Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Giant Iguana? Price seems a little high to me...what should I offer?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 04-16-21, 09:24 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts

This came up locally. It ticks all the boxes but it seems pretty high for a steel bike...regardless if the parts. What should I offer?

Old 04-16-21, 11:35 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
You will need to offer what you are comfortable with, without being pushy. The bicycle is very well set up and I am sure you are either dealing with a flipper or someones pride and joy. Sturdy bones, decent wheels, nice tyres, brooks saddle, grocery basket upfront. I’m not sure how your market is, but I can imagine that being listed and sold for a price of or near the listing.
Old 04-16-21, 11:53 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Agreed that this may be the market price for that bike. Prices have done up during the pandemic and this is nicely set up as a commuter/grocery bike. This is very solidly built up. And no $350 is not high for a "steel" bike. What matters is the quality of the bike, how much work it needs, etc. But a reasonable quality steel frame doesn't make a bike cheap.
Old 04-16-21, 11:58 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks for all the info. He seems to know about bikes so I'm guessing it's well set up.
Old 04-16-21, 12:02 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
That looks like a really decent bike. Upgraded brakes, bars and a brooks saddle...
Top-mount thumbshifters were IMO a high-point for bicycle design but were discontinued, probably because they were too durable and did not fit into a business model emphasizing planned obsolescence.

Mrs Clydeson has that same/similar basket on her town bike and it is one of her most prized possessions.
Old 04-16-21, 03:56 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,245 Times in 1,308 Posts
And new Continental Retro Ride tires. If you want a cheap bike, look for something in stock configuration.