Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help me decide.. new set of handlebars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 06:21 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts

Time to ditch the decade+ old 3T Zepp XL; never a huge fan of the shape and too much drop anyway for me (I think roughly 145mm)

Here's what I've got it down to:
3T Tornova Team Stealth
Zipp Contour SL
Fizik Cyrano R1 Chameleon

Splitting hairs probably.. but any thoughts are appreciated. In theory, all else equal I'd choose the Fizik to match to stem, fork and seat. At the same time, I've never really been a logo-hound.
Old 03-04-16, 06:42 PM
seymour1910

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm sorry, you may feel that this adds nothing to your thread, but I vote for the Fizik and just matching everything up.

Here is my reason, and it's not completely about things having to match. If all those other bits are Fizik, that tells me you like them and find value in what you have already invested in. For that reason, I say go for the Fizik bars.
Old 03-05-16, 12:13 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Yeah, the Fizik, all else equal, would make the most sense. The Zipp and Tornova has a slightly flattened bar top though.. which I was a bit interested in, if the hype about long-time comfort are true. Can't tell with the Fizik, as I can't find anywhere more than just one photo of these bars, and it's the same photo on every website I've tried.

Like shoes, I would think bars are all about personal preference. Ie. probably not really any measureable performance differences in similar level/price models. Though, not sure how many stores/online accept returns. Mounting in an aluminum stem is bound to scratch the bar a bit.

Unfortunately, really nowhere I can go nearby to really compare any of these.
Old 03-05-16, 02:26 PM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
The Tornova is a very different shape from the other two. Do you want a modern variable radius drop or a modern round drop? And if you want variable radius, how much drop do you want? The Fizik is noticeably deeper than the Zipp.
Old 03-05-16, 04:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Fiery
The Tornova is a very different shape from the other two. Do you want a modern variable radius drop or a modern round drop? And if you want variable radius, how much drop do you want? The Fizik is noticeably deeper than the Zipp.
All good questions, and my answer is that I'm not really sure. Can someone speak to the pluses/minuses of round vs. variable shaped drop? I realize the Fizik is deeper drop than the Zipp by about 1cm. I'm coming from a bar that's even 1 cm more drop than the Fizik (I think my ZeppXL has a listed 148mm drop), and I find this too much, both from ergonomic and aesthetic perspective.

Some literature (eg. Fizik's) indicates shallower drops are for less flexible people, ie. why their "Bull" handlebars have less drop (130mm) than their Chameleon (135mm) or Snake (140mm) models. Then again, I can't imagine Zipp's many SL model carbon bars, with shallow drops, are aimed at inflexible amateurs. So, I'm a bit confused on this.
Old 03-05-16, 07:33 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I'd also ask if anyone can speak to the true advantage of carbon (vs alloy)? The Fizik and Tornova both come in an alloy version as well. The Fizik R3 (alloy) is $80, while the carbon R1 is $160 more -- and only saving 40 grams. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile tradeoff if you go by the $1/gram formula..
Old 03-05-16, 07:40 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'd also ask if anyone can speak to the true advantage of carbon (vs alloy)? The Fizik and Tornova both come in an alloy version as well. The Fizik R3 (alloy) is $80, while the carbon R1 is $160 more -- and only saving 40 grams. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile tradeoff if you go by the $1/gram formula..
There are only two real advantages carbon handlebars have over alloy:

1) Ergonomics. CF can be fashioned in much more variable ways than alloy pipe. See 3T Aeronova (the most pirated and knocked-off handlebar design in the world right now) and other wing-type handlebars. The medium simply offers a ton more shaping possibilities that can never be accomplished in alloy and can make for lots of comfort, see reviews of how badly the internal routing on the alloy 3T Aeronova works as proof.

2) CF won't corrode due to excessive sweat...which if you're a sweaty-dog can be an issue. Or if you live in ocean or salt-water adjacent areas can be a huge thing.

If you're just shopping for a round profile handlebar with minimal shaping, and have never had an alloy bar melt in 6 months from your sweat...then CF has precisely zero advantage to you. I say that as someone who uses a CF wing bar.
Old 03-05-16, 10:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
There are only two real advantages carbon handlebars have over alloy:

1) Ergonomics. CF can be fashioned in much more variable ways than alloy pipe. See 3T Aeronova (the most pirated and knocked-off handlebar design in the world right now) and other wing-type handlebars. The medium simply offers a ton more shaping possibilities that can never be accomplished in alloy and can make for lots of comfort, see reviews of how badly the internal routing on the alloy 3T Aeronova works as proof.

2) CF won't corrode due to excessive sweat...which if you're a sweaty-dog can be an issue. Or if you live in ocean or salt-water adjacent areas can be a huge thing.

If you're just shopping for a round profile handlebar with minimal shaping, and have never had an alloy bar melt in 6 months from your sweat...then CF has precisely zero advantage to you. I say that as someone who uses a CF wing bar.
Thanks for the insights. Sounds like if I end up going Toronova or Fizik then I really don't lose much opting for the alloy versions of their bars, which from what I can tell don't differ much if at all from their CF counterparts. I do sweat, but perhaps because I always wear a headsweats beanie under my helmet, there isn't much dropping on my bars -- mainly more on the stem, which is alloy mind you... but haven't had any issues yet.
Old 03-05-16, 11:11 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
2 years ago I tried a few different compact bars thanks to my LBS. I ended up buying a set of low end Deda bars to give them a long term test, and still use them today. I love the shape, and can't bring myself to to replace them with a lighter version, just to save about 3 ounces.
Old 03-06-16, 04:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by noodle soup
2 years ago I tried a few different compact bars thanks to my LBS. I ended up buying a set of low end Deda bars to give them a long term test, and still use them today. I love the shape, and can't bring myself to to replace them with a lighter version, just to save about 3 ounces.
I think I've settled going alloy, and have switched a bit to the Zipp SL-80. I figure a round top bar will give me room for that hot new bell that everyone's discussing. :-)
Old 03-06-16, 05:32 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I think I've settled going alloy, and have switched a bit to the Zipp SL-80. I figure a round top bar will give me room for that hot new bell that everyone's discussing. :-)
I've use CF bars in the past, and loved my old K-wings, but they are spendy(and those aren't lightweight). These Deda bars were stupid cheap, weigh less, and I love the shape. I just couldn't justify they cost of the lightweight version, when the ones I have worked so well. If they ever get damaged, then I'll spend a little more for the lighter version.
Old 03-06-16, 05:46 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

I've use CF bars in the past, and loved my old K-wings, but they are spendy(and those aren't lightweight). These Deda bars were stupid cheap, weigh less, and I love the shape. I just couldn't justify they cost of the lightweight version, when the ones I have worked so well. If they ever get damaged, then I'll spend a little more for the lighter version.
That is the problem with CF bars...to know if you like them just takes riding them....and screw spending $300USD for something that might not fit well.

It is part of why I have a $40USD Aeronova knockoff. I got it to test the design during the off-season of primarily rollers/trainer, where if it broke and I liked it, I'd order the genuine article.
Old 03-06-16, 06:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

That is the problem with CF bars...to know if you like them just takes riding them....and screw spending $300USD for something that might not fit well.

It is part of why I have a $40USD Aeronova knockoff. I got it to test the design during the off-season of primarily rollers/trainer, where if it broke and I liked it, I'd order the genuine article.
What's a bit frustrating, and the subject of a different topic, is about why my 13-yr old alloy bars (80mm reach, 148mm drop) weigh 205 grams, and to get that weight today you need to pay 4x more for CF. Anyway, supposedly it's due to newer regulations to keep us all safe. I'd keep using the old bars I have if I was ok with the ergo.
Old 03-06-16, 06:36 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

What's a bit frustrating, and the subject of a different topic, is about why my 13-yr old alloy bars (80mm reach, 148mm drop) weigh 205 grams, and to get that weight today you need to pay 4x more for CF. Anyway, supposedly it's due to newer regulations to keep us all safe. I'd keep using the old bars I have if I was ok with the ergo.
Call me a skeptic...but I suspect it is all profit margin as to cost.

The problem with buying legit CF handlebars...is...well...even the B&M retailers have been found with fakes in retail packaging on shelves. The fakes are that good, that unless you look with a forensic comb, you might be faked. Further some of the legit articles don't have a warranty worth spitting on IRL.
Old 03-06-16, 06:48 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seymour1910
I'm sorry, you may feel that this adds nothing to your thread, but I vote for the Fizik and just matching everything up.

Here is my reason, and it's not completely about things having to match. If all those other bits are Fizik, that tells me you like them and find value in what you have already invested in. For that reason, I say go for the Fizik bars.
I second the motion. But....

These Deda bars were stupid cheap, weigh less, and I love the shape. I just couldn't justify the cost of the lightweight version, when the ones I have worked so well. If they ever get damaged, then I'll spend a little more for the lighter version.
Deda ftw.
Last round I justified spending a little more for the Superleggera bars and stem because I saved a lot by not getting the super-light frame.
Old 03-06-16, 06:53 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Call me a skeptic...but I suspect it is all profit margin as to cost.
The pessimist in me wants to agree with you. While a CF bike sells for about 30% more (1.3x) than its alloy counterpart, I think the equipment makers see a bit of a money tree exacting a 3-4x markup on a CF piece that's achievable by showing a weight savings. I think the model would fall apart fairly quickly if you had 200g alloy and 200g CF handlebars next to each other on the shelf.
Old 03-06-16, 06:56 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Ritchey?