Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1971 Raliegh Pro

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 10:55 AM
pyeyo

Bikes: how big is this cell anyway?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
1971 Raliegh Pro

Sorry no photo yet, it was a local racer's wife's bike, it has been converted to Shimano 9spd Ultegra but all the campy is in a box except the original pedals which I believe were Super record with the Groupo being Nuovo Record. he says he has the original tubular wheelset with the original CAMPIONATO DEL Mondo sew-up tires, which of course would be unrideable. I would like to make an offer but haven't a clue where to hit, any help would be appreciated. (The bike has also been repainted, but he has the head badge in a Ziploc.)
Old 08-28-23, 11:16 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,348 Times in 2,184 Posts
-----

'71 should be first year for Brampton Victor seat cluster...IIRC

respray definitely reduces C&V value/interest

would be further reduced if braze-ons added

was it originally Mink?

-----
Old 08-28-23, 12:30 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26437 Post(s)
Liked 10,399 Times in 7,223 Posts
...1971 catalog here.

...I don't share the general consensus on repainted frames. Done well, and with quality urethane automotive paints, I find them to be fine for my tastes.

I honestly do not know what this stuff is valued at any more, with prices and sales so depressed. It will be some work to reassemble, and just because the frame is newly restored, that doesn't mean the wheels are not a little beat. So it's tough to value without more information and pictures. Apparently mink/silver was the color choice in 1971. There are other color schemes, from other years, they might have selected for a repaint.

Mine are all repainted. The ones I have got pretty well used, so the cosmetics were bad.
Old 08-28-23, 01:12 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 269 Posts
Without photos, you can expect a wide range of estimates.
Sounds like a fun project. A repaint would not bother me much, but it will drive down the price.
At least you could sell the Ultegra components and other pieces to recoup the initial outlay.
In '71, Super Record pedals did not exist. Just the chrome cage Record style.
If stored properly in a cool, dry place, those tires might work okay. Del Mundos were fairly beefy.