Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

451 Wheels on a Birdy?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

451 Wheels on a Birdy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 08:53 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 422 Posts
451 Wheels on a Birdy?

I’m wanting to know if anyone has fitted 451 20” wheels to their Birdy. I am currently running 406 wheels, and it looks like there is enough clearance, but I am not sure. As the weather has finally gotten nice here in Tokyo, I’ve gotten the urge to dust off my Birdy, do some upgrades, and hopefully put a lot of miles on it this year. This week I added the Super Birdy suspension, front and rear, and while it’s heavier than the original kit, the improvement in the ride is amazing. Unfortunately, my XTR v-brakes wouldn’t work with the front suspension (the brake arms were too long), so I had to swap in a set of Tektro 80mm v-brakes. Braking now requires more effort, but hopefully tuning the levers will improve that. I also added a titanium bar and seat post. The driveline remains the 10 speed XTR derailleur/cassette Ultegra 6700 hubs, and Dura Ace 7800 crankset/front derailleur. I am wanting to add composite wheels to my bike, the Alex rims on Ultregra hubs are requiring frequent truing, and I am planning a couple cross country rides for the summer.
Old 04-05-22, 01:37 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 180 Posts
With the new mini V brake, you might have too much pull and not enough mechanical advantage as mini v brakes are supposed to be used instead of cantilever that requires small pull lever. you might be better with tektro lever MT2.1; they are adjustable and can use for std V-brake and cantilever/caliper (I have them on my dahon mini bike because from v brake and rear caliper)
note that with 451, would we need to offset your brake pads by 22.5mm

As I wrote elsewhere:
451 vs 406 is a similar situation as 700C vs 650B. The 451 usually comes in 25-451 or 28-451 which is the same ich size as 48-406 or 50-406. As other said, the 451 tyres are restricted. Then there is the issue of comfort and with the popularization of gravel riding, people are rediscovering that large tyres a better for comfort so @ equivalent rolling resistance, you will be more comfortable on 406.
What are you trying to achieve? with 406, you can fit a fast rolling tyre like kojak 35-406.

if you are trying to reduce the weight, may be try something like the Dahon/Tern Kinetix 406 or a carbon wheel but they are not much lighter than aluminium in these sizes and quality. You can look at the handlebar stem too; monoblock are lighter than telescopic stems. and you can either fit a lighter Aluminium crankset than will fit on the square tapers of the BB or move towards something like Sram Force ! carbon with GXP BB cups.
Old 04-05-22, 03:04 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 216 Posts
Since you have V-brakes, I guess you have a Birdy 1 or Birdy 2 and not a Birdy 3 since this one has no mounting points for V-brakes ?

On my Birdy Titanium, the wheel size limit is ETRTO406 with 35mm wide tires. Bigger total diameter than 35x406 won't fit.

On the Birdy R20 SP11 Pacific Cycles mount Panaracer Monits Though 32x406 tires.

But there is maybe more space on a Birdy 1 or Birdy 2 ?
Likes For Jipe:
Old 04-05-22, 05:37 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 422 Posts
The reason I want to change the wheels is that my current hub/rim combination is requiring more frequent truing than usual. A company here in Japan manufactures a composite 451 wheel which would require no adjustments. In regards to the brakes, I’m running Avid Speed Dial levers which offer adjustable leverage. However, adjusting to higher leverage rates decreases the travel of the brake arms, meaning I have to reduce the clearance between the pads and the rims. The reduced clearance means the wheels must be more precisely trued.
Old 04-05-22, 07:42 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
The reason I want to change the wheels is that my current hub/rim combination is requiring more frequent truing than usual. A company here in Japan manufactures a composite 451 wheel which would require no adjustments. In regards to the brakes, I’m running Avid Speed Dial levers which offer adjustable leverage. However, adjusting to higher leverage rates decreases the travel of the brake arms, meaning I have to reduce the clearance between the pads and the rims. The reduced clearance means the wheels must be more precisely trued.
If 406 with shorter spokes is giving you problems, then I can't see how 451 will be better.
I would suggest looking a some other wheelset

I don't know about your weight, but the Tyrell wheels are pretty good and you can probably buy them 2nd hand at good prices as people seem to change them out from their new bikes.

I have had a bike swapped from 406 to 451 wheels and I feel that 451 is ultimately faster.
Added little bit of advantage in roll over, rpm losses and bit higher gearing.
These all add up if riding toe to toe with road bikes
Of course in the end, the higher gearing of 700c will win out if the riders can ride that gear for a significant distance.
Old 04-06-22, 02:41 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I’m running Avid Speed Dial levers which offer adjustable leverage. However, adjusting to higher leverage rates decreases the travel of the brake arms, meaning I have to reduce the clearance between the pads and the rims..
these are not adjustable for either liner pull or not linear pull. The avid can adjust the clearance and grabbing point but not the mechanical advantage. they are for Std V-brake and MTB mechanical disc
Tektro MT2.1 can do all types (Std Vbrakes, Cantilever/mini V brakes, side pull calipers, mtb mech disc and road mech disc
https://www.tektro.com/upload/Produc...2425Mq5EKP.PDF

Also, is you birdy a 20" or a 18"???
Old 04-28-22, 09:35 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I need to check out these Japan manufactured composite 451 wheel's ..link? picture?
And yes: 451 > 406 in more ways than one, for my needs anyway.