco crowd and then no push back on the marijuana side and smoking it. Eating it makes sense to me and that would be the only way to use it.
Again, my experience comes almost entirely from a long time ago, when things were different (especially me). But from what I recall, the high from edibles and from smoking is very different. Also, unless you have a lot of experience (I never did), it's harder to control your high on edibles. You eat it and maybe an hour later, you're going where it is taking you. And that may be to Saturn.

Also, I appreciate the fragrance of marijuana smoke. At this point, (the few times when I've smoked in the last several years), I actually appreciate the smell more than I appreciate the high.

Cigarettes stink.
Old 04-03-21, 11:05 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
This thread is giving me one hell of a laugh. Over in the Safety section everyone loves bashing drivers as though cyclists are never at fault and then with this we get (as Paul Harvey would say) “the rest of the story”.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 04-03-21, 11:26 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Dustin Klein does some epic rides and sometimes there's THC consumption involved.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV9...sJfe3Rev5PWy-Q
Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-03-21, 05:45 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I used to play basketball in college after a toke and I “thought” I played as good as I normally would. Now I just zone out and become a zombie ......not sure I’d be able to keep a bike upright.
Old 04-03-21, 05:51 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Shouldn't this be in the Mountain Bikes subforum?
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-03-21, 05:51 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've never ridden drunk, and I presume that riding high would be a similar experience. If you have an abuse problem, you'd probably think it was great; normal people would not feel comfortable with the reduction in reaction time and balance.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 04-03-21, 06:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I've never ridden drunk, and I presume that riding high would be a similar experience. If you have an abuse problem, you'd probably think it was great; normal people would not feel comfortable with the reduction in reaction time and balance.
As an alcoholic, I can assure you they are not similar experiences, not even close. I can't imagine trying to ride a bicycle or motorcycle while drunk.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-03-21, 07:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
I don't believe this is true. I have a number of friends who have been smoking it (now vaporizing) on a daily basis for 50+ years and get as high as ever without increasing volume. They are certainly more used to being high than a dabbler and would feel more comfortable with the effects. I have Parkinson's and regularly use edibles for sleep. I cut 10mg edibles in half ant take 5mg which is just enough to help me sleep without getting noticeably high. If I am high I stay awake tossing and turning. I am cautious about falls since I am now 70+ and don't want to break any more bones in bike crashes. I would probably feel safe riding with a mild buzz but I would not risk it. From what I have read reaction times and judgement are impaired by THC.

If you want to get direct reports from the horse's mouth ask any of the old timers on beach cruisers in Key West.
THC tolerance is well documented in anecdotes by users and confirmed by more recent research. However it appears to vary considerably among users, depending on many factors: age, diet, body fat, overall health, other medications/substances, and potency of the cannabis.

In my few more recent experiences -- a year or so ago when friends offered it for my chronic pain -- I found it took only a few days of very moderate regular use (via smoking) to develop a tolerance, even with some fairly potent stuff. However even a couple of puffs would irritate my upper respiratory system and made my asthma and sinus inflammation worse, so I gave up smoking after only a short trial.

Edibles were far more difficult to find a consistent dosage. That may have been due to my inexperienced homebrewed attempts at decarboxylation and testing finely ground full leaf in edibles vs homemade oil tinctures for sublingual use. Sometimes there was barely any effect. Other times it was couch lock for hours. To be honest, I get bored with the psychoactive effect after 15-30 minutes, but it drags on for hours. I wish I enjoyed it as much as other folks, but even as a teenager it was never my favorite thing.

The main reason I gave up on that trial using full spectrum cannabis with significant THC was because it didn't help with my chronic pain. Although it did help with sleep.

While research continues into how and why cannabis works, some studies indicate that for optimal pain relief many people respond better to a high CBD, low THC ratio -- roughly around the 0.3mg potency that meets FDA standards for CBD rather than cannabis with significant psychoactive effect. Basically, that's the premise of the full spectrum, high potency CBD I've been buying for a couple of years.

My only real complaint about commercially made CBD is that it's expensive for what it is, although prices are dropping for some brands -- notably Lazarus Naturals and Sunsoil, both of which I usually mail order.

Aficionados with access to fairly consistent buds, proper decarb equipment, etc., can probably homebrew their own CBD/THC to suit their own preferences more economically. But, living in an apartment rather than my own home, and with no clear guidance from the VA on their policy toward CBD vs high concentration THC cannabis, I'm reluctant to get involved beyond my trial of the stuff a year or so ago. Once we have consistent guidelines on cannabis -- preferably deregulating it completely for personal use -- I'll consider trying again.

For now I still prefer CBD and kratom for relief from chronic pain without psychoactive effects, so I can stay active cycling, walking and running.
Old 04-03-21, 08:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I rode high many times over more than a decade years ago and all through my racing days. Never before races but often on training rides. I noticed early on when I started racing that my reactions slowed as I went deeper into my reserves in races. And that this reaction slowing was very much like the slowing I experienced riding high. I started observing my reactions both racing and training high and believe to this day that riding high did a very good job of preparing me for the very hard long races to be a steady, solid rider that didn't cause problems and that other trusted. (And this with little group riding. The local group rides were in general, shorter and faster than I wanted to focus on plus they didn't work with my schedule. Also, quite a few of those riders rode high and shared stuff that I would have had trouble passing up. Safety-wise, riding with them would be like me racing high.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-03-21, 09:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
As an alcoholic, I can assure you they are not similar experiences, not even close. I can't imagine trying to ride a bicycle or motorcycle while drunk.
Same.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-04-21, 02:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Again, my experience comes almost entirely from a long time ago, when things were different (especially me). But from what I recall, the high from edibles and from smoking is very different. Also, unless you have a lot of experience (I never did), it's harder to control your high on edibles. You eat it and maybe an hour later, you're going where it is taking you. And that may be to Saturn.

Also, I appreciate the fragrance of marijuana smoke. At this point, (the few times when I've smoked in the last several years), I actually appreciate the smell more than I appreciate the high.

Cigarettes stink.
Same. I smell weed smoke on almost every bike ride, walk and run. Passing cars, people parked or walking around, just sitting on their porches or yards. It's everywhere now. I like the smell. I just wish it didn't aggravate my asthma and sinuses, but it doesn't bother me when other people are smoking.

For that matter I enjoy second hand smoke from a good cigar or pipe tobacco, although I quit smoking more than 20 years ago. If a friend lights up nearby I don't mind. But most cigarette tobacco smoke gives me an astringent sensation in the nose and throat, not pleasant. There are a very few high quality cigarette tobaccos that aren't bad, but most people I know who still smoke choose the foulest cancer sticks and still overpay. I can't imagine spending what it costs now to smoke cigarettes. By the time I quit even Dunhills were still affordable.

Vaping isn't much better. It aggravates my sinuses and throat just as bad as regular smoking.
Old 04-04-21, 04:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Five people have answered the OP’s question and the rest have answered like they were stoned.

So to join the ranks of the stoned; I would never do it because I enjoy the feeling of speed and nothing (other than transcontinental flights) slows down my sense of speed like riding high. Second it would further slow me down because I used to get (haven’t smoked in 30+ years) the munchies so badly I would not be able to pass a bakery or convenience store.

“I would not feel so all alone, everybody must get stoned” B Dylan

Old 04-05-21, 11:21 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
This is one of those things that if you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't.
Likes For fly135:
Old 04-05-21, 04:07 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that nobody has brought up the fact that it is illegal in most states to drive or ride on a public roadway under the influence, whether that be alcohol, marijuana, or any other psychoactive drug. Also, for the folks saying that they don't believe it affects their judgment or ability to ride safely, I have a bridge to sell you.
Likes For davester:
Old 04-05-21, 05:00 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Rotgut with 2 posts hit a 50+ nerve.
More posts quickly than just about any other thread

Wonder if it's for a PostGraduate Thesis???

Otherwise, sounds like a troll more than anything.

Legal in my State, but I stay away from medibles. Not for me at all.

I worry much more about open carry locations!!!
thread diversion ahead.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-06-21 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-05-21, 05:09 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Sing it Willie,

On the road again,
like a band of gypsies we go down the highway.....

or was it the Doobie Bros?
Old 04-05-21, 07:50 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I tried blazing a doob before a ride home from work back in ‘73 (I was 15) and found a whole nuther world. After that night, my rides on that beloved Motobecane would be enjoyed without a buzz.
Old 04-05-21, 08:06 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Sure.

In the 70s, I rode on acid and coke. I don't do that anymore.
Old 04-05-21, 08:24 PM
Rotgut
Rotgut

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Rotgut with 2 posts hit a 50+ nerve.

Otherwise, sounds like a troll more than anything.
LOL, sorry, I promise I'm not a troll. I'm legit, and I have the bad knees to prove it. I'm a long-time lurker mainly because some of y'all are much more hardcore cyclists than I. My rides are commutes, 3 or 4 times/week 20+ mile rides, and a couple of organized rides. So I figure my contributions here are limited to what I know.

Thanks to all who responded. I've been around long enough to know what's an unnecessary risk. There's no way I would ride high with cars around me. But with Ragbrai coming up and a lot of legal states, I'm sure we're going to be seeing some riders enjoying their partying.
Old 04-05-21, 11:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotgut
LOL, sorry, I promise I'm not a troll. I'm legit, and I have the bad knees to prove it. I'm a long-time lurker mainly because some of y'all are much more hardcore cyclists than I. My rides are commutes, 3 or 4 times/week 20+ mile rides, and a couple of organized rides. So I figure my contributions here are limited to what I know.

Thanks to all who responded. I've been around long enough to know what's an unnecessary risk. There's no way I would ride high with cars around me. But with Ragbrai coming up and a lot of legal states, I'm sure we're going to be seeing some riders enjoying their partying.
No worries whatsoever. What counts is that you are here and contributing. I am on several car forums and have never seen the word troll so used and mostly abused as here. My theory is that it is age related, since the accused as so far from the definition found on the web.

The most risky thing you can do here is start a thread and if someone disagrees with the premise the label is just about guaranteed, but dont let that dissuade you because without thread starters, this site would not exist. Keep it up and if all else fails you can block chosen people’s posts.

Old 04-06-21, 02:13 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Once upon a time a long long time ago i had a Friday off and made two 10" waffles packed with weed and ate them with two sunny side up eggs and a lot of butter and honey ( I don't eat that way now) and went riding all day over mountains on my 10 speed covering no idea how many miles of elevation because that wasn't a thing i could record not did I really care at those times and it still remains one of my fondest bike rides I ever had. I was incredibly high for a long time and I rode harder than I ever had before I am quite sure, but the price was when I came home Friday night just as it became dark, I went to sleep, and slept through all of Saturday and woke up good as new on Sunday. My parents thought I was sick and let me be. Well I suppose I was, right? Anyway one of the fondest of memories, and all on the first wheelset I built myself. I don't ride stoned or use pot now and haven't for many decades. Nothing against it though. I vaguely remember coming home and eating in high volumes and crashing out with that wonderful feeling of satiety and exhaustion that we can all probably relate to. I won't go into the ride itself except to say it was mental as anything and I saw beautiful things everywhere I went. Honestly that's how it is.
Old 04-06-21, 07:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It’s been a long time for me, but I’d probably just get off and sit on a rock and contemplate the foliage.
And eat a Cliff Bar or something.
Old 04-06-21, 10:08 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Would it count.....
on a tandem.....
if your stoker....
was a toker?

Inquiring minds , want to know!

Old 04-06-21, 10:16 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Would it count.....
on a tandem.....
if your stoker....
was a toker?

Inquiring minds , want to know!
Is your stoker a joker and a midnight toker?
Likes For tyrion:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.